The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gordon Brown - Cometh the hour cometh the man...discuss

Dragonball

obviously the conservatives would say that. they have to say that to gain the voters confidence. i really dont know how this country let itself get so bad. getting involved in others affairs whilst its own affairs are going out of control! i really dont feel safe or secure anymore. people are being robbed and killed all the time, moneys is being ripped from us, no changes are being made to help. seems like the rich and famous will only be able to get through the harder times!

Ask yourself this though, the last time when the Conservatives were in charge, was Britain this bad??

Ok, we went to war (Falkland Islands) but are now at "war" now too...

I am not just saying this, I do truly believe that the Conservatives can change things because otherwise, why would they be in lead??

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself this though, the last time when the Conservatives were in charge, was Britain this bad??

I am not just saying this, I do truly believe that the Conservatives can change things because otherwise, why would they be in lead??

I don't know what things were like when the conservatives were in power because I was too young. I think like me a lot of people just want to send a message that they are unhappy, generally with crime and cost of living. Unfortunately I don't have any confidence that switching to a conservative government will actually change things at all though, but what do you do, just do nothing, or vote out the current party in protest?

i really dont know how this country let itself get so bad.

What about draconian laws regarding right to congregate and protest, general feeling of apathy, erosion of national identity and cohesiveness so no collective purpose. etc etc etc If it was a recipe for 'National Crisis' you could also add a few sprinklings of police state and a legal and benefits and immigration system that is absurd. Season with MP's hand in the honey pot and the I'am alright Jack attitude of the wealthy and a few other magic ingredients only available in yUK like binge drinking, ghetto council estates and political correctness then the recipe for disaster is complete. Simmer with resentment and apathy and feel absolutely taxed to the hilt. Then dont turn out to vote. Voila!!!

Sorry, what planet have you been on. Here in Devon (and we are not alone in this) there is NO HOPE of a local person on an average income ever affording to buy a house. In my opinion the whole greedy lot who have forced all the hope out of thousands of hard working people by banging up house prices and selling credit to sustain the unsustainable shoud stew in their own juice. There have been thousands of people shouting about this for years but whilst everyone was looking to their selfish selves it never made the mainstream news. Its time for common sense and common decency.

I think what he meant was that it was the home owners who were crowing about how their houses had shot up in value. I agree with you about prospective 1st time buyers: it's been extreemly tough for them for the past few years. I never think of a house as a liquid asset that I can buy and sell like shares, hence I didn't get excited when the value of my house went up by x% (and I certainly didn't borrow more money against the house): I knew it would be difficult for me to realise that gain in value.

So come on then Cameron - you smarmy Blair wannabe - not so smug now are we with your Lynda Lee-Potter Daily Mail middle England 'I aint got no policies - we just say anything to get in' grin...

So David Cameron can count on your vote at the next election...? :D

I think Brown did OK in this crisis: those who think "why bail out the banks, there's other more needy causes that should have had the money" tend to miss the point, are ignoring or are unaware of the repercussions of a meltdown in the capital system, or are dumbing-down the problem. I blame the media for that. I also think that, Cameron isn't doing himself any favours by seemingly trying to jostle for position.

He's been ripping us off for years and now everyone thinks he's doing a good job. If he had been, then he would have seen like the rest of us that personal dept was rising and bonuses were out of control. They are all taking a slice of the cake and now we are all going to pay for it.

I think that you will find that the de-regulation of the Building Societies was Margeret Thatcher...the well know Labour candidate for Finchley

:)

Allowing building societies to become and act like banks is not giving a cretin a x10 salary mortgage that he self certified to say he could afford it.

Gordon Brown "The Man"? I don't think so.

In my view, Labour have run the country into a hole over the last ten years, and just when it all come to a head, he's effectively placed the last of the countries money on red, and got lucky...maybe. Economies take months to adjust - one little blip after his announcement isn't the fixing of the whole system.

I don't like how Labour have generally run things, especially the breakdown of respect and common decency.

I do think Brown did the best he could in the financial crisis though, and I doubt whether Cameron/Osborne would have done any better had they been in power last week.

Why do people blame the government for everything?

I just glad that when the torries get back in again... as they no doubt will. I now actually earn a sufficiently comfortable living not to have to worry about what they'll screw up.

Poll tax anyone? selling off industries that actually made us some money? I don't think the current labour government are guilty of any of these things??

Hoodies! dam that Gordon Brown fellow! why can't he seem to control the global economy? is it because he's Scottish?! :p

The UK seems to be a far more litigious place since Labour have been in power. I think the continued shift towards Political Correctness has speedied up the process. Would it still have happened had the Tories been in power? I honestly don't know. It might be another of these traits that seem to come over from the U.S.

