The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engineers and engineering

RobSheffield

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont buy china lathes, we bought 3 and each one has a different problem, the one we have is currently chewing up bands and the tensioner pulley adjustment is crap, you also have to remove a whole pile of crap just to change speeds. Buy an old classic lathe, maybe cost more than brand new china one's but they're sooo much better.

My dad's a retired tool maker and currently setting himself up with various tools in the garage with a view to start jewellery making, and had been looking around for a lathe until i pointed him to chesteruk he is planning to buy a Conquest lathe soon. The site may be of interest to you.

My dad has a pretty well equipped garage, so grinders and engineering hand tools im good for.

I would like a lathe (and some idea what i could ues it for :p )

Mills i have never really been sure about :(

Thanks Osso, yeah thats what im looking for.

I was kind of inspired by Michael's (not getting a coffee) thread with the eyeballing. The guy had an impressive woodworking workshop set up. I was wondering what sort of things i would need.

My dad has a pretty well equipped garage, so grinders and engineering hand tools im good for.

I would like a lathe (and some idea what i could ues it for :p )

Mills i have never really been sure about :(

Thanks Osso, yeah thats what im looking for.

I was kind of inspired by Michael's (not getting a coffee) thread with the eyeballing. The guy had an impressive woodworking workshop set up. I was wondering what sort of things i would need.

I don't think by "grinder" he meant an angle grinder or a buff. You can buy a grinder for accurate machining whether it be internal/external, rotary or sufrace grinding (flat buffing).

Best to start off with a lathe though. Especially considering ur dad has experience with a wood lathe.

I don't think by "grinder" he meant an angle grinder or a buff. You can buy a grinder for accurate machining whether it be internal/external, rotary or sufrace grinding (flat buffing).

Best to start off with a lathe though. Especially considering ur dad has experience with a wood lathe.

Right

Im considering shutting up before i make myself look really stupid!

Oh, wait :(