The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Review: Lockerbie Manor Hotel

michael

Pretty sure I've been there before a couple of times when working around there and thought it was good.

Is that the one with a teddy in your room they expect you to pay a tenner for, and a printout with some "humourous" bollocks about haggises?

I've escaped to a cheese factory, much better place to be!

So the hotel... I suspect I've been unlucky with room selection, last minute thing, they have a wedding on and my room is "tatty" but they say...

The decor of each room is created to exude its own style and character to cater for each individual's discerning taste

My tastes must be as follows:

* Entry door blocked by rowdy wedding guests having a smoke.

* Reception to be full of drunk Scots in kilts but no receptionist.

* A 15 minute wait in reception to check in followed by a 10 minute checking in process.

* No information provided regarding breakfast / facilities - presumed in room so didn't ask at this point.

* Wandered up to room and got past the horde of wedding kids running up and down outside it, old building so movement makes lots of noise.

* Arrived at room, only a basic bolt to lock it from the inside

* Carpet old, dirty / faded - grey on the whole but supposed to be burgundy

* Gloss painted areas stained, chipped, cracked or just dirty - cobwebs in corners and paint on floor where it's fallen off the window frame

* Peeling wallpaper in bathroom

* Big brown damp patch on roof / wall of bathroom

* Cracked shower tray - almost corner to corner

* Plug hole filthy

* Shower cubible wobbles - seems to be held on with sealant

* No sink in bathroom, it's in the bedroom

* Plug not on chain - both there, just not connected

* Bedroom sink dirty, no towel rail near it so you have to wander to bathroom

* No desk

* No TV remote for 12", 4 channel super set

* No info pack in room, no staionary to steal

* No trouser press - not that I want one but it says there is.

* Dirty cup on tiny coffee making shelf - coffee stain

* Room is above reception door which bangs loudly when used

* Smell of cigarettes drifting up to room from noisy smokers below

* Bagpipe man keeps going and standing under my window to play his awful device

* Bed springs "boing" when you sit on bed

* Only half a roll of toilet roll

* No crap like shower caps, sewing kits, shoe shine etc to steal

* I have the prospect of the wedding guests being more drunk when I get back later, a disco and I have to be up at 4am to come back here to finish the job off.

Now this might seem picky tonight but it's a bit poor when the website promises so much. Apart from the kilt wearing drunks and annoying brats everywhere the public areas seem OK, the grounds are nice and it's far enough away from Lockerbie to feel slightly special but the standard of the room I'm in really lets it down - frustrating when all it needs is a bit of filler, a coat of paint, the bathroom walls moved so the sink can go in there and a few little finishing touches.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the last year, some costing a lot less than this, some more but all have been so much nicer in every way.

I feel a bit like the hotel inspector and even took some photos but I'll have to wait until I'm home before I can do anything with those - I'll be sending them a letter with my thoughts though. I did mention some of this to the receptionist on the way out but I might as well have not bothered.

This is supposed to be the best option in Lockerbie too, I'd hate to think what the others are like.

How weird, had a minute spare so popped onto the forum to post a review, in a Michael esq style, of the hotel I'm currently staying in because it is so good, and then spotted this thread.

You should of headed a lot further south to the Primrose Valley Hotel in St Ives. Balcony room with a view of the beach and harbour, nothing is ever too much for the hotel staff to cater for. By far one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

Just relaxing on the baclony having a glass of wine while Jule's is off being pampered for her birthday in the Ren treatment room.

I know the feeling Micheal when a place really disappoints, you should of refused to pay as most places inform other guests if a wedding is on. I favour the website trip advisor for reliable reviews lately.

Posted via Mobile Device

I've escaped to a cheese factory, much better place to be!

So the hotel... I suspect I've been unlucky with room selection, last minute thing, they have a wedding on and my room is "tatty" but they say...

My tastes must be as follows:

* Entry door blocked by rowdy wedding guests having a smoke.

* Reception to be full of drunk Scots in kilts but no receptionist.

* A 15 minute wait in reception to check in followed by a 10 minute checking in process.

* No information provided regarding breakfast / facilities - presumed in room so didn't ask at this point.

* Wandered up to room and got past the horde of wedding kids running up and down outside it, old building so movement makes lots of noise.

* Arrived at room, only a basic bolt to lock it from the inside

* Carpet old, dirty / faded - grey on the whole but supposed to be burgundy

* Gloss painted areas stained, chipped, cracked or just dirty - cobwebs in corners and paint on floor where it's fallen off the window frame

* Peeling wallpaper in bathroom

* Big brown damp patch on roof / wall of bathroom

* Cracked shower tray - almost corner to corner

* Plug hole filthy

* Shower cubible wobbles - seems to be held on with sealant

* No sink in bathroom, it's in the bedroom

* Plug not on chain - both there, just not connected

* Bedroom sink dirty, no towel rail near it so you have to wander to bathroom

* No desk

* No TV remote for 12", 4 channel super set

* No info pack in room, no staionary to steal

* No trouser press - not that I want one but it says there is.

