The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Great heaving misses

Ian C

Ah, well, my bloody ABS system keeled over last night while driving :mad: It stayed dead for three engine start & drive events, then on the way home it magically cleared itself up. wtf? dare I plumb in RLTC while it's possible intermittently bad?!

-Ian

Ah, well, my bloody ABS system keeled over last night while driving :mad: It stayed dead for three engine start & drive events, then on the way home it magically cleared itself up. wtf? dare I plumb in RLTC while it's possible intermittently bad?!

-Ian

What is it with you and electronics! You must give out a huge magnetic field or something... :violin:

At least if you fit the RLTC you'll be able to use to diagnostics to see if the wheel speed sensors are knackered or it's something else. You can always turn the RLTC off if they are.

Aha, well, I've found that the ABS unit has the same style onboard diagnostics as the main ECU, so I'll be interrogating that later :eyebrows:

Yeah, me and electronics. You ever hear about my conductive garage floor? One multimeter probe on the battery, the other probe on the concrete floor, voltage registered. The further the probe moved away from the wheel the lower the voltage. Wholly impossible. I have witnesses :eek2:

-Ian

I'm with Simon. Just connect up the RLTC. You may find it's as simple as one of the ABS plugs is not fully in place correctly.

Either way, you've got to remove the dash, so you may as well just connect the ABS wires and be done with it.

If you still experiance problems, you could always cut the ABS wires from the RLTC in a more accessible location, for easier re-connection at a later date ;)

Well, the ABS diagnostics work but I had 7 stored codes unsuprisingly, as the RLTC was at one point wired up to the wrong wires. I cleared them, and I should have relevant ones stored now (too dark and cold to check :D ) as the lights lit up on the way home tonight. However, they lit up as I jonked over a subsided bit of dual carriageway :D Loose-wire-tastic methinks. So it should be fixable...

Also, the journey today demonstrated that the misfire is getting worse. And it starts at torque peak. And the boost level it happens at is getting lower, and it's worse in higher gears, i.e. load on the engine. With anyone else's car, I'd scream "coil packs!" at them. It didn't cross my mind due to a) the red herring fuel pump shutdown moment (I still can't reconcile that but hey) and b) I replaced the coil packs recently.

But the problem with b) is that I replaced them with ones in fact older than the ones I swapped out (both years and miles)

It's all the right symptoms, even the rapid breakdown to the point now it manifests at 0.5bar boost. Why :banghead: I didn't think of this earlier I don't know :donkey:

So I'm gonna get new ones... Alas it's too late to get them from Toyota in time for the Bruntingthorpe event on wednesday :cry: Sorry folks, although I'll try and show up in paperweight mode.

But still, both problems look like they have regular solutions, so fingers crossed I'm in for a summer of Supra fun and not Footwell Nightmare III.

-Ian

Cheers Terry, I'll give him a bell. Incidentally, thanks for the rapid response from the Vortex team on the spare fuel pressure regulator - it wasn't the problem at all but it was an easy thing to eliminate :thumbs: I'll get it back to you on wednesday.

-Ian

Swapping the coil packs seemed to sort out the misfire at first, although it felt slightly hesitant. I was just about to call someone to say "woohoo" when I tried part throttle 6th gear and it stumbled like mad :cry:

I got home, and just as I was staring at the engine about to jack it all in, Terry Saunders called me to see how it was going and persuaded me to take it out and datalog the stumbling.

To my suprise a) it didn't have any heaving great chugs, and b) my AFRs had plunged down to 9:1's, no wonder it's bogging down! Then I remember that my static pressure wasn't 40psi, it was 36 or 38. I'd set the replacement FPR to 40psi without checking what the old one was currently set at :donkey:

But could 2 to 4 psi of fuel pressure make such a difference? Hell yes :eek:

Going from 40psi to 36psi my AFRs went from 10.5 at WOT to 12.7! That's a lower static than I used to have so I've set it to 38psi and blimey, it runs cleaner and doesn't misfire or stumble. Apart from when RLTC cuts in in 3rd gear at 1.2bar boost :sly:

Hallalujah. Big big thanks to Dude for getting his spanky new coil packs to me in under 24 hours, and also to El Tel for persuading me to have that one last datalogged go.

And to think some of you boys pay other people to do this stuff - you're missing all the fun :rolleyes:

Right, 5 hours of kip and see you at Bruntingthorpe :zzz:

-Ian

Guest Terry S
Nice one Ian. :thumbs:

So was it a combination of fooked FPR and coil packs, or have you taken the new packs off again? Are you going to remove that DLI thingy now?

There was nothing wrong with the FPR!!!!!!!!!

Fecked coil packs and a tired owner..........

Really pleased she ran well yesterday mate.

Yep, deffo wasn't the FPR, it was pilot error in that I didn't set the same pressure on the new one as I had on the old one - I was in such a rush, I whipped off the old one without checking the static pressure first.

I've asked Terry to get me some new packs from the states, I'm assuming Dude wants his back :cry: And I'll be going over the fuel map again to sort it out. Should give me more insights into how fuel pressure affects matters.

-Ian

Why remove the DLI? It's not causing any issue's.... :conf:

You tell me what it does and how it does it and I'll decide if I need it :) It's wired into the wires between the coils and the igniter pack and isn't cylinder-specific so I don't know what it does or how it affects matters. It didn't help clear up any misfires. And strangely the product blurb was a bit wooly on the techie details, apparently it "improves ignition" :)

Still, it's a nice colour :D

-Ian