The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interest rates cut to 3%

caliAl

I don't agree, what would you have them do instead, keep it at the current unmaintainable levels or raise it?

Why is it unmaintainable? Because you can't pay your mortgage? I'm sorry about that, mate - really I am - I guess you'll be downsizing. But some people are going to suffer because of all this - we've all had it good for the last 20 years and now it's over......

Edit: (in response to your edit ;) ):

Yep. There's going to pain and it's going to be really messy.

But don't think that happily propping up stupidly high house prices stops it happening - it just delays it.

I'm not worried about "propping up the economy" - there's much more important things than money that are at risk in the long term.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get real, they all put their rates UP this week, prior to the announcement. The banks are screwed, they will pass the rate cut on- to savers- and up the rate to borrowers, to try and recover some liquidity.

This will take years to unfold.

Depends on what type of mortgage you have. Mine HAS to pass on the savings.

No, rates ARE GOING UP NOW.

Never say you as a reader of the Sun :D. The rates for Abbey only went up on trackers for new customers. They went down for their customers.

Why is it unmaintainable? Because you can't pay your mortgage? I'm sorry about that, mate - really I am - I guess you'll be downsizing. But some people are going to suffer because of all this - we've all had it good for the last 20 years and now it's over......

No problems with paying my mortgage you'll be pleased to hear, I just appreciate being able to spend more on liquor and hard drugs.

Edit: (in response to your edit ;) ):

Yep. There's going to pain and it's going to be really messy.

But don't think that happily propping up stupidly high house prices stops it happening - it just delays it.

Ah I see, you should get yourself down to the bank of England and explain to those fat cats their mistake then. ;)

No you're all wrong!! this is bad news!1! you'll be losing more money!!twelve! It's the end of teh World!!!3.1415732!!

:blink: *runs home to hide in his house with a cheaper mortgage payment*

Someone said in a thread recently that this is a car forum and the people on here are car enthusiasts not (insert subject they were on about)... I thought it a very good comment at the time. We all have opinions on this subject but unless we have very strong economic backgrounds we don't really understand the bigger picture. Those 'blokes' at the Bank of England I think its safe to say know slightly more than we do on this subject and have a vested interest in making sure the country doesnt go to the dogs.

I take it all back. All those politicians and bankers have never proved themselves anything except 100% trustworthy! ;) :D

Good job they are not either then isn't it. THey are 100% independant of the government and as far as I am aware only work for the Bank of England (which isn't really a bank of sorts)

Good or bad? I don't know. But inevitable really, and apparently no big surprise to whoever/whatever the big players are out there - the GBP/USD exchange rate hasn't even bothered to get up off the couch to make a cup of tea.

The arrogant posturing that this is a decisive move designed to shock the markets into action is laughable - these days they're the tail not the dog.

The independance of the BoE has been questioned a lot lately...

Just another cynical forum poster here :D

Those 'blokes' at the Bank of England I think its safe to say know slightly more than we do on this subject and have a vested interest in making sure the country doesnt go to the dogs.

And the people who caused the financial meltdown / credit crunch were......... who exactly? Oh yes - the bankers who know so much. ;)

This is what the country needs to stay afloat right now. Small business are going to the wall every day as their margins are too tight .... but is this the end ... or will be there be another cut just before the next election ?

I'm on my lenders SVR at the moment and thats good news for me as they have already said its down by 1.5% :D

I'm not going to even think about remortgaging until autumn next year when the deals should be a little more favourable ... til then SVR of 5% suits just fine.

And the people who caused the financial meltdown / credit crunch were......... who exactly? Oh yes - the bankers who know so much. ;)

Good job they are not either then isn't it. THey are 100% independant of the government and as far as I am aware only work for the Bank of England (which isn't really a bank of sorts)

As above... they are not bankers to my knowledge... not as you mean.

As above... they are not bankers to my knowledge... not as you mean.

I'd be pretty surprised to learn that the skills required to work in Bank of England were radically different than the skills required to be a senior exec at Barclays / Lloyds / Halifax etc. etc.

The idea that the people in charge of "banks" are stupid enough to get us into this mess - but the people in BoE are a whole different bunch and know what they're doing - is a little hard for me to believe.

But maybe I'm just bitter. I have no debt, and apparently the benefit of that would be that my savings would now get more interest under my mattress.........

I liked how people get so emotional about it. I just see the mortgage as cheaper and that = good.

Probably the best way to look at it. I haven't studied economics for a few years now, but (I'm afriad to tell you) even the best economists really have no idea how big the impending recession will be, and therefore what is really the best thing to do with the BoE rate.

Even if my over-the-top apocalyptic predictions are reasonable accurate, only a small minority of people really suffer seriously - and I seriously doubt that minority includes anyone who would be frequenting a performance car enthusiats forum! :cool:

I'd be pretty surprised to learn that the skills required to work in Bank of England were radically different than the skills required to be a senior exec at Barclays / Lloyds / Halifax etc. etc.

The idea that the people in charge of "banks" are stupid enough to get us into this mess - but the people in BoE are a whole different bunch and know what they're doing - is a little hard for me to believe.

But maybe I'm just bitter. I have no debt, and apparently the benefit of that would be that my savings would now get more interest under my mattress.........

To be fair they are a different sort of banker, I can't think of a clear analogy at the moment though. However the BoE have very little to do with Cleatus & Leroy defaulting on their pre-fabs in a Vegas suburb.