The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gordon Brown - Cometh the hour cometh the man...discuss

Dragonball

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the reasons we're in this mess is 'cos of the decisions he made as chancellor in the last 10 years. Changing how the banks were run, spending all the country's assets to fund the un-realistic election promises so now we have no 'savings' for the bad times etc.

I also wish he'd stop chirping on about how Labour inherited the mess from the conservatives 10 years ago so it's their fault. If Labour haven't rectified what they saw as problems in 10 years why the hell should we give them any more time to mess things up?

A lot of the reasons we're in this mess is 'cos of the decisions he made as chancellor in the last 10 years. Changing how the banks were run, spending all the country's assets to fund the un-realistic election promises so now we have no 'savings' for the bad times etc.

I also wish he'd stop chirping on about how Labour inherited the mess from the conservatives 10 years ago so it's their fault. If Labour haven't rectified what they saw as problems in 10 years why the hell should we give them any more time to mess things up?

X2

oh wait...plus selling our gold reserves at record low prices. Secondly, managing to oversea the maintenance of our national debt during a sustained period of economic boom whilst a multitude of european countries utilised the period to reduce/eliminate their national debt....oh no not us, that would be too clever, but yet we'll blow millions on a big dome in London!

I'm almost ashamed he's scottish...i mean we are meant to be stingy gits after all! :D

X2

oh wait...plus selling our gold reserves at record low prices. Secondly, managing to oversea the maintenance of our national debt during a sustained period of economic boom whilst a multitude of european countries utilised the period to reduce/eliminate their national debt....oh no not us, that would be too clever, but yet we'll blow millions on a big dome in London!

I'm almost ashamed he's scottish...i mean we are meant to be stingy gits after all! :D

Very true. He's better at managing bust than boom :(

It is a crisis like this that shows the true measure of a politician. Regardless of personal likes, he is probably the world leader with most experience in financial matters, so best placed to lead us and may be the world out of this situation.

There is more to leading a nation than sound bites and one liners, GB is not there to be liked, he is their to get the job done. The media has alot to answer for when it comes to the public perception of a politician. Government can never be hip, sexy, cool, but it is what some national news papers would want us to expect.

Personally I have zero faith in the other lot.

When I was young someone told me that there is a tendency to drift to the right politically as you get older. Still waiting not happened yet.

sorry disagree you can't ever undo under funding without years of extra funding. If you leave a bit of rust on the supra for a few years the repair job is a lot more expensive than if you treated it immediatley. If you leave it long enough the whole thing falls apart. Public Services same principle.

Problem with the way Labour have put the money back in is it's been inefficient. The other problem is no-one wants high taxes but you have to undo the damage somehow.

Thankfully in Wales we're getting free perscriptions and so forth which the tories took away, still be years until you get optician, dentist etc... oh well we'll just vote the conservatives back in and then moan that for some reason Labour can't fix it.

We have been taxed more under this labour government than any previously. Gordon Brown was just a bit sneakier about how he did it. It was all through stealth taxing.

Plus even worse than that was the introduction of the Nil rate band for companies. That was nothing short of a ploy to get more sole trader to adopt a incorporated status which is harder to back out from and has tighter legislation. Then wait...lets remove that nil rate band and we ultimately have individuals paying more tax.

Plus they say the current climate needs people to increase their marginal propensity to consume but they (Captain Darling) elected to increase the tax rate for small companies. Thereby taxing the businesses with the potential to increase employment and further the GDP of the country. Smart move boys!

There's plenty to dislike about him, but there are also two things he can't be faulted on: his intellectual credentials and his dedication.

He forms an interesting contrast with Blair. Blair is a bright guy, but most agree that Brown is one of the leading political intellectuals of his generation. As Chancellor, Brown regularly worked 16-18 hour days, working long into the night after Blair had packed up.

I don't think anyone can control the forces unleashed when the global markets start melting down, but I would think that the best chances lie with a heavyweight brain who has been studying the economy for years and who was - until very recently - regarded as one of the best chancellors we've ever had.

I wonder how George Osborne would have fared. I'm sure his experience at MAFF would have come in handy. :rolleyes:

I reckon the situation could get worse regardless of who is elected in the U.S, they seemed to have spent most of their time looking good on T.V than looking to employ new strategies to combat the current ecomonic crisis:rolleyes:

Brown may wade us through, but its going to be a very 'boring' time over the next two years

Also:

As prime minister, no matter what he does now, I think he's doomed to be kicked out at the next election for several reasons:

(a) he has made some balls-ups that are genuinely his fault. But more importantly,

(b) he's presided over a period of time when there has been lots of bad news and, without being snobby about it, the average voter can't disentangle the effects of world trends and the effects of his leadership

© labour have been in power for a long time, and as memories fade of the previous government, it's assumed that a different leadership would cope better

(d) he doesn't have the easy TV-friendly chumminess that we've grown used to. Blair had perfect-pitch empathy when he most needed it (e.g. 9/11 and Princess Di); Brown will never have that and it's a real liability in elections.