The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil prices...

Gaz Walker

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When oil hit $147/barrel the exchange rate was $1.99 to the pound. So a barrel cost £73.87

Today's oil price is $80/barrel and the exchange rate is $1.71 to the pound. So a barrel costs £46.78 - a drop of £27/barrel.

You get 159 litres in a barrel, meaning that's a drop of 16.9p/litre.

I've already seen drops of up to 9p/litre in some locations, so we're on the way there.

Only because the tax is a % of the price.

Not quite.

Fuel duty is not a percentage (I think it's about 54p/litre on unleaded at the moment, or maybe 51, is normal unleaded "ultra low sulphur?).

VAT is 17.5% of the cost + the duty.

So if petrol is £1/litre

the cost of the petrol is about 31p

duty is about 54p

VAT is about 15p

Fuel Duty is the big one.

They'll never drop the tax on fuel as they need to make soooo much more money now to pay for the bank bail outs and they're getting virtually nothing from stamp duty 'cos house sales have plumetted.

Taxes probably wont got up in the next year (as there's an election coming up) but they sure as hell will after that!

Hopefully the fuel price will follow the downward trend in oil price significantly in this next year so that the inevitable rise in duty wont have so much relative effect.

I paid 102.9 yesterday at my local esso (who stay in line with tescos, asda etc). I was quite pleased until I remembered a year ago it was less than that :(

down to less then $68 a barrel now. Id love to know how much petrol was at the last time oil was at $68 a barrel!

Indeed that's what I'd like to know.

I think it used to be in the 60's when we were *happily* paying 90p a litre for Optimax...

Found this... http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-prices/petrol-oil.html

Basically $70 a barrel = 90-95p a litre for UL at the pumps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
so the price of a barrel is now at $34.85, we do have to remember pound was worth $2 but now only about $1.4 but surely petrol should drop some more yet!

34.25 now - we should be getting a much reduced price at the pump now really - the price has came down nearly 80% for crude oil yet the £/$ has still only dropped 25%.

Something wrong there...

Gaz.

Not read the whole thread but just as a little fyi.....on balance the crude oil coming out of the north sea is costing about $35 per barrel to extract by the time it reaches land.

Let's hope the oil price does not drop too low or there could be some serious implications to employment in this area of the world.

Not read the whole thread but just as a little fyi.....on balance the crude oil coming out of the north sea is costing about $35 per barrel to extract by the time it reaches land.

Let's hope the oil price does not drop too low or there could be some serious implications to employment in this area of the world.

Dan, do you work for one of the Oil companies or the service companies? PM me as I recall we chucked some PM's about once upon a time about it all...I've made my move ;)