The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Addicted to my own reality TV show...

Digsy

Since fitting my own CCTV system (three cameras watching the front, back and entrance hall to my house), I've found that I've become strangely addicted to watching what goes on when I'm not around.

The whole system totally takes care of itself. It only records when something is there to record - it can even e-mail me to tell me something has happened, so there's no need to monitor it at all. But I can also log into any PC (or, to make matters worse, from my mobile phone)and view what's going on in real time.

I've found myself being oddly elated when the postman arrives (really good footage of him today). I'm also slightly dissappointed that since fitting the system my window cleaner has stopped calling.

The other day I was watching in real time and caught a hegdehog on my drive.

I know I should get out more, but the thing is - I'm already out. :rolleyes:

Anyone who wants to be as sad as me can buy a system from here:

http://www.myhome247.co.uk

Starter kits from £250 (you also need to buy a subscription for the storage of the video footage. The biggest (250Mb) costs £12 per month. text message alerts cost extra, too.

The sensors are wireless (not wifi) but you do need a router and hard wired ethernet points for the cameras. I put wired network points all around my house while I was installing the system.

I've attached my hedgehog footage.

lol totally relate to this. at the beginning of the year we got 32 cameras installed at work! and I have access to them all! for the first few weeks i always had the software on my screen. now i just use it to spy on my juniours to make sure they're not bunking off, and to see if there is a queue in the cafeteria!

I like the sound of such a system, I don't like the sound of paying a monthly charge for it though.

The MyHome starter kit comes with a free 5Mb account, but you will use that up very fast if something happens worth recording. There's only £2 difference between the 50Mb account and the 250Mb account, so there's no real point in having the 50Mb one. Also you can only connect two items to the "hub" if you are not paying for a subscription.

There's zillions of systems available that use local storage, though (try Maplins). The upside of remote storage is that it can't be tampered with or damaged.

I've attached my hedgehog footage.

Aww exciting stuff indeed. I would have to wait in all day to see something like that, and then it wouldn't happen! Damn those cute, furry, fluffy, spikey critters! :D

That .mov file looks like something that's been saved on a Mac. Is that what you are using? Or not? :)

Nah, I'm Bill Gates' biatch when it comes to anything to do with computers (I even have a Windows smartphone). :)

The cameras encode as MJPEG or MPEG4. When it uploads to the storage server it gets transcoded to .mov which rather annoyingly means you have to have Quicktime installed to view the clips.

I'm addicted to my own cctv too, but then you knew that, Digsy!

I have the fore-runner of Digsy's setup - the Motorola Homesight. Commented on it a few times in the past - and it's been useful once or twice when kids have tried to interfere with the cars.

Its amazing who you find landing on your driveway...

The car only just fits down the side of the house: