The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate retention question?

st3ven1

If I pay the £105 to put a plate on retention, does that cover the cost of putting it on my next car or will i still have to pay a £80 fee? Also how long will it take to get the relevant paperwork through with the cars original number plate on?

Thanks,

Steven.

I assume the amount of time for putting an age related plate on would be the same as when you put a private plate on. I've just had a private plate put on my bike and it took 2-3 weeks.

I don't know - but I suspect you would have to pay again to transfer it from certificate to car.

I assume the amount of time for putting an age related plate on would be the same as when you put a private plate on. I've just had a private plate put on my bike and it took 2-3 weeks.

I don't know - but I suspect you would have to pay again to transfer it from certificate to car.

ISTR that you can't transfer a plate from a bike to a car nowadays, do you know if that's right?

ISTR that you can't transfer a plate from a bike to a car nowadays, do you know if that's right?

Er - I really really hope not. This wasn't a plate I wanted - my mate is in America for a couple of years, and saw it for sale. I don't know why - but for some reason, it couldn't stay on certificate and had to be put on a vehicle so he asked if he could put it on one of mine.

I have private plates on both my cars, which only left the bike.

I hope that it could be done if it went to a certificate first? Otherwise, he's going to be well unhappy - he paid almost £2k for this plate!

From here :

http://www.vrm-group.co.uk/index-bike.htm

In the past it was not possible to transfer your plates from your bike to any other vehicle than another motorbike.In the past couple of years this law has been scrapped so that now you are free to transfer your personal registration to any taxed and tested vehicles.

I might use this opportunity to wind my mate up though. :)

I can't remember for sure, Dave. I have a private plate on my FireBlade and I seem to remember thinking "That's a bugger, I'll have trouble selling that on now" when I heard about the no bike --> Car transfers thing. I just can;t remember how reliable the source was though. Like you, I hope it's not true.

I can't remember for sure, Dave. I have a private plate on my FireBlade and I seem to remember thinking "That's a bugger, I'll have trouble selling that on now" when I heard about the no bike --> Car transfers thing. I just can;t remember how reliable the source was though. Like you, I hope it's not true.

Posts crossed - see my answer a few posts up. Looks like it used to be the case but not anymore - fortunately!

From here :

http://www.vrm-group.co.uk/index-bike.htm

In the past it was not possible to transfer your plates from your bike to any other vehicle than another motorbike.In the past couple of years this law has been scrapped so that now you are free to transfer your personal registration to any taxed and tested vehicles.

I might use this opportunity to wind my mate up though. :)

Ah! So it was true! but not now. Phew.

Cheers Dave

That link isn't quite right actually because I tried it in about 1998.

As the rules were then, you couldn't transfer a plate TO a bike from anything other than another bike. However, you COULD transfer a 'bike plate' to a car - once it was on a car it could never go back to a bike. So at that time, bike plates were actually more desirable as they could be transferred to bike or car - just not back again from a car.

I wanted a 'TAZ' plate for my bike and had to go to a motorcycle dealer in N. Ireland who had one on a bike. The same number ended up on Angies Supra a few years ago and is now owned by BlueCoup on here.

These days, though it could be transferred to anything, as they scrapped the rules. (As has already been said)

I'm going to try to get hold of my mate later today and inform him that I've been told it's not possible to transfer a plate from a bike to a car.

I may even search later - maybe I'll be able to find an out of date web site which says it. I'm going to enjoy myself lots. :)