The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This running lark.....

RedM

Any runners/joggers on here?

I'm really getting into my running lately. Earlier this evening I went for a run in the rain! What madness is that?

I'm only doing a three mile run every day (although it is very steep in places) but I'm finding it easier at every attempt so I'll be upping the distance soon.

Following my health scare back in April I've been doing this route every day. It used to take me an hour to walk around it. I'm now down to 26-28 minutes. Still pretty slow but I'm still overweight. That's coming on though. Down from 19.5 stone in April to 16.5 at the moment. I'm hoping a slow loss will result in a permanent loss.

I'm loving that smug, satisfied 'high' that you get after a run. I even spent 150 'CC notes' on some quality running clothing so that I didn't have any excuse during the winter.

So, who else runs and what do you like most about it? What do you dislike? Any tips or advice?

I do, but only in the gym. The treadmill is my preferred thing.

A year ago, I could do 3 miles in about 24 minutes. But I've been very rubbish at going to the gym this year, and last week was happy that I (struggled) to do it in 30 minutes.

The annoying thing is, when I was doing it last year I didn't get out of breath, I just ran out of energy. Problem now is, I run out of breath before I run out of energy. Must start going to the gym more!

Well, I too am a treadmill runner. I found after lots of road running my joints were in tatters, so it's just the gymbo for me.

It's probably easier to give you what I punch in the machine;

22 minutes, 2% gradient at 11.4 kph... which is just over 4k, I do three times a week.. that's my minimum.

Of the three (whichever I'm feeling fittest at!) I usually stick another kilometer or two in there which takes me to around half an hour.

It's the best form of relaxation for me. I get on the runner, stick my music on (usually a mixture of random Indie stuff with some electronica) read the tickers on the various tv's and just switch off really. When I'm done the blood is pumping and any form of techno sounds amazing! plus it's a sense of achievement.

I've settled on this routine now and I don't push myself any further. I found when I pushed myself I got colds and flus and stuff quite regular as I was running (pun!) myself down.

Lots of people find it very boring, but if you just switch off and listen to music, it is the best form of wind down after a busy day. The other thing about runner is the 'stamina' element of it.. and I found that the hardest bit to conquer. After your body is ready for the run, you just need to calm your mind enough to let the time elapse... and keep it calm!

Remember to cool down properly after a good run too! When I did road running my knees decided to come apart!? so I always make sure I do a lot of leg braces after a good run to tighten your thigh back up. Sounds slightly insane, but that's the advice the doc gave me and it does work.

Good effort Mart! well please you're still at it! :)

I can't imagine running on a machine. It was bad enough when I was trying out some new shoes.

I'm lucky that I live in the countryside so my runs are quiet and full of scenery although I don't get the quantity of lycra clad butts that you'd find at a gym.

My knees have been bad right up until the point that I pulled my laces really tight! Honestly, I now get no pain or anything in my knees after a run. I'm guessing that the small amount that my shoes were moving around was enough to affect my knees.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I'm amazed that something that was basically a chore for the good of my health has turned into something I enjoy. I actually spend the day at work itching to get home and go running.

I can't wait to be able to complete 5-6 mile runs as that will get my onto some really nice routes.

I used to run at least three times a week before my last baby, keep threatening to start again. I used to really enjoy running the rain, it's sort of exhilarating (spelling) and a distraction from the activity. I can't run on a treadmill though, I need scenery:d

Vicki x

Flippin H logged on my laptop!!!!

i do a lot of running mate, have done for a few years now, i enjoy running in the rain, there is something therapeutic about it (some will say sad i know) have you tried taking the route off road a bit? maybe the local woods or something, in the winter because of the dark i try to stay off the roads and do tracks instead.

My 10km time is now down to 36mins which is when i am fresh starting, i do triathlons as a hobby so the 10km after the swim and run is up to 39mins, but like i said have been running for a few years now, but at 33 i am happy.

Started last week doing every other morning doing 6 miles and its great for setting up for the day.

If you need any advice just shout and i will do what i can, one thing i do take to keep my knees supple is

Glucosamine Sulphate 1000mg from Holland & Barrett.

there great big horse like tablets but i have not had a problem since i have been on them which is 9 months

I am doing the London Marathon next year as well.

Richie

If you're going to buy vitamins and supplements such as Glucosamine I can recommend getting them from zipvit.com Great service and the prices are very low. You can get a years supply from them for the same price as a months at Boots. I've used them for years. (The glucosamine in liquid form is pretty good)

I used to get up early to go for a 10 min run round the block. Was great for the first week or two, but after that I got bored and decided I liked lie-ins better!

I still do weights though, so it's not as if I'm a lazy sod! Running just isn't my thing!

Sounds like you're doing well though mate, keep it up! :)