The mkiv Supra Owners Club

not the job you studied for

toyotasupra1980

Hiya all how many of you have studied got your degree's and hnd's, and when it comes down to looking for a job you either work with your family or work in a job thats not even related to what you have studied.

I have a long list of qualifications,went into college glan hafren got my btec first and national diploma's in IT graduated from glamorgan university and obtained a Bsc Hons Degree in computing and an HND in computer studies, worked for the welsh assembly as a system tester working on a funding project which i loved but it was not permanent job contract, looking for IT work in web design or even systems testing but for some reason they are just not there, i have not been without a job tho, i have been working with my family in an italian restaurant, and to be honest i get paid much more and better than doing fulltime data entry at british gas which i used to for when i was 18, even the food i love which my auntie cooks.

You would probably be best off in the restaurant then mate,at least youll not go hungry,lol

i work every day except mondays in the nights, but i would like to do something in the day, but i was told recently that the 9 - 5 jobs dont exist anymore which is bollocks, when i worked at the assembly even tho it was a project i only had to do 32 hours a week.

I dont have a degree or a hnd but I do have a job where I work 11 days a month and get 16K for it. And before you start huffing, my day starts at 8am and finishes at 11pm and for 7 of those days it is till 9am the next morning

thats bad mate even for 16k a year i believe they should pay more.

my assembly job on the european funding project was not permanent but i got paid over 17k for the year and it was time flexible.

Hiya all how many of you have studied got your degree's and hnd's, and when it comes down to looking for a job you either work with your family or work in a job thats not even related to what you have studied.

I have a long list of qualifications,went into college glan hafren got my btec first and national diploma's in IT graduated from glamorgan university and obtained a Bsc Hons Degree in computing and an HND in computer studies, worked for the welsh assembly as a system tester working on a funding project which i loved but it was not permanent job contract, looking for IT work in web design or even systems testing but for some reason they are just not there, i have not been without a job tho, i have been working with my family in an italian restaurant, and to be honest i get paid much more and better than doing fulltime data entry at british gas which i used to for when i was 18, even the food i love which my auntie cooks.

This seems to be more and more the case.

Everyone I know who has made it to the job they really wanted after getting the relevant qualifications they studied, has gone well outside the box to get the job they dreamed.

E.g. making various websites relevant to their industry to prove to their prospective employees they are that good at what they studied. Or writing journals etc, geeky but if you want something in life you have to go out there and get it.

It just goes to show that a good education doesnt always deliver a good job at the end.

Thats why my dad said to me "get a trade son its something you can fall back on".

And i did and ive been a spark for 14 years now i work 37hrs a week for about 30k so its not bad but can be a james hunt sometimes.

This seems to be more and more the case.

Everyone I know who has made it to the job they really wanted after getting the relevant qualifications they studied, has gone well outside the box to get the job they dreamed.

E.g. making various websites relevant to their industry to prove to their prospective employees they are that good at what they studied. Or writing journals etc, geeky but if you want something in life you have to go out there and get it.

i have the tools to do a good job other wise i would not have landed the job working on a big project for the assembly but working outside the box thats the problem mate i dont want to leave cardiff, evrything i know, own and love is in cardiff.

i have the tools to do a good job other wise i would not have landed the job working on a big project for the assembly but working outside the box thats the problem mate i dont want to leave cardiff, evrything i know, own and love is in cardiff.

I see where you are coming from. I eventually had to leave Bath, which is the place I went to uni and stayed a year or two thereafter. Absolutely loved the town and people, but just no financial jobs there. Well not paying the amount I wanted to get :D

Hey that was my one thousandth post if there is such a word! Do I get a medal ;)

Move out of the sticks.

Never a truer word said :D

I studied computer science (a joke in itself!) and mathematics at Uni, but ended up as an IT recruitment consultant as a first job. That sucked, so placed myself into a blue chip company and have been there since. Never intended or expected to be doing what I do now, but do love the job and the travel.

The A level and Uni stuff has no relevance to the job, but the character building/experience of being there made the rest possible :) Without it I'd probably be stacking shelves in Asda :D

already started to think about becoming a driving instructor for bsm, also ordered the starter pack, apart from loving computers, playing computer games and modding cars, i love to drive, so why not teach i say, my best mate who is a qualified instructor pitched the idea to me and also want's to start a business with me when i become a fully qualified instructor.

Just shows that nobody can predict the future not even you no matter what you do or study.

looking for IT work in web design or even systems testing but for some reason they are just not there

Majority of that stuff is done by off shore body shops, I remember working for a certain large german company and it was cheaper for us to fly our indian staff over to the UK and put them up in a hotel than it was to use local staff. :(

I did some work for the Welsh Assembly, streaming the video feeds, exciting stuff :D

Are you stalking me or something :p, I did a fair bit for WA as well, mainly on some building design stuff. You weren't lucky enough to visit Cathays where you? Reminded me of a Russian Nuclear bunker, DARK, horrible and all looking the same, still it was on Uni land and did have some nice scenery :)

I didn't go to uni but managed to get myself a post-graduate job.

Meh, uni is over rated in my opinoin, I did a BSC electronic engineering, BA tourism (supposedly, never went) and Bsc in weather mechanics....guess what, I don't do ANY of it now... IT monkey :)

• 2 weeks later...

Degree in mechanical engineering then worked as consultant for 2 years was 6 months off finishing my 7 years to get qualified but realised how much I hated it so quit.

Took a massive pay cut and worked behind a couple of bars and in a gym for a while, did diploma in photography and have been self employed photographer for 11 years now. Love it - wouldn't ever change and would struggle to work for anyone else now!

Life's a journey, mine's taken a few random turns but it's the attitude towards what happens that really counts in my book. That and the determination and confidence to change things if they suck!

Degree in mechanical engineering then worked as consultant for 2 years was 6 months off finishing my 7 years to get qualified but realised how much I hated it so quit.

Took a massive pay cut and worked behind a couple of bars and in a gym for a while, did diploma in photography and have been self employed photographer for 11 years now. Love it - wouldn't ever change and would struggle to work for anyone else now!

Life's a journey, mine's taken a few random turns but it's the attitude towards what happens that really counts in my book. That and the determination and confidence to change things if they suck!

Random turns indeed, congrats though for making a go of it

I landed a post grad Control Systems job by fluke, my C.V was addressed to an electronics company that went bust and it landed on their desk by mistake, 2jobs later in the same line of work and here I am, but the pay ladder is slow, can only see another big jump in salary if I move again or enhance my skillset

Its interesting but your never in control of a full project as they are so huge! There are so many skillsets involved some of which I have some of which I dont, the first integrator was small but they looked the way I want to go in the future but I'd still be earning buttons if I stayed with them. Short of doing 4degrees - of which the majority would be balls anyhow, I dont see my company spending time developing skills I dont currently have. Contractual work and Self Employed stuff is way off for me in this line of work, est. 3-4years, hopefully I'll be plying my trade in another country by then! Or maybe doing something different!:search: