The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Forced induction 4-AGE Toyota 1600

Chris Wilson

I have just started on my project of turbo charging a 4-AGE Toyota 1600 Formula Atlantic engine in my Zeus racer. It's off to Primary Designs on Wednesday for a manifold to be made. After that I need to address throttle body(ies), plenum, throttle cable, injectors and fuelling set up, engine management and intercooling. I also need to look at heat insulation issues, a turbo drain set up, and eventually, mapping. Any interest in me doing a brief documentary on this as it slowly progresses?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure Rob, I can upload them to a web server as thumbnails if you like? May I ask why not ftp. just curious, is it slow?

Anyway, this is the car in its present form, externally I expect that very little will change. probably just the deletion of the air box, which interferes with the back wing air flow anyway. I may will draw cold air from a filter in one of the side pods and blank off the rear body opening for the air box.

07-07-06-Donington-Zeus-Toyota.jpg

Look forward to updates, how about mitsubishi evo 9gt turbo, good for 400 bhp, on a 2 litre lump it made full boost at about 2500rpm and with internal wastegate in sure fitting would be straight forward and good for keeping the noise down, price wont be bad either.

This thing ticks over at about that RPM :) Thanks Jamie, I am just not qualified to make a turbo sizing judgement. I have just left it to someone who has never let me down before, he's sending whatever he decides to Primary Designs as an empty package to dummy the manifold from. Packaging is a big issue, so if I can get away with an internal `gate it may help, and I am told that a divided housing might be better.

OK, I tend to close the app rather than go back, too. PITA :) I'll try and upload pics to a web server then. i was being lazy, just transferring photos to another directory is dead quick and easy, making thumbnails and then uploading can get tedious!

Here are some pics of the bay as was, and now stripped of stock headers and exhaust pipe, and stripped of the twin 48DCOE Webers.

http://www.gatesgarth.com/4age/4age.html

Jenvey will supply some very short throttle bodies and the injector rail, as well as one of their new turbo plenums that bolts right up to their bodies. There's a slight chance i will use spacers and a single throttle body, but the better response of individual ones is tempting, despite the added cost.

Had to make decision today on what turbo to use, I asked my tame turbo expert, and he said a Garrett GT3071R with a .64 A/R would be a good start point, and Turbo Dynamics and Owen Developments concurred, so I have ordered one of these to do initial trials with. Turbo Dynamics are shipping a bare turbo to the fabricators to arrive tomorrow. The T28 footprint helps a lot, as the installation is very tight (see IrfanView HTML-Thumbnails if interested, but not updated from earlier). I took the car down to Thame this morning and Primary Designs are making and fitting an Inconel manifold, the support bracketry for the turbo, and a silenced exhaust system, all thermally coated in Zircotec. I have used Primary Designs for an F3 system, and for some prototype work before, and can't speak highly enough of this company. They now take on some general motor sport fabrication work, too, so there's less to-ing a fro-ing than there used to be, as they can fabricate ancillary stuff in house. I justify their high prices by telling myself 60% of the F1 grid can't be wrong in using them :) The guys there are a genuinely enthusiastic and helpful bunch who happily share a wealth of knowledge gleaned at the highest levels. They were making a new Arrows BMW Megatron turbo manifold, for an historic F1 car, and it was truly a work of art, more deserving of the Tate Modern than any exhibit I have yet seen on the TV ;) They should have a gallery on their web site, some of things they make are very deserving of photographic record. I can't understand why they haven't...

http://www.primarydesigns.co.uk is their place.

I am initially committed to this turbo now, so we'll see how it goes.

I have decided to struggle and remake the rear bodywork to accommodate and air to air I/C.

I may well run some cams with less duration when I have the engine out for the low compression pistons and refresh. The data logging in the new Motec ECU will accommodate the 4 K type thermocouples that were in the original N/A manifold, so I am having bosses welded in the turbo manifold primaries to log the EGT's on each cylinder, which should be handy. It was a bit OTT on an N/A engine, but I didn't pay for them, and their amplifiers, they came with the cars digi dash. :)

Looking forward to a sound clip of it in action, The stock Atlantic engine at 10k sounds awesome enough.

Funny enough im in talks with someone at present about converting their Atlantic engine to run Seq Ign and FI at present. He is going to be using the Solaris S4c.

Not sure if we will be doing it at AER or Swindon race engines yet. Which ever has a cradle for the engine already i expect.

Ryan

Primary Designs reckon it may be done by the end of this week, so should be picking it up at the weekend or early next week. I have sent some stranger a 50 quid deposit by Paypal on a 4-AGZE engine (that's the supercharged one, the block has oil squirters for cooling pistons. He hasn't acknowledged the deposit, and his mobile now has a message that he's having trouble with voice mail, and to either try again later or send a text. My antennae are quivering.... Still, if he comes good I can build the engine on another block and leave the Atlantic one untouched in case this all turns to sand. I'll also have a spare late head and a supercharger and manifolding to sell to MR2 people.

Pat at Primary has promised some photos of the manifold in bare Inconel, before it's sent for ceramic coating, I'll post them up.

I have decided that some softer cams are a good idea, so will search out possibilities next. Need to re install a charging system, do a wiring loom for injectors and ancillary sensors, and fit the Motec. Need to make a fuel swirl pot and high pressure fuel system. need to buy throttle bodies, fuel rail and injectors, and buy / make a Plenum. Jenvey are bringing out a cast alloy plenum for their bodies, but it's now been put back to next year, I may have to get something fabricated, which could be costly :(

I also need to source an air filter for the turbo, have an intercooler made and make mounts for it, and, (bodywork which I hate...), make moulds to have an air scoop produced to feed the I/C.