The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mclaren f1

erol_h

Gordon Murray understood the 2 primary goals for a seriously fast road car that's actually usable on normal roads and on track days. Small and very light. All other "Supercar" designers lose sight of one or both of these necessities. A well driven 106 GTi can lose a huge barge down country roads by the very fact it can stay on its own side of the road and not follow cambers and head for the ditch. The other huge advantage the McLaren has over a Veyron is its pure technical simplicity. A competent home mechanic could work on the mechanicals. How long would an 80,000 miler Veyron spend and cost in workshops compared to the McLaren?? I'd love to know some of the less well published facts :)

Really??

You must have be a dwarf then to fit in the back of those seats!! :D

The F1 is quite spacious inside, I was quite lucky and got to sit in one and steer it through the warehouse when I worked for McLaren - It was a race spec one too with full roll cage and switches. Will never forget that moment :D Also got to hear a road version fired up, it sounded great!

I thought you could only sell an F1 by going through McLaren?

F1 LM over a Veyron any day for me

The F1 is quite spacious inside, I was quite lucky and got to sit in one and steer it through the warehouse when I worked for McLaren - It was a race spec one too with full roll cage and switches. Will never forget that moment :D Also got to hear a road version fired up, it sounded great!

Lucky lucky man :)

IIRC That orange race spec one has been promised to Lewis Hamilton if he wins the championship this year.

Wow, that would be some incentive I tell ya :)

I thought you could only sell an F1 by going through McLaren?

F1 LM over a Veyron any day for me

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/McLaren_F1_LM.jpg/800px-McLaren_F1_LM.jpg

What a lucky guy you are then...:D

IIRC That orange race spec one has been promised to Lewis Hamilton if he wins the championship this year.

Lucky b**tard!! :(

That's why it's pretty irrelevant that diesels have more torque than petrols - they are higher geared because they rev lower so less reaches the wheels.

I don't follow what you mean as you still have variable gearing, the extra torque of diesels makes them better than equivalent petrol models for overtaking with them having superior torque levels. :)

I don't follow what you mean as you still have variable gearing, the extra torque of diesels makes them better than equivalent petrol models for overtaking with them having superior torque levels. :)

they have more peak torque than equivalent petrols but they are only producing it at low rpm which means the work done isn't what it seems to be, it is always better to produce torque at high rpm as HP is a function of torque and rises quickly with rpm. To get proper speeds out of a diesel that doesn't go any harder than 5k, you'd need tall gearing which reduces the torque at the wheels.

Let's say you have 2 engines, one produces 100ftlbs torque but revs to 10000 revs. The other 200ftlbs but only revs to 5000rpm. You want you car to have a top speed of 100mph. Engine one you have to gear to produce 1mph per 100rpm. Engine two you have to gear to produce 2mph per 100rpm to achieve this. So engine 1 has twice the torque reaching the wheels as engine 2 because of the gearing - result: they both deliver the same torque to the wheels. Obviously the other gears are spread out underneath the final gearing.

That was my point, I wasn't talking about maximum speeds but acceleration using the gears. :)

Yeah but you need a pretty even spread under the top gear down to 1st or it would be horrible. So as well as top being taller for lower rpm the others will be too.