The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HHhhmmm, What To Do (Insurance Wise)

terribleturner

Well while out car shopping with How_Supra yesterday i came across a nice looking Skyline gts. And although i don't need it and probably can't afford it, i found myself wanting it. So because im with Elephant i thought that i'd see what sort of money they wanted to insure me on it. Well they surprised me. With no modifications and a year newer than my sup thay what nearly twice as much. WTF???? Im now thinking that i could drive the car under the policy i have at the moment which allows me to drive any car third party only, then put aside 2k of the potential insurance money just incase any little accidents happen. But the question is do i risk it?? If i have a crash that is my fault and i write the car off, then all i'll have to show is my 2K. Plus i don't reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy need the car, but it would be nice. Also my dad keeps having a go and tells me to save, but where's the fun in that. Oh i don't know :tempted: Choices choices

u can only drive that car under your policy as 3rd party fire and theft if it insured on another policy by someone else

he's right, the insurance will state that if your covered to drive any other car and will be covered 3rd party only that does not allow you to drive any other car you own without there being another policy on that vehicle with someone else.

for example if you owned 2 cars, insure one fully and then in effect cover yourself 3rd party on your other one. then my first car will be a ford fiesta that will sit in some car park and left to rot, the insurance will be say £5 per year lol and the other car would be the ferrari enzo.

with elephant insurance ask them to review and re-quote you are able to haggle your insurance price, you'll be amazed how far they will drop to get the custom! i managed to get a few hundred off mine just by clearly saying i'm not happy with that quote i'm sure you can do better or i'll go else where.

Good stuff guys. So in theory i could register the car to my dad and say pay his insurance which would probably be £400 odd. Would still save me money, but think i may read the small print and shop around. As you say Mad Hatter, i could haggel them down, but if i do the above i still save £2000.

If you put the car ownership in someone elses name you could get away with driving 3rd party.

HOWEVER, if you want to tax the car, you need an insurance certificate to show that the registered keeper is insured to drive it.

Also, there is NO fire or theft cover for it if you do this. Your 3rd party entitlement only covers the road risks, nothing else.

Skylines are huge money to insure.

Could you put your dad on your policy - would that reduce the premium????

Yeah could do, but im slowly going off the idea tbh. I don't need it, and i probably can't afford it. Would be nice though and looks great, plus i will need something for work when th Sup becomes over modified to park in Camden.

Yeah could do, but im slowly going off the idea tbh. I don't need it, and i probably can't afford it. Would be nice though and looks great, plus i will need something for work when th Sup becomes over modified to park in Camden.

Well my Laguna will be looking for a new home soon enough........... :limp: :tongue:

£400 with no No Claims Discount? Or doesn't he use his NCD for his existing car?

He doesn't have a car to drive at the moment, he leaves that to my mum.

yeh ill be blunt....u want it cheap you cant have it cheap :D

Yeah, i know your right, but im just trying to explore all my options before reality kicks in :(

Guest Girlracer

Hi, I hate insurance shananigans. Have had lots of problems in the past. One company cancelled my policy just through a induction kit & alloys. Now i stick with a company called GSI. As long as you are honest he'll be fine. Saved me £££'s on me gti-6 (group 15) & now saved me lots on the alfa (16) Its worth a call if you are looking about. The guy is called Marcus (dont speak to anyone else)

01933 411888

Good Luck

Tina ;)