The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"lotda tab" ?

carl0s

I asked somebody (txt msg) if she thought it was a good idea for me to buy £500 of RBS shares, since they were at 90p each, and she said "not sure. I think lotda tab might be better? But canlt be sure".

Didn't want to pursue the question further as I felt cheeky asking for free advice, and she's on a day out somewhere.

So, bearing in mind she was probably using predictive-text on her mobile, what do you think "lotda tab" is supposed to mean? Lloyds TSB ?

to be honest 90p a share is very good, due to the current economic climate and the rumoured hbos/tsb take over now is a good time to buy especially at that price, dont expect the price to rise overnight but if you have it spare then it is definately (in my opinion) a sensible investment and to be honest any massive financial institute with "royal" in the name aint going bust:d, im with rbs and to be honest if i had any spare money i would buy them as an investment..

If you do decide to buy i insist that when you make lots of money then i should get 10% of the profits for my advice :p

I've been buying some shares this week, but I'm not sure about buying into banks - not because I think they'll go bust, but I'm not sure what effect the govt bailout will have on the share price.

If the bailout involves the govt buying up a load of shares in the banks, (part-nationalisation) then this might mean a near-permanent proportional adjustment in the share price until the shares are put back into circulation (if they ever do get put back) at some undetermined point way off in the future. (Probably years away) I might just have a few in RBS because they're such good value at the moment, but it'd have to be an amount that I can afford to lose in the event that they do have more troubles. (Just remember Northern Rock.) If they survive, the rewards could be very good indeed.

Having said that, there are other parts of the financial services sector that might be nearly as lucrative at the moment, but not as risky.

to be honest 90p a share is very good, due to the current economic climate and the rumoured hbos/tsb take over now is a good time to buy especially at that price, dont expect the price to rise overnight but if you have it spare then it is definately (in my opinion) a sensible investment and to be honest any massive financial institute with "royal" in the name aint going bust:d, im with rbs and to be honest if i had any spare money i would buy them as an investment..

If you do decide to buy i insist that when you make lots of money then i should get 10% of the profits for my advice :p

They were 78.5p a minute ago. I said I'd buy when/if they dropped to 80p. I watched for most of yesterday and they didn't much go below 88p.

I didn't buy just now anyway, but it's exciting to watch all the same :) Some are saying today could be a bad day for RBS shares.

I've been buying some shares this week, but I'm not sure about buying into banks - not because I think they'll go bust, but I'm not sure what effect the govt bailout will have on the share price.

If the bailout involves the govt buying up a load of shares in the banks, (part-nationalisation) then this might mean a near-permanent proportional adjustment in the share price until the shares are put back into circulation (if they ever do get put back) at some undetermined point way off in the future. (Probably years away) I might just have a few in RBS because they're such good value at the moment, but it'd have to be an amount that I can afford to lose in the event that they do have more troubles. (Just remember Northern Rock.) If they survive, the rewards could be very good indeed.

Having said that, there are other parts of the financial services sector that might be nearly as lucrative at the moment, but not as risky.

That makes sense, and my interest is only perked for the same reason - value. They just seems so cheap/undervalued, but as you say it's a risk. What other parts of the financial sector do you have in mind?

This is all new to me, but it's interesting all the same.

When the market opened just now, Barclays Stockbroker was stating: Sell 96p, Buy 1.04p

What does that mean then? Does it just mean nobody wanted to buy shares back off me in case I had any, until the market had some idea of trading prices, or does it mean I could have bought shitloads @1p each?

when the market opened just now, barclays stockbroker was stating: Sell 96p, buy 1.04p

what does that mean then? Does it just mean nobody wanted to buy shares back off me in case i had any, until the market had some idea of trading prices, or does it mean i could have bought $#@!loads @1p each?

£1.04