The UK seems to be a far more litigious place since Labour have been in power. I think the continued shift towards Political Correctness has speedied up the process. Would it still have happened had the Tories been in power? I honestly don't know. It might be another of these traits that seem to come over from the U.S.

Why dont other traits like jail sentences and punishments wing their way over here too?:rolleyes:

Agree strongly. Unless you vote you cant blame anyone. There are a lot of people who mouth off yet can't spare five mins to make their voice heard through the ballot box.

You have to consider that a lot of the blame rests with people that can't be arsed to vote. If you agree with someone then vote for them otherwise you can spoil a ballot or register NONE. It is still a vote. If enough people did that then any government would be untennable and they would have to sort it out properly.

Once people feel involved they feel empowered and start to get things sorted.

Who has the balls to vote. If not dont moan.

Exactly mate, I agree 100% BUT David Cameron recently gave a speech saying that the Conservative party WILL change Labour's mistake's and from these few example's, it can clearly be seen what needs to change and what the Conservative's can do for this country, troops and the public...

You probably still believe in the tooth fairy... right?

Allowing building societies to become and act like banks is not giving a cretin a x10 salary mortgage that he self certified to say he could afford it.

No that is down to the banks - who by and large are run by big fat cats taking millions in bonuses and usually live in places like Hampshire that vote Conservative no matter what... :)

They are the ones who bought the toxic loans from the USA... who by the way are run by a 'conservative' party

I just glad that when the torries get back in again... as they no doubt will. I now actually earn a sufficiently comfortable living not to have to worry about what they'll screw up.

Poll tax anyone? selling off industries that actually made us some money? I don't think the current labour government are guilty of any of these things??

Hoodies! dam that Gordon Brown fellow! why can't he seem to control the global economy? is it because he's Scottish?! :p

haha brilliant, for sure Labour aren't perfect but my god conservatives have made their god awful mark many times over with some of the biggest c*cks ups er I mean blunders this country has ever known. People have short memories, plus new generations don't have much depth of knowledge of the past either.

Yeah, why can't our government control the world wide markets, I mean just because America can't (or Germany, France et al) what's our excuse, long live the mighty empire ;) lol long live our existence in the ideal ivory tower from which we control the world. Heaven forbid their might be factors way beyond our own UK boundaries.

The 3 main political parties are so close to centre nowadays, that none of them are going to have radically different policies to any other. Except for the Monster Raving Loony Party, maybe :)

Maybe they just should amalgamate into one big 'collective' (like The Borg, for instance), then get us to vote on their madcap policies, and a new president every 4 years. At least we'll get to do something ;)

The 3 main political parties are so close to centre nowadays, that none of them are going to have radically different policies to any other. Except for the Monster Raving Loony Party, maybe :)

Maybe they just should amalgamate into one big 'collective' (like The Borg, for instance), then get us to vote on their madcap policies, and a new president every 4 years. At least we'll get to do something ;)

It's true they are close, but sometimes the devil is in the detail, a small swing in decision making one way or another can have massive long term repercussions overall - but from a ideological point of view, the mainstream parties are not that dissimilar. but then again, how can they be - people fear change, in a democracy statistically who will vote away from the norm.

The 3 main political parties are so close to centre nowadays, that none of them are going to have radically different policies to any other.

So that means are stuck with high crime, poor services, greed, etc because that is what we all want? If you only give someone a limited choice of 'no choice' then they should have every right to say they want something different and a proper choice. I dont have an answer but I believe there are a significant number of people in this country who feel they they do not have a voice speaking for them.

No

it was worse.

We're usually at war with someone.

Cameron is more physically attractive than Brown?

Thing is- in the end, the Conservatives and Labours' policies will be fairly similar. It's not realistic to expect them to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Bums and waster's are the only ones who vote for Labour because they can sponge off of OUR money from our paychecks each month!

I think the highlight of all that jumbled reactionary tosh was this little gem.

Picking up on just one point raised.

Not everyone is in an apopletic rage about tax. I think taxation here is pretty reasonable. Historically for the UK, it's still pretty low and certainly not as high as in many countries.

Personally, I'm happy to pay tax. Not all of my tax goes towards things I'm interested in or particularly want to support. Take the Olympics: it wouldn't bother me if it never happened. I'd rather Britain hosted a gigantic inernational opera festival. Or I could also ask: why should I have to pay taxes to support other people's kids? But to me those are pointless objections. Society is a collection of individuals with different needs and interests. You can't expect taxes only to be spent only on those things you personally want or approve of.

Also: what is this absolute obsession with freeloaders that we've imported wholesale from the USA? People go on and on and on about it. I'd much rather live in a society that has a safety net for the genuinely needy, even if it means some wasters get a free meal ticket at my expense.

Right, I'm off to shoot some birds stealing MY worms out of MY GARDEN which I PAID FOR.