The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So.. This guitar lark... Goals?

Scott

Ok, so i bought one of those guitar's that Michael found on the ebuyer site.

I only have 1 friend that plays the guitar and he talks out of his arse half the time so i haven't even bothered to ask him what goals i should be setting myself. Ive read that picking up the basics is the hard part and that once you have a 'feel' for the guitar the rest comes merely from practice.

I have been playing for about 3 hours over a space of 2 days and was wondering if i was at an acceptable level for that amount of time. At the moment i can play 3 chords quite comfortably, i can strum very comfortably and i can even tune the guitar with a little help from youtube.

The thing thats annoying me is that i cannot switch chords fast enough to keep a rhythm going. I reckon it takes me over a second to go from one chord to the next.

Is this normal, or am i just really slow? What sort of goals should i look to achieve? I understand everyone is different but i like to know what to aim for.

Guest chinstrapped

Nah it's normal. Keep practicing, and concentrate on making those transitions. Make sure when you do your chords you don't just strum, do some fingerpicking too, that keeps up your discipline to fret each note properly without affecting adjacent strings.

The other thing I'd recommend is learning the basic barre chord shapes ASAP (same shapes as for E Maj, E Min, A Maj, A Min), this will save you the hassle of learning loads of obscure chord shapes - you can just move your barre up and down the fretboard to hit most chords. Depends mostly what style you play though - it works well for rock (well, lazy barres, power-chords lol) but perhaps not so good for folky stuff. The only thing is, it's really tough on your forearm and hand muscles!

Good luck!

I'd say you're on track. It does take a while for the 'muscle memory' to make the chord changes quickly and fluid, but just keep practicing. When I first started learning, I took a couple of easy songs that are just 3/4 chords and played them over and over (much to the annoyance of everyone in the house). Choose things with fairly basic chords, like Knockin on Heaven's door, or Hurt by Jonny Cash. Or find something specific from a band you like, that has simple 3/4 chord patterns and get that so you're playing at the right tempo and playing the chords cleanly.

Also, if you've played 3 hours in two days, keeping that kind of commitment is important for getting good. If you don't get lazy, progress will come very quickly.

It takes years of practice to get good at it. Takes a while to lose the feeling in the tips of your fingers so that playing for hours doesn't hurt like hell.

I wasted my youth playing the electric guitar, trying to be Joe Satriani, Stevie Vai, Van Halen, James Hetfield, etc. Havn't played in years now though, still got the guitar and amp tucked away someplace I believe. (Unless the wife has had a clear out)

Ok, so i bought one of those guitar's that Michael found on the ebuyer site.

I only have 1 friend that plays the guitar and he talks out of his arse half the time so i haven't even bothered to ask him what goals i should be setting myself. Ive read that picking up the basics is the hard part and that once you have a 'feel' for the guitar the rest comes merely from practice.

I have been playing for about 3 hours over a space of 2 days and was wondering if i was at an acceptable level for that amount of time. At the moment i can play 3 chords quite comfortably, i can strum very comfortably and i can even tune the guitar with a little help from youtube.

The thing thats annoying me is that i cannot switch chords fast enough to keep a rhythm going. I reckon it takes me over a second to go from one chord to the next.

Is this normal, or am i just really slow? What sort of goals should i look to achieve? I understand everyone is different but i like to know what to aim for.

Of course its normal, you have only been playing for a few days lol. When i started i borrowed my Dads guitar and i gave my self 6mths to see if im still doing it and enjoying brfore i bought my self a guitar. i dnt think i was as spending as long as u were when i first started thought,i would say spend as long as u like on it, somethimes im on it for hours, if im playing crap im on it for 5 min lol. I would say buy a tuner, there only £5 or so, I have been taken lessons for years which i recommend, you never knowwhat bad habbits your pickingup. I just got my new baby a few mths back,Its a Epiphone Les paul Slash signature. only made 2500 of them [GRIN][/GRIN]

Of course its normal, you have only been playing for a few days lol. When i started i borrowed my Dads guitar and i gave my self 6mths to see if im still doing it and enjoying brfore i bought my self a guitar. i dnt think i was as spending as long as u were when i first started thought,i would say spend as long as u like on it, somethimes im on it for hours, if im playing crap im on it for 5 min lol. I would say buy a tuner, there only £5 or so, I have been taken lessons for years which i recommend, you never knowwhat bad habbits your pickingup. I just got my new baby a few mths back,Its a Epiphone Les paul Slash signature. only made 2500 of them [GRIN][/GRIN]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mplavery/DSC00164.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mplavery/DSC00160.jpg

I want/need that guitar in my life.

