The mkiv Supra Owners Club

building trade, work has dryed up

Paul372

anyone else in the building trade has found that the work is drying up. i haven't had much on at all the last couple of weeks just little bits and peices odd few days here and there. i ve been pretty solid with work for the last couple of years but now its really gone quite i need to try and bring in some work anyone got any contacts or ideas how i can get some work coming in

My dad is a site manager for a reasonably big company in shropshire. They have had to let quite a few office and site staff go and cut the hours of others. I work for an architect and the residential side is certainly a lot slower though the commercial and industrial isn't to bad.

The Stratford olympic and shopping mall site have had a lot of building staff not having their contract renewed.

Confusing to me as they'll need someone to build the mall and olympic park. :confused: :blink:

But unbelievably they are actually AHEAD, yes ahead of schedule. Never known such a big project to be like that.

I was working as a electrician, and got laid off last Thursday with 2 other people, i also have a friend who was a sparky doing meters and he got laid off the same day with another company, everyone else on site including the brickies, scaffolders and site managers are all watching their backs at the moment as its only going to get worse! Esp with new build, we had sites closing down at midday (barrats) for big meetings and they had to lay off hundreds of people, people just cant afford to buy new houses at the moment. It should pick again soon, i wouldn't say too soon though!

Education and Healthcare are always stable. Unfortunately, its "back to school" time now, but had you asked a few months ago, I'd have told you that most schools and colleges do lots of little Summer Work jobs. Little extensions or internal rearrangements. Hospitals do too without the summer holiday thing, so try to get in touch with the Estate Managers Office and get onto their list of approved contractors.

it is across the board - solicitors & estate agents are getting paid off too. good of the government to promise a cut in stamp duty - this put a full stop on purchases as everyone started to wait and see if they would save thousands - then they give out crumbs in the not too distant future. they should have scrapped it on houses up to 500k for the next 12 months, that would have given the whole business a big boost and have a long term benefit but they are so short sighted and can't see the effects. the tax has no relevance in this day and age anyway, "oh you want to move house please pay a big sum to the government" - for what exactly!! :search:

sorry, got into a rant there.

"oh you want to move house please pay a big sum to the government" - for what exactly!! :search:

sorry, got into a rant there.

I feel like that with Inheritance Tax too. "I know you paid Stamp Duty when you bought it, and you've paid Income Tax on all your earnings to pay the mortgage, and you paid VAT on everything you bought to put in it, but if you try and leave it to your children, we STILL want a big slice of it back"

anyone else in the building trade has found that the work is drying up. i haven't had much on at all the last couple of weeks just little bits and peices odd few days here and there. i ve been pretty solid with work for the last couple of years but now its really gone quite i need to try and bring in some work anyone got any contacts or ideas how i can get some work coming in

I need a builder to build me a dwarf wall for my conservatory (1 wall being full height to the house) and lay the concreate base.

Not a huge job i know lol :)

I can tell you now where all the money is for building, it is in the housing association sector. I prepare estimates for all major house building company's this includes Barratts, Taylor wimpey Group, Persimmon, Miller's.

All these companies have stoped building on there sites and are now building to order basically. Or like i said the housing association side of things.

The company i work for have the biggest relationship with the above companies and the one thing i know for sure is that they have downed tools on most sites until the new year.

We have orders from them for over 126 million pound but they are not calling any of our products off. so it is a waiting game at the minute am affraid.

We deal with a lot of small builders aswell and thay are our only source at the minute for money.

So good luck is what is needed.:)

It has slowed down thats for sure, the main areas hit are Housing and Shopfitting.

Hopefully it will pick up soon, because I got made redundent about 4 months ago, and as a result I started my own business as a freelance draughtsman, its been going very well, but I don't like what I'm hearing.

Pretty much anything connected to 'New Build' is in a bad way by us. Brickie's, Plasterers, Sparkys etc are getting laid off everywhere. All the big sites are just being made watertight and then are shut up.

Me and my old man are builders and we just do small new build sites to sell on ourselves. We're starting 4 bungalows next week which is good work wise but we're pretty worried that when we're done we wont be able to sell. We currently have 3 other refurbs we've done which are sitting on the market unsold! :(

The kind of builders that are busy are those that do extensions, conservatory's, garages etc. We have a block paver who rents a yard off us who has never been so busy.

That's what happens when people cant sell their house and move to something better, they improve what they already have!

Pretty much anything connected to 'New Build' is in a bad way by us. Brickie's, Plasterers, Sparkys etc are getting laid off everywhere. All the big sites are just being made watertight and then are shut up.

Me and my old man are builders and we just do small new build sites to sell on ourselves. We're starting 4 bungalows next week which is good work wise but we're pretty worried that when we're done we wont be able to sell. We currently have 3 other refurbs we've done which are sitting on the market unsold! :(

The kind of builders that are busy are those that do extensions, conservatory's, garages etc. We have a block paver who rents a yard off us who has never been so busy.

That's what happens when people cant sell their house and move to something better, they improve what they already have!

if you ever need any windows we provide the best windows in the business, just ask any major builder and we are very competative on price, plus i can get them even cheaper that what we sell them at as i get 70% off, so if any body needs windows just contact me and i can sort you out.... any spec or style.... specially you builders out there that are building one offs etc i can sort you out.;)

Funny this should come up, me and the other plumbers have been asked today to take a wage drop from £650 down to £500, although I have managed to negotiate that back to £560 I'm still pi$$ed right off!

I was promised a rise last month!!:blink:

The fact that the work is driying up and there is no shortage of tradesmen leaves me between a rock and a hard place.:(