The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GB pound VS JPN yen

grahamc

Its not just those few, its the £ VS everything... The £ is crashing against all other currencies. Why? It supposed to be a world credit crisis and yet the £ is worst hit!

One reason (maybe the main one?) is due to how the 'country' (aka Brown/Darjeeling) is borrowing to spend its way out of the recession when we're way in debt already :rolleyes:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE GOOD NEWS is that it's good for exports. Every cloud has a silver lining. Think positive people.

Not benefitting me building my track car at all :(

What do we manufacture in abundance to export?

cold weather and idiot politicians, that we would happily pay for others to take away! ;)

I think most of the jdm car importers especially the ones at the dodgier end of the scale will go under because of this but it will also crucify any big Japanese manufacturers with lots of domestic bases that sells primarily exports (ie the bike manufacturers like Kawasaki & Suzuki that make most of their money in the over 400cc classes).

GBR exports about as much as we import, and we export a hell of a lot of cars and aerospace but services was our bread winner.

Germany is a hugely industrial nation that heavily relies on manufactoring exports and are in a worse position that most (except us with Drowning in charge) because people aren't buying big cars and companies are not refitting heavy equipment.

Ouch... I went there the summer before last, 250 yen to a pound... I was surprised by how cheap everything was over there given it's reputation for being one of the most expensive cities in the world - a relative bargain compared to London, £2 for a McDonalds, £1.50 for a Starbucks coffee, cheap public transport, £100 a night for a 5 star double hotel room in central Tokyo.. Returned laden with shiny Nikon dSLR bodies and lenses....

Was there again last Christmas, 200 yen to a pound... still relatively cheap...

I was planning on going again this spring but unless things reverse themselves looks like I'll be going elsewhere :(

luckily we have 7 fresh cars in stock that we got at a decent rate but they are not sellling fast..

but last week i 2 UK based Imports..which with the way things are going it might be what i have to do:( from now on and also increase on servicing work.

sad days :(

needs must :(

Sorry I don't mean to pry on the business side of things, but don't you keep an account over there in Japan stuffed full of Yen? That would mean it'd keep you shored up more when currency hits go like this? Or would be akin to investing in the money markets I suppose.

If I ran an export business mainly dealing with Yen I'd have thought to have 50% of funds stored in the local currency in a local based business account would be the best bet.

Admittedly on the flipside it does leave you exposed if the Yen absolutely crashed, but then there's that sort of risk in any currency.

Sorry I don't mean to pry on the business side of things, but don't you keep an account over there in Japan stuffed full of Yen? That would mean it'd keep you shored up more when currency hits go like this? Or would be akin to investing in the money markets I suppose.

If I ran an export business mainly dealing with Yen I'd have thought to have 50% of funds stored in the local currency in a local based business account would be the best bet.

Admittedly on the flipside it does leave you exposed if the Yen absolutely crashed, but then there's that sort of risk in any currency.

this can go either way and its a lottery thats a risk