The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GB pound VS JPN yen

grahamc

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Just a quick bump - then Yen has dropped today to 172 to the pound which is quite frankly horrible - yesterday I was calculating prices at 182.

Gaz.

I have been watching it as well :( Prices for my R34 are getting horrendous! Looks like one in the UK would be a better option!

• 2 weeks later...

Another bump.

This is absolutely horrendous. The yen now is 141 to the pound.

It was higher than that when we started in business some 6 years ago.

To give you some idea, last July (2007) if you bought a 80mm Greddy Ti-R exhaust, the price was £820. If you bought the same exhaust 2 months ago it was £980, and if you bought it today £1350.

I hope it changes for the better soon :(

Best Regards,

Gaz.

But wasn't everyone praising Gordon recently for saving us all??

TBH, that was all extrememly premature. The way the currency is going at the moment, the BOE won't have a chance of dropping the interest rates as this would drive Sterling down even further - in fact if Sterling keeps this up, interest rates will have to go back up again.

Gordon has f*@ked it up properly as we've got no money to try and buy some of the cash back to stem the flow of sterling being dumped on the money markets.

I feel that the Yen will come back into line slightly; Japan's experts even warned not to think Yen will keep rising in relative value, as they see a correction coming

However, we've devalued the pound by dropping the base rate, announcing that we're entering a recession, and by the expectation that we'll drop the base rate further (!) which only serves to look after people who mismanage money ahead of looking after those who were sensible and/or had savings instead of massive debts.

But wasn't everyone praising Gordon recently for saving us all??

Only very stupid people who can't see what's going on. :(

Another bump.

This is absolutely horrendous. The yen now is 141 to the pound.

It was higher than that when we started in business some 6 years ago.

To give you some idea, last July (2007) if you bought a 80mm Greddy Ti-R exhaust, the price was £820. If you bought the same exhaust 2 months ago it was £980, and if you bought it today £1350.

I hope it changes for the better soon :(

Best Regards,

Gaz.

:blink: nothing more to be said really:(

i had 3 orders with customers and all paid deposits to me, x2 of my customers we have found cars at dealers in japan but every day the car goes up by £300-£500 pound so i am scared to commit to the deals in japan...then be out of pocket

not looking good..

Yep, you'll be suffering as well mate :(

• 1 month later...

I realise that not everybody is as interested in the Euro/GBP exchange rate - but that is suffering just as horribly.

Working in the freight industry, we have to be right on top of the fuel costs (our drivers buy all their fuel on the continent where it is cheaper); as we also pay all our hauliers in Euros too, we find that our costs are increasing week by week, rather than month by month - and at a rate I've never experienced before.

At the beginning of the year, the English pound was worth just over 1.50 Euros - the latest official exchange rate is 1.18 (I believe), and we are calculating costs at 1.20.

The situation really is strangling the life out of the economy.

I realise that not everybody is as interested in the Euro/GBP exchange rate - but that is suffering just as horribly.

Working in the freight industry, we have to be right on top of the fuel costs (our drivers buy all their fuel on the continent where it is cheaper); as we also pay all our hauliers in Euros too, we find that our costs are increasing week by week, rather than month by month - and at a rate I've never experienced before.

At the beginning of the year, the English pound was worth just over 1.50 Euros - the latest official exchange rate is 1.18 (I believe), and we are calculating costs at 1.20.

The situation really is strangling the life out of the economy.

Its not just those few, its the £ VS everything... The £ is crashing against all other currencies. Why? It supposed to be a world credit crisis and yet the £ is worst hit!