The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate legality

GeordieSteve

I've just bought a new CWest N1 front bumper and also a Greddy 2 row intercooler. Obviously I don't want a chuffin huge square plate in the way blocking air flow to my FMIC so I've been looking at getting a sticker made to go on the bumper. I'm thinking of putting it where I've highlighted in the picture (bugger off I know it's crap quality but it's the best I can muster at short notice!). How legal would it be to do that? Would it be ok to do as long as I got the correct size lettering and spacing?

http://www.thegeordieconnection.com/stevep/regplate.jpg

Stick on ones are not legal matey. I have one on mine with a veilside front end but I've had it made full size with std lettering. Also I stuck it on the nose below the bonnet line so its easy to read. My thought is that if they can read it easily they won't be bothered to pull you up for it.

http://www.netpostbag.com/~hornet/Supra/car.jpg

Who told you that stick on ones aren't legal?

As I understand it, providing they have the white 'reflex reflective' material, and they are clearly displayed and meet the requirements of the size of plate, size of lettering and the measurement of the clear border of between the edge of the lettering and the edge of the plate itself, then the manner in which it is adhered to the vehicle is immaterial.

You can even get the stick on plates with the iso or british standard or whatever it is these days printed in the corner.

I think the stick-on plates aren't strictly legal, but so aren't probably 50% of all plates out there if you read all the DVLA fineprint. In reality, if it's full size, you'd have very, very little chance of being pulled purely for that I would have thought. If they're pulling you for something else and go over the car with a fine tooth comb, then I guess they may make an issue of it (although to be honest I doubt the average traffic cop would even know the legality of it).

:looney:

As posted ^^^ DVLA site states they are not aware of any stick on ones that are legal... But as you can see from my Picture mine is full size and legal spec as from DVLA site, plus its very visable so shouldn't be an issue which is why I did it. (shame it looks odd though :( )

I just dont have one on the front......it fell off on a speed bump ;)

Chris :cool:

Thats just what Im planning to do...carry one in the car and should I be stopped say either it fell off or some kids pulled it off....and "Im gonner fix it on as soon as possible, orifice....errmmm Im mean officer".

i have a stuck on one on top secret bumper, it looks crap. on stock bumper i cut plate holder down and got a small plate fitted, never got stopped for it. just have to make sure you dont give them a reason to pull you over or p*ss them off.

you could avoid low areas and avoid speed bumps or multi story car parks

My area is FULL of speed bumps so doomed there. Police in my area are pretty cool tho. They get to know your face and what your driving. If you arse about they'll have you constantly... treat them with some respect they do the same to you. My mate parks his Skyline in a rough area up here every week and the police take it in shifts to go up and check it's ok (they said "we'd rather make sure it was safe than have to chase it if it's stolen). Still... I'm 23 and look 12, tattooed skin head, have 15 points and drive a modded Supra. I'm asking to be pulled really!

Could do with a spring loaded hinge. Stick a normal plate on in front of the FMIC which gets pushed over by the airflow when you get above 50-60mph, then comes back up when you slow down.

Sounds like a good idea! Or maybe a switch that allows you to flip the plate up and out of the way of the FMIC for higher speed runs?

When I get my car back from Dudes I'm not planning on having any front plate at all... doubt it'll be long before I get kindly asked to fit one!

I work at a display company that cuts its own exhibition graphics including digital and vinyl (pluss reflective) material.

When the car was imported it had its own vinyl reg plate on the bumper so I cut a nice new one with my personal reg number and havn't had any problems with the police ...... so far.

• 2 weeks later...