The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto to 6sp conversion not as difficult as we thought

Branners

6 speed salvage is going for silly money. Nearly as much as straight cars. The arse has completley fallen out of the breaker and salvage game since we joined the E.U.

Eg: 2001 we bought a Uk 6 speed cat c car for £345. Last week I was bidding on a j-spec 6 speed cat b breaker, I gave up at £4250.

6 speed salvage is going for silly money. Nearly as much as straight cars. The arse has completley fallen out of the breaker and salvage game since we joined the E.U.

Eg: 2001 we bought a Uk 6 speed cat c car for £345. Last week I was bidding on a j-spec 6 speed cat b breaker, I gave up at £4250.

WHHAATT, I'd have been better just selling my car to a breaker!

Is that not a case of increased demand vs decreased supply? I read the old mkivsupra.net forum for years before I joined this new one in 2005 and hardly anyone had done the conversion on the old style forum, where's in 2008 it seems every bugger has done or is planning to do the conversion but 6-speeds are thin on the ground, so thin that I'd be looking to supraforums for the parts with so many 6 speeders swapping the TH400's and other drag racing boxes.

MVP sell brand new v160's for $5499 (shipping excluded) with a year warranty from Toyota.

I'm surprised non of the traders on either side of the pond sell transmission conversion kits, even if they don't include the box itself.

• 2 years later...

I came across new v160 boxes on the US supra forum, then searched and found this. The price is still about right too, so why are we still paying £2500 for a 60k + milage gearbox which is only a garanteed milage by guess, when you can get brand new ones for £3,370 with current exchange rate?

I came across new v160 boxes on the US supra forum, then searched and found this. The price is still about right too, so why are we still paying £2500 for a 60k + milage gearbox which is only a garanteed milage by guess, when you can get brand new ones for £3,370 with current exchange rate?

Supply and demand will always determine the price , the price you are quoting for a new one does not include import duties and shipping, add that and it will be over £4k id have thought and thats just the box, £2500 or there abouts normally buys a full second hand 6 speed conversion kit, bargain imo.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)