The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ebay item not as described

stevie_b

If I may bounce ideas off you...

I've just bought a laptop from a private seller on ebay. It was described as "brand new, never been used" (the exact words used). I was surprised, then, to start it up and someone's name appeared at the top of the start menu (it runs WinXP), meaning it's been turned on and set up by someone at the very least.

Now, the laptop is in very good condition, but it's the principle of it. If someone describes something so unequivically unused as she did, I don't expect to find it having been used (even if it's only a bit of use).

Unfortunately in my eagerness to use it, I've restored the laptop back to its original configuration, so that will have destroyed any evidence of previous use (apart from the start menu name, which I remembered). Before I restored it, I checked Outlook Express and Internet Explorer: from a casual glance both looked unused.

I've written a message back to the seller explaining this, but no reply yet.

What would others do? I don't know whether to just let it lie, or to chase it further.

I wouldn't dream of describing things incorrectly, and I expect others to do the same. It's the principle of it.

P.S. does anyone know if I should have been supplied with any installation CDs with the laptop (Advent 4211)? Searching for this info online, it seems a bit random as to what's supplied. Maybe someone on here works for PC World (the main seller of this model)....

I wouldnt worry about it, most machines are checked by logging on to them just to make sure they work. Bit like delivery mileage on a new car really.

More important things to worry about would include checking to see if it was stolen etc.

Most machines no longer come with installation CD's, its all downloaded now ... unless you have specific drivers that are not factory standards.

You'll always find what you need on the web...

Ebay is mainly for cheap things so I wouldnt expect too much from anybody selling on ebay ... set your expectations a little lower maybe ... or go to PC World (that's a joke before any jumps on it !). :D

Yeah, you're probably right. It just pi$$es me off when people mis-describe things so blatantly. If I sold a pair of jeans on ebay as brand new, that would mean they are literally brand new and unused, it doesn't mean that I've worn them down the pub a couple of times but took good care not to spill my beer on them.

Yeah, you're probably right. It just pi$$es me off when people mis-describe things so blatantly. If I sold a pair of jeans on ebay as brand new, that would mean they are literally brand new and unused, it doesn't mean that I've worn them down the pub a couple of times but took good care not to spill my beer on them.

Although it's hard to prove either way - and she might have used it lots - if I'd powered up a PC and literally logged on / made sure it works (but nothing else) then I think I'd probably consider it was unused.

If I bought some jeans, tried them on and didn't like them / decided I was too fat and they didn't really fit then I'd say they were unused too. But not if I'd worn them out obviously.

How much did you pay for it compared to it's brand spanking new price in the shops? If it's a fair amount less then stop moaning :p

If it works and it's not scratched or bumped or anything, then there shouldn't be a problem really. And as has been said, most computers and laptops these days come with everything pre-installed so they're litterely plug-and-play, so everything should already be on there.