The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Belgium GP *SPOILERS INSIDE*

RedM

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewis chose to go onto the run-off area, the move was never on. If there had been an armco barrier there, he would have tucked in behind KR. He gained an advantage from using the run-off area, McLaren knew that, that's why they asked Charlie for his opinion. Get rid of the tarmac run-offs, put gravel traps back in. It'll be much better.

:yeahthat:

I am pi$$ed off too about the penalty, once again the FIA come down on everyone except Ferrari. In this situation a fine woudl have been more than enough, after all Kimi blew it.

Lewis chose to go onto the run-off area, the move was never on. If there had been an armco barrier there, he would have tucked in behind KR. He gained an advantage from using the run-off area, McLaren knew that, that's why they asked Charlie for his opinion. Get rid of the tarmac run-offs, put gravel traps back in. It'll be much better.

Mclaren released telemetary that shows LH was 6kph slower over the start line- so where is the advantage?

Mclaren released telemetary that shows LH was 6kph slower over the start line- so where is the advantage?

I guess with the momentum coming out the corer LH was able to stay close enough to Kimi and not be affected by the tubulent air. However Kimi did go past, the FIA make (up) the rules. :(

I guess with the momentum coming out the corer LH was able to stay close enough to Kimi and not be affected by the tubulent air.

Turbulent air is a boost in a straight line, a hole in the air decreases drag allows the car to go faster. In corners though that lack of air reduces downforce.

Kimi's car was setup with more downforce that Lewis'. In the speed traps Kimi was some 5kmh slower than Lewis. This is why Kimi was consistantly fastest through the second sector of the lap where cornering apex speed was key, not out right speed.

Lewis was able to gain on Kimi once aero grip was reduced by the weather, cause they had to drive slower.

Ahh right, that makes sense, cheers :)

And when the run across the tarmac began LH was just about to do an overtake anyway, he was so close that letting him through after the bend only took him back where he started or even further behind, to then overtake again is just carrying on what was happening before the incident! He gained no advantage at all.

Oh come on Gord, he was on his gearbox if he was side by side at the previous corner!!!

Think of it as a drag race Alex. KR comes round a 90 degree bend before he starts., LH starts from behind but in a straight line. So KR is ahead at the control line but LH shoots past a couple of hundred metres later.

Having had experience of stewards at FIA events, I could see this coming a mile off, Surprised McLaren didn't.

Turbulent air is a boost in a straight line, a hole in the air decreases drag allows the car to go faster. In corners though that lack of air reduces downforce.

Very true, however the point I am getting at is, IF LH had followed the correct line of the chicane (not necessarily right behind Kimi) he would never have been that close the Kimi, this is why I made the comment of momentum as he was in his slipstream from the word go really, IF he did come out the corner normally the turbulant air would have slightly hampered LH (why do you think F1 can be so boring? As F1 cars hate turbulant air hampering overtaking.).

However to be honest even if he did come out of the chicane behind Kimi I do not think it would have been many corners before LH passed him anyway.

Plus the fact that after Kimi was passed by Lewis. he did manage to get back in front again, only to lose it when he was well in front of Lewis. (Allowing Lewis to pass him again) When he finally stuffed it into the wall, he was already a couple of seconds behind lewis, wasn't he?

I'd say too much happened between the incident for which Lewis was penalised and Kimi finally crashing into the wall for Lewis's excursion across the grass to have had any effect on the result.

Plus the fact that after Kimi was passed by Lewis. he did manage to get back in front again, only to lose it when he was well in front of Lewis. (Allowing Lewis to pass him again) When he finally stuffed it into the wall, he was already a couple of seconds behind lewis, wasn't he?

I'd say too much happened between the incident for which Lewis was penalised and Kimi finally crashing into the wall for Lewis's excursion across the grass to have had any effect on the result.

:yeahthat:

Another good post

Mike

Very true, however the point I am getting at is, IF LH had followed the correct line of the chicane (not necessarily right behind Kimi) he would never have been that close the Kimi, this is why I made the comment of momentum as he was in his slipstream from the word go really, IF he did come out the corner normally the turbulant air would have slightly hampered LH (why do you think F1 can be so boring? As F1 cars hate turbulant air hampering overtaking.).

However to be honest even if he did come out of the chicane behind Kimi I do not think it would have been many corners before LH passed him anyway.

Turbulence isn't a real factor in a 50mph chicane though. And Lewis would have had him at the end of the next straight.

As Soop says it all balanced out in the end, I can't see why this is even an issue...after all the advantage Kimi got from driving off the circuit.

Whether this is just or not, there is a massive issue with law's and law enforcement in F1 and all it does is annoy the spectators.

Turbulence isn't a real factor in a 50mph chicane though. And Lewis would have had him at the end of the next straight.

As Soop says it all balanced out in the end, I can't see why this is even an issue...after all the advantage Kimi got from driving off the circuit.

Whether this is just or not, there is a massive issue with law's and law enforcement in F1 and all it does is annoy the spectators.

And tarnish the reputation of the sport.

The FIA will sink their own ship if they're not careful.

Just for clarity can someone remind me of what happened after the disputed lead swap?

As I understand it LH went over the grass while in the lead allowing KR to regain the lead. It was then that KR went off for good.

Am I right? If I am then how does the Bus-Stop overtake even figure in things?