The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance companies

DaveK

Insurance is due soon, so yesterday I phoned around for some quotes. I left my current insurers until last (not had the renewal yet) and Sky had given me (easily) the best quote up to that point.

My current insurers price was better than most - but still significantly more expensive than Sky, so I told them I would not be renewing. I was then told that Sky couldn't possibly be beating their quote with similar cover - and clearly they had higher excess (I pointed out Sky's excess was £50 less than my existing policy). I was somewhat insulted that the guy assumed I choose insurance purely by price without checking what it includes.

But today, it got worse. I received my proof of NCD - and while it should say 10 years, it actually says : 2.

When I bought the Supra, I hadn't sold my old car. I called to take out a new policy and transfer the NCD to it - they told me I didn't have to do that, they'd give me an introductory discount while I sold the Focus and then do the transfer when I sold it. Which they did.

But when I call them now, I'm told "you don't really have 9 years, you had an introductory discount". I pointed out that I've been insured with them for a total of 4 years - so even if I'd started with nothing I must have more than 2!

I am now waiting for "Gary" to call me back since he wasn't there when I called and he is apparently the main man. He is also somebody who will never get my insurance again.

If they don't agree, I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to prove my NCD - I guess I can by going back through previous insurers. And if I can do that - my next call will be to the insurance ombudsman!

Who are they?

It's a broker - 2G (2Gether).

They did call back - and can find no record of my insurance with them before the Supra which I bought 2 years ago.

On Monday, I have to fax them letters and insurance certificates dating back to 2004 proving their incompetence.

It's a broker - 2G (2Gether).

They did call back - and can find no record of my insurance with them before the Supra which I bought 2 years ago.

On Monday, I have to fax them letters and insurance certificates dating back to 2004 proving their incompetence.

That's horrendous! :blink:

My concern is that although I can prove they did have my insurance before that, it's less easy for me to prove that I did send them proof of NCD at the start.

However - I'm hoping this is enough to convince them. The downside is, it's allowed me to work out what my actual NCD is - and although they've got 9 on my current certificate it will only actually be 8 at renewal time. I started having car insurance in my name when I bought the 964 in September 2000, and so started then with no NCD. Now that was an interesting time for insurance quotes : I'd like to insure a Porsche 911 - and no, I don't have any NCD....... One woman did actually laugh out loud.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to start my own insurance company - winding people up this much would cause me huge amusement.

The issue above was eventually resolved. After faxing loads of docs to them they called and said they would send the correct proof of NCD. Of course, they said they would only send proof of 5 years "since that's all anybody counts anyway" - but I argued with that and they did finally send the correct amount.

Today - with a different company - I just called to say I'd put a private registration on my bike. No problem - that will be £25 admin charge for changing your details please.

Thieving gits. Guess who I won't be insuring by bike with next year? The good news is, putting this registration on is a favour for a friend. So later, I'll be telling him he owes me £25 - plus the cost of a number plate!

...they said they would only send proof of 5 years "since that's all anybody counts anyway" - but I argued with that and they did finally send the correct amount.

What's the point in that?! If they're sending over proof of previous NCD, why not send the correct amount, why send you less?! Idiots.

Glad you got it sorted now mate. How many NCDs do you actually have then at the end of it?!

Most Insurance companies only want 5 years +

Quite correct - MOST

The company that my wife used for her Supra insurance wanted the actual figure - which was probably about 15 years. Her previous company only recorded 5, so that's all they allowed her. This company continued to give further small discounts up to about 12 years I think. Odd, but some brokers/insurance companies have rules that are 'unusual' in the industry.