* Dirty cup on tiny coffee making shelf - coffee stain

* Room is above reception door which bangs loudly when used

* Smell of cigarettes drifting up to room from noisy smokers below

* Bagpipe man keeps going and standing under my window to play his awful device

* Bed springs "boing" when you sit on bed

* Only half a roll of toilet roll

* No crap like shower caps, sewing kits, shoe shine etc to steal

* I have the prospect of the wedding guests being more drunk when I get back later, a disco and I have to be up at 4am to come back here to finish the job off.

Now this might seem picky tonight but it's a bit poor when the website promises so much. Apart from the kilt wearing drunks and annoying brats everywhere the public areas seem OK, the grounds are nice and it's far enough away from Lockerbie to feel slightly special but the standard of the room I'm in really lets it down - frustrating when all it needs is a bit of filler, a coat of paint, the bathroom walls moved so the sink can go in there and a few little finishing touches.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the last year, some costing a lot less than this, some more but all have been so much nicer in every way.

I feel a bit like the hotel inspector and even took some photos but I'll have to wait until I'm home before I can do anything with those - I'll be sending them a letter with my thoughts though. I did mention some of this to the receptionist on the way out but I might as well have not bothered.

This is supposed to be the best option in Lockerbie too, I'd hate to think what the others are like.

Besides that..............it's ok though??:D

H.

I'm with you on this. I absolutely hate naff hotels. Unfortunately, its all a bit of a lottery...web sites and descriptions are notoriously hyped and the only way to tell for sure is to go there and take the gamble. I would say ask for an upgrade of room as you are totally unhappy with it, but from what you have posted there's every chance the other rooms are just as crap. Weddings are a curse too as the other guests get shoved in whatever rooms are left. Feel for you, I really do. If my wife was there she would raise hell.

Always found it good to check out the reviews of hotels on laterooms.co.uk and tripadvisor.com before booking anywhere nowadays. But ignore what most americans say on reviews, most european hotel rooms are small in size compared to US and they all whinge about it. I've stayed in some 2-star hotels which seemed better than some of the 5-star I've stayed in. Some 4-stars are incredibly good and the only thing stopping them being 5 is poor access for the disabled.

Sorry to hear you've got a crap room, nothing worse than that on a works trip. Ask for an upgrade and see what you get :D

I'm back from swimming in your milk now (sorry about the stray hairs if you find any) and have eaten in the restaurant - I have to say that the food was really good, no complaints there at all.

The room looks much better in the dark but the wedding lot are still just as annoying under the window, I brought some ear plugs back from the factory though so should be OK that one.

It was a very last minute booking and the hotel is apparently the best of the ones in the area according to colleagues who have tried a few so I'm just going to chill out and make the most of it, I've found a wireless connection now so that and the nice food have taken the edge off things.

St Ives sounds better though, not sure the boss would approve of that when I'm supposed to be here :)

GHEE! You need to MILK this one, Michael. Get hold of the manager, the big CHEESE, tell him that his hotel is supposed to be the CREAM of the crop. Say your room LACTOSE essentials that make for a pleasurable stay and that the room needs a CREME FRESH lick of paint. If you get your WHEY, maybe you'll get a refund.

I booked a weekend break on the net for the mrs and I a while back. 3 nights for the price of 2. It was so crap we went back home after the first night. Holes in the walls, tired carpets, ropy bedding, confusing layout, obvious water/heating leaks in all the corridors with associated stenches, no info in the room, telly wouldn't tune into any channel in a watchable fashion, facilities to cater for maybe 100 people in a hotel complex with nearly 500 rooms, wireless internet dropped in and out constantly and had a very long winded security process, golfers wandering past being obnoxiously loud (it was a golfers hotel/bmw conference centre).

Good mate at my wedding got a crappy room. The roof leaked straight on his head all night as it was peeing down. I couldn't believe he still paid when the receptionist said and I quote "Oh yeah we know about that, it does it every time it rains. It won't get fixed because they might be knocking it down in a few months"

GHEE! You need to MILK this one, Michael. Get hold of the manager, the big CHEESE, tell him that his hotel is supposed to be the CREAM of the crop. Say your room LACTOSE essentials that make for a pleasurable stay and that the room needs a CREME FRESH lick of paint. If you get your WHEY, maybe you'll get a refund.

Shocking.

I left something in the room, realised when I got home... called hotel and room has been cleaned but nothing handed in by cleaners. Apparently they turned the room upside down looking for it, I bet it looked nicer afterwards.

So congratulations to the cleaner that now has a new Nintendo DS.

Nothing I can do about it either, if they say it's not there then that's the end of it really. Most annoyed.