The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are stainless steel brake caliper pistons available?

SteveC

Does anyone know if stainless steel brake caliper pistons are available (front and rear) for a UK Supra?

I'm sure I've seen them mentioned on here somewhere, but cannot find the post again - although I'm quite sure there wasn't any price mentioned, or who sells them.

I've got my calipers in bits at the moment and there's some rust on the pistons. I could just clean them up, but I suspect that they'll soon corrode again and new pistons would probably be a better solution... and stainless pistons would be better still.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, on the face of it, it looks like stainless steel caliper pistons are not available for standard UK brakes - at least going off the lack of replies here and from my enquiries elsewhere.

I've now ordered a set of 12 standard pistons from Toyota, and just for reference for anyone else doing the job, fronts are (at the time of posting) £15.76 + VAT each and rears are £12.70 + VAT each - making a total of £207.83 inc VAT.

If you speak to your local Toyota dealer nicely then they'll hopefully give you a bit of discount on top of the prices mentioned above. :)

With having seen stainless caliper pistons mentioned, I thought it wise to make an enquiry before shelling out the biggest part of £200 for stock ones.

If the originals had lasted 200k miles, then I wouldn't be in this position now! Obviously the seals must have perished a little, even though they looked ok.

Hopefully the calipers will be good once cleaned up, painted and re-assembled.

It would seem that a combined kit of caliper pistons and seals is not available from Toyota, but the price for the seals alone is £36.73 + VAT for a front or a rear set (both sides), plus, of course, the prices quoted above for the pistons. Again, on the seals you may be able to get a bit of discount on those prices.

Nothing scary about machinng Ti, a lot of sub con companies shy away from the exotics. We produce sub-sea valves from hastalloy, inconel, incalloy etc with relative ease.

It's all about correct speeds and feed, tool geometry and coatings has come a long way over the years. Ti is quite a pure clean material so the spec does not alter greatly as like stainless where the spec is very wide so cutting data can alter wildly.