The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The official Series 12 Top Gear thread.

jamesmark

Does all this really matter???

That depends on whether you think lying about a product that you are pretending to review is important or not.

You either like watching it or you dont.

Are those the only two choices? I like to see the cars in action and some aspects of the presentation style. I don't like the deception, whether that's made up figures about environmental issues (e.g. the miscalculations about train pollution), 'spontaneous' incidents that never really happened, or misleading reports implying that cars had problems which they didn't.

A little too much is being read into all this me thinks.

There's no excessive 'reading into' anything here. It's straightforward: they lied about what happened on one of their reviews, which is really different to lying during one of the 'challenges'. It calls into question what is shown on the reviews. What else is conveniently fixed on the car reviews for entertainment purposes? Top speeds? Lap times? Reliability issues?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I guess I don't like a programme when I can't tell what's phoney and what's real. It's a shame, because I used to watch TG all the way through and enjoy it, before the journalism became secondary to the egos.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm in the minority

No, im with you on this.

I usually enjoy the light hearted stuff and if i am honest i ignore the top speeds and lap times, but to deceive about new technology is plain stupid. There is i suppose a good chance they are part sponsored by some fuel company or another, but leaving that conspiracy theory to one side, yes it does matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this highlights the problems with media based hysteria. How about we stop reading the newspapers and relax. Too much hyper over nothing. The world isn't ending. There's nothing we can do about global warming apart from wait it out until the earth goes through this normal and nessasary phase and begins to cool down a bit.

Just go about your lives and stop worrying about things beyond our control...

If only it was that simple...

Interesting divergence in the accounts:

Clarkson in Times

Tesla could not complain about what was shown because it was there. And here’s the strange thing. It didn’t. But someone did. Loudly and to every newspaper in the world.

Wired.com

Tesla spokesman Rachel Konrad dropped us a line to clarify a few points in Top Gear's test.

First and foremost, she says, the lithium-ion batteries in the two cars never went dead. In fact, they never fell below 20 percent charge. "They never had to push a car off the track because of lack of charge or a fault," and it isn't clear why the segment included footage showing exactly that, she said.

Clarkson Tesla, when contacted by reporters, gave its account of what happened and it was exactly the same as ours. It explained that the brakes had stopped working because of a blown fuse and didn’t question at all our claim that the car would have run out of electricity after 55 miles. [my italics]

New York Times. Ms. Konrad said in an interview that the E.P.A.-certified range of the Tesla Roadster was actually 240 miles, but “if you’re constantly pushing 0-to-60 and running at the top speed of 120 miles per hour, it, like gasoline cars, will have lower range.”

But she said she couldn’t understand how the show calculated 55 (or 53) miles. [My italics]

No matter what he says, the sequence shows the car apparently breaking down on the track and being pushed back to the garage as a consequence - which isn't what happened.

The 'green issues' in his article are neither here nor there - just a smokescreen for a basic lack of journalistic integrity. I despise him more than ever.