Lol@you guys talking about tabs and finger picking.

I'm guessing most of you have forgotten what its like for the first 2 days of guitar playing.

I understand what your saying though, i have been "fingerpicking" (using the plectrum) the Everybody Hurts intro while holding D. I had a little go this morning and even though i can't get the transition between chords perfect it is getting there.

Realistically i'm aiming to put away around an hour a day. Minimum of half an hour.

Guest chinstrapped
Isopropyl alcohol ;)

LOL sorry! **thumps head**

Not sure to be honest, worth giving it a go. You'll notice a difference if it works. But surgical spirit's cheap as chips anyway, probably £1.50 for 200ml from any pharmacy. It's a temporary fix, but it really helps in the beginning. In a month or two (esp. playing around an hour a day) you won't need it at all.

Read your own post back to yourself in 6 months, then 5 years and then 20 years.

Your doing very well :)

Read your own post back to yourself in 6 months, then 5 years and then 20 years.

Your doing very well :)

Thanks, i'm a bit pissed off that i didn't give it a go when i was younger. Older you get, harder things are to learn. I'm guessing a kid would be running rings round me by now lol.

Guest chinstrapped

:yeahthat:

And play them in rhythm, put on a tune you like and do the scale in that key. A major regret of mine is I didn't start doing scales when I began playing... Makes you a MUCH better player.

I started off learning a few of the basic chords, and just playing 2 over and over again with different strumming patterns, alternating chords (ie G then C then G etc, or D and A, or whatever you want)

Once you manage to nail the chord transitions, you could try strumming differently, or playing 3 chords repeated for example to build up the muscle memory of changing to different chords. Then you could go for 'harder' chords, ie the minors, or suspended ones etc

Maybe you could use a metronome program on the net to keep your timing in check as well? Or use that when playing chords, ie strum a G chord for 4 beats, then a C chord for another 4 beats?

I started off learning a few of the basic chords, and just playing 2 over and over again with different strumming patterns, alternating chords (ie G then C then G etc, or D and A, or whatever you want)

Once you manage to nail the chord transitions, you could try strumming differently, or playing 3 chords repeated for example to build up the muscle memory of changing to different chords. Then you could go for 'harder' chords, ie the minors, or suspended ones etc

Maybe you could use a metronome program on the net to keep your timing in check as well? Or use that when playing chords, ie strum a G chord for 4 beats, then a C chord for another 4 beats?

Now that sounds more like what i should be aiming for just now lol.

I think i have good rhythm so i don't think i would need a metronome but i'll ask the wifes dad (he's been playing years) what he thinks.

By different strumming patterns do you just mean up and down motion in different sequences? I read on the net one of the easy songs to learn is the Gambler by Kenny Rogers. I downloaded it and immediately turned it off after about 2 seconds lol. It seems that the start of the song is in G with finger picking which is wayyyyyyyy past where i am right now.

My wife reckons i should be able to play a basic song after around 6 weeks. Does that sound like a reasonable goal?

Thanks, i'm a bit pissed off that i didn't give it a go when i was younger. Older you get, harder things are to learn. I'm guessing a kid would be running rings round me by now lol.

Not in 2 days he wouldn't ;)

Perhaps after a week though...?? :D

I know of people who've been playing for several years and IMHO they really suck. Then again I've been at it for over 20 years & I'm a bit sh*t, but I have my good days :)

Learning my first song now. I think i am jumping ahead but i want to keep my interest as i get bored easily. Targeting a song should hopefully keep me entertained.

Green Day - Good Riddance

Seems easy enough, although my ring finger is in agony after 20 mins lol.