The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lui's Single Turbo build

lui

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well James started putting my PHR Street Single kit together this week & I pop down to see how all going today & yesterday & so far James is doing a great Job.

Work done so far Manifold fitted with EGT sensor tapped & fitted to it / Turbo & turbo jacket / downpipe / wastegate / screamer pipe / air filter / double de-cat & all lines & feeds fitted :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Mocal oil cooler for auto box cooling mounted & all plumbing work to it done.

James has also taken out my Blitz LM V Spec Intercooler to flush & clean out + all hard pipes cleaned / Having HKS ssqv bov welded to hard pipe + modification from turbo to intercooler pipe welded & should be back & fitted tomorrow.

Old 550 injectors + resistor pack out & All PE 650 injectors fitted.

Base mapped installed by Ryan G & waiting to be fully mapped which all booked in for 10th Nov with Ryan G @ SRR

Things to be done now is re-fit intercooler & hard pipes / tidy up cables / sort out breather filters / drain down on old oil & new filter + Silokene Pro oil in & few other small bits & bobs & James hoping to do all test & possibly fire it up tomorrow / Saturday :):):)

James has also taken loads of pic's of install but did not have time or equipment to transfer today but loads of build will be up soon.

Few complications with build that I know of so far are as follows but James has sorted all out are;

01.RMM 3" stainless Double de-cat pipe brought from PHR did not line up properly & had to be slightly modded to fit perfect.

02.Down pipe from turbo to double decat needed to be modded with bolts to fit flanges as was extremely close to steering pole coming through bulk head to rack.

03.Oil drain braided line from turbo had to be shorten as was to long.

04.Intercooler pipe from turbo to intercooler had to be modded to fit.

05.Some of exhaust flange bolts had to be drilled as original ones did not line up.

But sure James at ToyotGt might add few comments about these once looked at this thread.

Also want to say big thanks to Heckler popping down today as well & given us a spin in his PHR Street Single too.

Edited by lui (see edit history)

if you don't mind me asking u lui, how much is this all going to cost ya? i so badly want to go single but money is so tight lately!

To be honest all was just perfect timing with it all happening, old hybrids out & turbo side striped down, had good offers for everything with new hybrids fully refurbished & all other parts turbo side sold everything in one afternoon with out advertising anything & at they stage was very good choice for PHR Street Single conversion to go ahead.

Just over 3K which includes all top spec parts & labour but sold all old parts that came of for around £1800 so far & still few parts left to sale still.

So around £1200 but I had all other major parts needed + complete with new re-build on engine all done.

See my full engine spec in my Garage.

thanks for that lui, i was expecting something like 7k but if its around that price im sure i can get it done. how much power do you think you will be getting out of the motor?

With all my engine spec Ryan G is hoping for around 540 BHP & around 520-530 Torque :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

But just will have to wait & see ;)

I hope you will get the hp figure you're after.

I think 540 bhp will be very nice on the streets.

What max boost will Ryan aim at?

1.4 bar I reckon but once all mapped will be keeping boost down & running normal & only open up for certain occasions & when needed :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

1.4 bar I reckon but once all mapped will be keeping boost down & running normal & only open up for certain occasions & when needed :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

I don't believe you. :no:

I thought like that too before I got my car back from Whifbitz ... so far, I didn't touch the button on the boost controller ... always running the full 1.6 bar of boost. :eyebrows:

Install pics

Nice fitting manifold with hole tapped for EGT sensor

Wastegate adapter had a warped surface but a nice think gasket so fingers crossed no extra expenese needed to make good seal.

Wastegate otherwise fit very nicely. The wastegate had a double vband flange fitment meaning rotating for perfect dumptube exit angle was very easy

Turbo was test fitted to check clearances. All was great

Installing the downpipe was a finger busting job as any amount of twizzling bolts whilst supporting the pipe in position was in vain, it wasnt possible to put in more than 2 downpipe to turbo bolts at one time. Heres why!

The bolt holes drilled in the downpipe were to my surprise not accurate

After some redrilling the downpipe was able to slide up to the turbo

and refitted

The oil return line was trouble the fitment to sump was very tight with a subframe bolt and the line provided ready to install was about 3 inches too long which meant forcing it into place would have had it rubbing up against the steering coloumn, I removed it, broke the connection open, cut the pipe and remade the connection.

Other pipe connections were made along with some capping of now redundant pipes

I was concerend with the location of the boost solinoid, heat might have been a problem so that was relocated.

Once under the car it was very visible there was a clearnace issue with the downpipe and steering column meaning it was impossible

to get a bolt through the hole to make a connection with the exhaust.

I removed the downpipe again and tapped the hole in question with a 14ml tap so a bolt/thread could be screwed in.

The double decat section of exhaust once fitted to the downpipe wouldnt line up with the rear section of exhaust.

Some time and heat had it bent into the correct shape.

Edited by JDModified (see edit history)

!!! WOW !!!

Looking fantastic James mate very neat install + big difference now to what I saw Thursday & love the way you added all pic's to thread good to see it all looking like a proper engine bay once again & well done to you & all of the Toyota GT team.