The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NTL free speed increase today!

JamesG

You mean, I think the 300 as in 300 kilobits per sec and the 30 you quote would be 30 Kilobytes per sec.

It's the most misunderstood factor, isn't it, the difference between the bit and the byte.

I do agree though that it's still bloody slow, especially if you want to run a dedicated games server or maintain files on a remote site by FTP.

Done mine yesterday evening too, now on the 2meg one. Downloading file is alot quicker, but dont notice a great difference in the speed of loading up web sites!

Still, good for a freebe!

You dont need 3 mbits for websites, its just due to the way the pages are built, and the fact NTL use cache servers to save a lot of web site content.

well some good news, some good news and some bad news for me...good news is they will up me to 2mb, the other good news is they have to change my cable box to the shiny new Samsung unit (replacing my ropey old pace box), the bad news is they cant do it until 6th April...so thats a bit of time to wait..

JB

Did anybody look on the cableforum site? It's full of info on the huge upgrade thread.

ntl broadband upgrade speeds from 8th March

# Saturday, March 5, 2005 by Mick Ramsden

We have again, received further reliable information regarding the long awaited ntl broadband speed upgrades. From 8th March 2005, 1MB, 2MB and 3MB broadband speed connections will be launched. ntl will be contacting existing customers and informing them of these upgrades.

It is important to note, that the majority of 750K and 1.5MB customers will be upgraded over the coming weeks. But some networks, in some areas need further upgrades, to ensure that all customers will eventually receive the speed upgrades though this might take some months.

Customers on the 750K package or 1.5MB package, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 2MB and 3MB. 750K customers with a black PACE Set top box and want to change to the new 2MB speed, need to arrange with ntl a Set top box swap, this will be a free swap.

Note that those 750K broadband customers with a black PACE Set top box, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 1MB if they do not arrange a Set top box swap as the black pace set top boxes are only able to provide the maximum of 1MB speed connection. Also note that there will be no change to the usage allowance (1GB daily).

300K customers will not be upgraded automatically. Customers can upgrade to 1MB if they accept a 3GB monthly usage allowance. Customers can either upgrade online or by calling customer services.

Once customers have upgraded to the new speeds, they will be unable to change back to the old speeds. Existing customers on 300K, 750K and 1.5MB cannot move between old speeds.

Just to remind customers of the upgrades and prices and usage allowances of these new speeds:-

300K 1MB Price: £17.99 Usage allowance: 3GB Monthly

750K 2MB Price: £24.99 Usage allowance: 1GB Daily

1.5MB 3MB Price: £37.99 Usage allowance: 1GB Daily

Upload rates are as previously mentioned:-

1MB = 100K

2MB = 200K

3MB = 300K

Customers who exceed their usage allowance with the 1GB daily usage allowance may be contacted by ntl if their usage becomes excessive that it affects quality of service for other broadband customers. Customers on the 1MB connection with 3GB monthly usage, ntl will be monitoring and will identify those who exceed their usage allowance very often, however they will not be enforcing this allowance until later this year.

well some good news, some good news and some bad news for me...good news is they will up me to 2mb, the other good news is they have to change my cable box to the shiny new Samsung unit (replacing my ropey old pace box), the bad news is they cant do it until 6th April...so thats a bit of time to wait..

JB

We have Pace boxes (and 3mb :woot: ) ... no samsungs here?!

Can you get a model/pic of the one you have John.

I have that set top box upstairs but downstairs I have the 12 button one which looks quite different. Its still a pace unit but obviously not capable of the 2mb they are upgrading me to.

All I have read about the silver boxes leads me to think its going to be a great change, the pace boxes are seriously ropey, I have to reset mine once a month and when going through the channel listings its slow and sometimes stops responding for about 20 seconds. Im glad to be changing.

JB

Managed to boost my connection speed last night thru the website.

Not too impressed by NTL's maths though.

"You have a 750Kb connection, choose between a 2000Kb connection (1.5 times faster) or a 3000Kb connection (4 times faster)"!

O...kay. Guess they're trying to make the 3Mb connection more attractive!

:looney:

well NTL decided to completely disable broadband on my cable box, obviously they thought they were upgrading the cable box at 8.30pm last night when they took off the service. Still not back on yet so Im using my parents internet connection..

Its going sooo well.

JB