The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So.. This guitar lark... Goals?

Scott

Learning my first song now. I think i am jumping ahead but i want to keep my interest as i get bored easily. Targeting a song should hopefully keep me entertained.

Green Day - Good Riddance

Seems easy enough, although my ring finger is in agony after 20 mins lol.

Great song , good luck with that.

I had a years worth of guitar lessons in like second year (High School) and i cant play diddly-squat ! One day though....

Beatles' songs are often relatively easy. I think you could probably get to this standard in six months or so ;) (he get's going at 2:32 onwards):

mYzajpeAWuA

Great video that, i acutally thought about some beatles tracks but i thought i would go for something i really really liked.

Great song , good luck with that.

I had a years worth of guitar lessons in like second year (High School) and i cant play diddly-squat ! One day though....

Thanks, i held a guitar once in music but that was only for about an hour. I was more of a drums fan lol.

• 3 weeks later...

For any beginners or intermediate players looking to learn, check out http://www.justinguitar.com. It's a free video-based guitar learning site and has some cracking lessons.

Justin is a great down to earth guy. He teaches at the London Institute and has had many TV appearances, including lots of performances with Katie Melua (who, incidentally learned the guitar from him).

I've learned a lot from there...

I started learning to play about 8 weeks ago or so.

I tried learning from a book and felt that I was struggling quite a bit, so I found a local guy who I'm getting lessons from.

In 8 weeks I can play a couple of songs ("Little Sister" by Q.O.T.S.A. and "All my life" by the Foo Fighters) I know the 15 basic open chords and have done a couple of simple compositions and recorded them.

Without taking the lessons I would have struggled to have done any of that.

The advice I've been given and I would give to you is that if you're learning a song and area struggling with one bit, slow it right down. Then play the bit you're struggling again and again at the slow speed. Slowly speed up as you learn it. But if you play the whole song, make sure you play it all at one speed. Don't play the easy bits at full speed and then the slow bits at half the speed, it will just sound bad. If you play it all at a constant speed it will sound better and annoy those who have to listen to you practice less! ;)

Also buy yourself a tuner. You can pick up a cheap one for about £15.

For any beginners or intermediate players looking to learn, check out www.justinguitar.com. It's a free video-based guitar learning site and has some cracking lessons.

Justin is a great down to earth guy. He teaches at the London Institute and has had many TV appearances, including lots of performances with Katie Melua (who, incidentally learned the guitar from him).

I've learned a lot from there...

Thanks for that, i've added it.

I learened that last week too, The picking version

Is there another version? The one i play starts off with picking.

Yep , it really does help to have someone teach you face to face. Also helps to be taught songs that you will enjoy playing, which then encourages you to have a go at working out more of your favourite stuff. The lad who taught me got paid with a triple ELP album - god knows why I ever bought it, but it turned out to be a bargain in the end [GRIN][/GRIN]