The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheres the photographers ?

chris2o2

Looking for some advice please from anyone that knows about these Digital SLR camera's.

I've noticed until thursday Argos have the Nikon D40 at a good price - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5606416/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|10198049/c_2/2|cat_10198049|Digital%2BSLR%2Bcameras|10198110.htm

Now i'm just starting to take a real interest in photography and would like a nice camera , simple to use and something i can hopefully get some good results with .

Is this gonna be a good purchase ? Any other recomendations ? I was told to avoid Sony cameras and stick with Nikon/Canon .

Budget is about £400 MAX ! Any advice or recomendations please :D

Thanks .

Well I'm a Canon fan, but yes I'd stick with Canon or Nikon, reason being is that there's so much more choice for lenses out there. The Sony DSLR's are supposedly excellent though.

If you have a budget of £400 max, I'd be looking more at the Nikon D60 or Canon 1000D. The D40 is only 6mp, which is a bit low by today's standards.

Jessops prices are actually very good for SLR's, they can't beat the Argos price for that D40 though, but I think they price match?

http://www.jessops.com/Products/SearchResults.aspx?CatId=481&ManIds=1159,1462,&MaxPrice=500&SortBy=SkuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&PageSize=20

Sub £400. Canon 350D (I have one) 400D or 450D. Never used the nikons so cannot comment. Tom is a Nikon man, maybe worth dropping him a message.....

450D's haven't dropped to under £400 yet as far as I am aware, and I don't think you'd be able to buy a 350D any more (I think you'd struggle with the 400D too).

The 1000D is Canon's new budget DSLR.

Thanks guys , still a bit unsure though - Lui , that D60 looks like the one to go for then . Part of me thinks buy the best you can afford but for a complete beginer is there any point in spending a few hundred more for a camera i'll probarly never use to its full potential . I was looking at a mates Olympus but for reason's Thorin has pointed out i think i'll avoid them , the lenses seem much more expensive !

I think next day off a visit to my local Jessops for some advice/play with the camera's.

I would not rule out Olympus matey. I'm an olympus man my self :D

I started out with this kit and its a really good buy for the money. I paid closer to 500 quid when I got mine though. It comes with two really good kit lenses http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLYMPUS-E510-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-2-LENS-KIT-E-510_W0QQitemZ290270981114QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290270981114&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Yeah, Olympus only have a limted number of lenses avaliable in their range and they are expensive but most are very highly regarded. My next purhase will be their 11-22mm lens, but its nearly more than I paid for camera :taped: Dont forget though you can also buy cheaper Sigma lenses for any olympus camera.

The colours you get from the olympus sensor are fantastic. Ive attached a few of my pics :D

Any of the above mentioned cameras will do you just fine, what you have to realise with SLR's is that the lens is the the biggest importance when taking a picture, along with the eye behind it of course.

I would work out what pictures you enjoy taking (thisd might take a while) and try to get a lens that will suit that area, as you get better you will invest in new lenses.

I learnt early on that you can't buy cheap lenses and expect excellent sharp pictures.(there are exceptions )

But for now a kit lens is ok, learn the fundamentals of photography and as you get better and if you enjoy it buy a new lens or 2 0r 3, it can be an expensive hobby but doesn't have to be :).

I am now about ready for an upgrade on my current SLR (350d)

I am looking at the 40 D or the 5D

Make sure you get a couple of batteries too and a large SD card.

Enjoy

I have a D80, when I called Jessops to confirm a deal I got like an extra 35quid off too, Jessops are in trouble afaik, you may be able to banter with them

Lens are key, be prepared to pay the same again for a good lens-the Vibration Reduction on some of the Nikon Lens comes in handy for a novice like me

I bought a D60 with the VR lens a few months ago as my first DSLR, it's great and easy to use to start with to get very good results but also has all the features and settings to use it at a more advanced level.

I'd recommend the VR lens if it's within your price range (they do a version that comes with it) as it allows you to take shots in lower light without getting so much blur, and it really does work well.