The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine build suggestions please?

JamieP

I'd have thought a well seasoned block, correctly align bored & honed, decked & matched to a nice set of oversize forged pistons would be better than a green block?

The thermal cycling of a used block means that it is more settled, so when used the bores will remain straight, unline new blocks that may change slightly as they settle. Its also cheaper too!

With a used block, a carefully selected piston & ring pack and a rebore and hone matched to the piston & rings (important as different rings require different bore finishes) you'll have the best of all worlds :)

Stock rods should be fine, but you may want to look into having them checked for length & straightness, matched to each piston & bore for deck height, polished to remove casting flash, balanced end to end, shot peened and ARP bolts used.

Sometimes the cheapest way can also be the best way ;)

• 4 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm picking this up.

I've just ordered a set of Eagle rods for my new engine, but I'm in to minds about getting forged pistons as well. I'm not planning to make much more than 600bhp and that should be possible with my T67 at 1.6bar is. From what I've read, the stock pistons are fine for that...but no more than 1.6 bar I guess?

what's yer thoughts on this...would it be a waste of money to buy forged pistons?

Edited by csa (see edit history)

well I've more or less made the decision. wil go with eagle rods and wiseco pistons (stock size). block will have a slight hone, crank will be polished and head will be rechimed. only think that remains to me deceided is what bearings to go for. I guess it will be power enterprise if I can get the complete set home i time, otherwise it will be stock toyota

oh, and new waterpump and PHR modified oilpump

This quote puts me off eagle rods.

We absolutely do not recommend these rods. The stock 2JZ-GTE rods are just as good as these. If you want nice rods then get Carrillo. We offer these in an effort to carry every product for your Supra, however we definitely do not recommend them.

I've read that quote too, but I've also read a ton of threads on SF with people using eagle with great success. I have yet to hear about a failed eagle rod. At the same time, stating that they are as good as stock, is god enough for me, as I dont need to make huge power. My reason for buing these over stock, is that I want a more agile engine. not silly power

I've seen quite a few engine builds first hand over the last 2 years and seen various rod/piston combo's used supplied by customers who have all been insistant not to listen to their engine builders advice and supply their own rods,pistons from ebay :rolleyes:

I would never use eagle rods having seen them and how much work was needed to make them right, I think even some weisco pistons I've seen needed a fair amount of work before fitting too which just seems so crap imo.

Currently the engine builder next door to me is doing an RB25 build with Carrillo's and Tomei pistons, the carrillo's were 100% perfect as to be expected :) the Tomei's still needed very minor work but still a good piston but might not be very good vfm, I'd imagine the CP pistons need some work too but I believe they are now under the Carrillo name now? so if Carrillo are happy to put their name against them I guess you might assume they can't be all that bad :)

Could you ellaborate on the work needed to "make the rods right"?

I've seen quite a few engine builds first hand over the last 2 years and seen various rod/piston combo's used supplied by customers who have all been insistant not to listen to their engine builders advice and supply their own rods,pistons from ebay :rolleyes:

I would never use eagle rods having seen them and how much work was needed to make them right, I think even some weisco pistons I've seen needed a fair amount of work before fitting too which just seems so crap imo.

Currently the engine builder next door to me is doing an RB25 build with Carrillo's and Tomei pistons, the carrillo's were 100% perfect as to be expected :) the Tomei's still needed very minor work but still a good piston but might not be very good vfm, I'd imagine the CP pistons need some work too but I believe they are now under the Carrillo name now? so if Carrillo are happy to put their name against them I guess you might assume they can't be all that bad :)

From what I can remember (this was a few months ago) the rods were very poorly finished from factory and needed honing, minor filing for the little ends and the wrist pins to fit (I hope I havent muddled this bit up :D ) this particular customer only wanted the bare minimum done to go back in the engine and didn't have the budget to get the rods weight matched which most probably needed to be done.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

Unless the quality has changed over the last 2 years,

the eagle rods that were fitted to both Mike B's car ( then Terrys) & mine were fine.

Both engines have stock pistons.

When weighed, both sets of 6 rods were all within 1gm of each other, & just over a third lighter than stock.

There were no issues with fitting & the engine/s are far more responsive than with stock rods.

I have done just over 35K miles with no issues, Daily driver & often hit 1.6-1.7 bar,........Risky? ...maybe.

My engine has no oil loss between Changes( every 3k), & nothing apart from a little condensation water in the catch tank.

But both cars were mapped by Reg Riemer using the F-con V pro, & the VVti ecu seems to keep Detonation under control .

maybe this has made a difference to the longevity on our engines:shrug:

i have a set of Eagle rods sat in the garage, i bought them after reading all the negative stuff about them with a view of checking them out first and if not up to my exacting standards ;) i would sell them on, however i couldn't fault them from measuring up and weighing, i know this does not indicate the materials used and they are probably no stronger than stock but the key point is they are a lot lighter, do a search on SF for how many use them and the failures

I'd have thought a well seasoned block, correctly align bored & honed, decked & matched to a nice set of oversize forged pistons would be better than a green block?

The thermal cycling of a used block means that it is more settled, so when used the bores will remain straight, unline new blocks that may change slightly as they settle. Its also cheaper too!

With a used block, a carefully selected piston & ring pack and a rebore and hone matched to the piston & rings (important as different rings require different bore finishes) you'll have the best of all worlds :)

Stock rods should be fine, but you may want to look into having them checked for length & straightness, matched to each piston & bore for deck height, polished to remove casting flash, balanced end to end, shot peened and ARP bolts used.

Sometimes the cheapest way can also be the best way ;)

Agreed! other than perhaps some uprated rods, a seasoned block, is a much better prospect, (BMW didn't leave theirs outside without a reason;))

Head wise, i really don't see much to be had for porting, head is reasonably good anyway, porting and blending does not have quite the same effect on forced induction.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

From what I can remember (this was a few months ago) the rods were very poorly finished from factory and needed honing, minor filing for the little ends and the wrist pins to fit (I hope I havent muddled this bit up :D ) this particular customer only wanted the bare minimum done to go back in the engine and didn't have the budget to get the rods weight matched which most probably needed to be done.

Thats exactly what ive been told by the guy that did the machine work on private piles car, he said the difference in quality between the eagle and carrillo rods was massive.

Thats exactly what ive been told by the guy that did the machine work on private piles car, he said the difference in quality between the eagle and carrillo rods was massive.

As before Jamie if you want me to give you the details of the guy I'd 100% recommned to any member on here just pm, even if you just want to talk options and prices with him :)