The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch changing

Dann

I have just got myself a nice exedy clutch and all the other gubbins that come too. Can anyone give me any pointers or advice on how to change the clutch on a 1996 MKiv N/A supra.

What needs to come off ?

potentional problems ?

Tips and ease of things ?

Many thanks

Dann

Nope I have not.

I do all the work on my cars my self though. Have just done cam belt on supra and skyline also done turbos on soarer and skyline etc.

I want to do this my self just need hints tips and guides before i go gung ho into the box.

Dann:)

Well if your doing it yourself you better get a mate to assist, can be done on axle stands. NAs arnt that tough, just gota have an idea what your doin. Only awkward bit I was thought was unbolting the gear stick to drop the box, was bit fiddly

Posted via Mobile Device

At the end of the day it comes down level of experience. Just take your time, use your common sence. Make sure you have all the correct tools and torque settings aswel. If you don't have a clutch alignment tool then invest in 1, makes life that bit easier when reffiting the box

Posted via Mobile Device

Exeedy clutches usually come with an alignment tool.

If you are going to do this your self, + helper, ....

You need to get the car up fairy high to give yourself room to move under the car. A couple of good jacks would be useful to lower and lift the box and push the front of the engine up to make getting the box out and in, easier.

Make sure the alignment tool is a really loose fit before the final tightening of the clutch housing bolts.

Don't use force to get the box back on, take care not to damage the clutch with the box shaft when putting the box back. A dry lubricant on the box shaft can make reassembly much easier

It is not a quick job but not that difficult. As has been said the right tools will really be essential.

well not much you to you but i changed my own clutch on my uk turbo and thought it was a piece of cake, infact the clutch i fitted was faulty so i changed it twise in 3 days lol, seemed harder the second time as my arms and back was hurting from lifting and rolling about on the concrete floor, get some carpet to put down maybe a bit better for your back, try not to fall asleep thoe.

Right wow

Thanks for the advice, Yes the clutch does come with a alignment tool. It seams fairly simple, I think I finished the old clutch off today went out to the shops and as soon as in second accelerate it slips and stinks same in third.

Thanks M life sure will give you pm if stuck.

Many thanks all

Dann

Hi Guys

I have started to change my clutch now the parts arrived and I set about doing the job.

My first problem is how do I get the prop shaft out? The instructions are saying undo the big nut but I not got a big nut on my prop shaft. Do I just undo it from the diff then undo the carrier bearing and then slid the propshaft out ?

N/A supra MKIV just incase there is a difference.

Many thanks

Dann

Hi Guys

I have started to change my clutch now the parts arrived and I set about doing the job.

My first problem is how do I get the prop shaft out? The instructions are saying undo the big nut but I not got a big nut on my prop shaft. Do I just undo it from the diff then undo the carrier bearing and then slid the propshaft out ?

N/A supra MKIV just incase there is a difference.

Many thanks

Dann

not sure if the na is the same as the tt but undo the four bolts on the gearbox flange, undo the two bearing carrier bolts, then slide it out and leave one half of the prop bolted to the diff

Ok thanks guys

I had a go at the bolts today on the rear diff and they extra tight used a impact gun but that not shift them.

Will start to undo the box and see if it will slide down or five me enough room to pull the prop shaft out, I have undone the carrier bearing. were the bearing is the prop joines together ccan I undo it there as the bolts look smaller might be easier to undo ?

Many thanks

Dann

Ok thanks guys

I had a go at the bolts today on the rear diff and they extra tight used a impact gun but that not shift them.

Will start to undo the box and see if it will slide down or five me enough room to pull the prop shaft out, I have undone the carrier bearing. were the bearing is the prop joines together ccan I undo it there as the bolts look smaller might be easier to undo ?

Many thanks

Dann

can you get a picture up of it mate as im not sure if there is a difference between the n/a and tt

if thers is a four bolt flange on the end of the gearbox conecting the prop to the box undo them four, then undo the two carrier bolts, drop the prop down from the gearbox flange then slide out one half of the prop, I have left the other half on the diff as it does not get in the way when removing the box, and seems a waste of time doing so but up to you.

I have never seen under an NA, but I am sure Toyota would not have designed a different prop system. Surely there must be a big nut locking the two halves of the front section together. How else could the system fit together and allow for the slight alignment differences in between all cars?

From the box back is as follows.

Gearbox then the prop slides in to it, then there is a universal joint with 4 nuts holding like 2 halves of the prop together then the prop connects to the diff via a flange held with three 17mm bolts. The 3 bolts at diff end are so tight I cannot undo them even with my big electric gun. So looking were the centre is near carrier bearing there is the universal joint and 4 14mm bolts holding both halves together was thinking it be ok to undo here ?

many thanks

Dann