The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Insurance problems!!

Havard

Really pi$$ed off now!!

I have recently had plans to go for either a BPU TT or a single but I have started looking round for prices on a single (as I have seen one that I might like...;)) but no one will touch me........:(

I am 34, Wigan WN post code, clean licence, no fault accidents in the last 5 years, I do 30K miles in the company Mondeo, 2 - 3 K in Vicki's Beemer and about 4K in the Supe..!!

I have heard different reasons for not insuring me that range from postcode problem, company car NCB is not counted, don't insure modified cars and the best one was that I don't have experience of driving a 500hp car.

How TF are you supposed to get experience if you can't insure the car. After speaking to Sky, A-plan, AON & Elephant, I am still without anyone who will even give me a silly price.......:blink::rolleyes: One way or another they have all had excuses not to cover me. If I did get a single I would only do about 3k miles a year in it.

Question is, who can I try besides those mentioned above? I will ring Adrian Flux and Lancaster tomorrow but it's not looking good if I ever want to get a single!!

If I want a TT then AON my current insurer will cover me quite gladly, the thought of 500hp does seem attractive......:eyebrows:

Help please??

H.

I'm with Adrian Flux; £630 I think my premium is (aged 30, 7 years no claims, garaged, cat1, nice area, blah blah). They are cocks when it comes to the agreed value (making me jump through all sorts of hoops to prove it's value and then moving the goalposts every time I did ) but fine everywhere else so far.

Go for limited mileage to get the premium down, if you're sure you'll only do ~4k. I signed up to 5k miles, will drop that next year as I doubt I'll get that many done between now and the year being up.

Don't know how up to date this is but these are insurance ratings on postcode.

WN Wigan

1-4, 7 - Rated F*

5-6 - Rated E*

8 - Rated D*

A = Low Risk

F = High Risk

Cheers Paul. I am WN2 with no garage......:( I live at the bottom of the worlds quietest cul de sac but that seems to account for fook all....:rolleyes:

My main problem has always been that I struggle to get a recognised no claims as I have driven company cars for the past 8 years. I have 7 years NCB before that but it was all lost when I got promoted at work. Didn't see the problem at the time as I would never need my own car again.......:rolleyes:

I'll try a few more tomorrow but I am losing the will to live now!!

H.

I once looked at buying a single a few years ago and struggled to find sensible insurance quotes. I think £1200 was quoted.

That was when I still had the NA - glad I stuck with a normal TT in the end.

You were thinking of putting a turbo on your NA? IMHO a TT engine conversion would be the best way to go.

You were thinking of putting a turbo on your NA? IMHO a TT engine conversion would be the best way to go.

Seems a reasonable idea but I saw this single and at least wanted to compare all the pros and cons. I am not sure what to do for the best in all honesty!!

Go BPU on the TT for now, at least until you build up your own NCB a little more, then go single? Seems stupid that they wont even QUOTE you, let along give you silly figure! :rolleyes:

Aaaahh!! The other problem is that AON do not give you no claims bonus as I am on a classic policy. I benefited from the low insurance quote initially but it seems that my lack of NCB is costing me big time!!

H.

TBH mate thinking about what you said on the phone :) and I think you need a "Havard needs to make his mind up NW meet" and go out in a few different cars from stock TT, BPU and Single both Manual and auto(stock and BL) because I think there is a big difference in all of them. I would be very surprised if there isn't at least one company out there that won't insure you or even Mrs H ;) on a single. When I first went single Mrs Wild was the policy holder and it made a big difference. I was upfront and told them that we both used it like 50 50 and they were fine about that.

TBH mate thinking about what you said on the phone :) and I think you need a "Havard needs to make his mind up NW meet" and go out in a few different cars from stock TT, BPU and Single both Manual and auto(stock and BL) because I think there is a big difference in all of them. I would be very surprised if there isn't at least one company out there that won't insure you or even Mrs H ;) on a single. When I first went single Mrs Wild was the policy holder and it made a big difference. I was upfront and told them that we both used it like 50 50 and they were fine about that.

I like that idea I have full no claims and I'm an over 30 lady driver :D

Vicki x

I like that idea I have full no claims and I'm an over 30 lady driver :D

Vicki x

But using me for insurance purposes comes at a cost i.e. my name on the V5:d

Vicki x

Thats prob your best hope. (would suggest getting this moved to members only if you are going to do that though.)

I remember insuring my single @ 19 or 20.....it was a nightmare!

I had to bend bits of thruth. (dear mr new guy @ elephant, i have blown my turbo's and cant afford 2 so am going to replace them with 1 bigger one.)

Now im 100% by the book and have been for the last 2 years, still pay £1000 for to approx 5 times i use the car in a year.

On a side note harvard, its prob because your getting on a bit now and they think you wouldnt be able to handle the power :innocent::p