The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil prices...

Gaz Walker

OK so I know theres a huge amount of factors to take into account, but in July, crude oil prices were around $147 a barrel - we were paying a little more at the pumps than we do now.

Currently, with the economy going belly up, its hovering around the $85 mark.

So how come its dropped more than 40% in cost yet we are only getting 3/4p off at the pump?

Gaz.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daylight robbery, thieving scumbags, not sure how else to descrive them.

The BPs local to me have put there prices up again, we got down to 110.9p and on weds they were back at 111.9p, just put in enough to drive to a shell station where its still 110.9p.

Daylight robbery, thieving scumbags, not sure how else to descrive them.

The BPs local to me have put there prices up again, we got down to 110.9p and on weds they were back at 111.9p, just put in enough to drive to a shell station where its still 110.9p.

This is the thing i think if more people voted with their feet and filled up where its cheapest we could create a price war. Problem is when we desperate for petrol we buy from the nearest regardless of price, well majority of people will. They are also clever how they price petrol ie by the litre.

Mind you its the government that shaft us on petrol anyway.

if you think about it they are now making more money, the idea that fuel is cheaper than it was is making some/most folk happier and they dont follow the price of oil. Why would they cut it back to say 90p? when they can still sell it for 110p without too many folk complaining.

PS im am complaining hehe!

I know it takes several months to follow the oil trends, but its been long enough now that we should have seen some significant improvement, the station near me has gone down 4p since the worst of it, and I know others that have dropped 18p a litre

Months to follow trends? As soon as oil price increases are announced, the pump price goes up with immediate effect. It takes months for the price to fall again though, as we're seeing :(

Oil companies quote their prices for delivery 2 to 3 months ahead.

In July/August, the oil price then was for October delivery. That said, the price at the pump went up very quickly back then. I agree, it's taking a lot longer for it to drop again.

Gordon Brown is in the news today demanding petrol price cuts as soon as possible - maybe he reads this forum.

:)

I love this bit:

"Ray Holloway, director of the RMI Petrol Retailers Association, suggested that it is the prime minister himself who makes the real difference to prices. "Gordon Brown always has the ability to reduce fuel prices through a fuel tax reduction, but avoids it," he said."

Well he would say that - he represents the very sellers who are making all the profit FFS!

That said, the price at the pump went up very quickly back then. I agree, it's taking a lot longer for it to drop again.

:)

Similar to Variable Mortgages then............

Under 10 yrs ago the lorry drivers went on strike due to diesel costs rising upto 77p.........and look at the state of it today, we'd be lucky if we could even get to £1 / ltr - all in the effort to be green (as in rip people off with the excuse of green - best tax policy the govt has ever had)