The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC RAM Help

DannoSupra

2 x 1GB will generally make a decent enough difference, just remember to set the paging file / virtual memory to take advantage of the upgrade.

Hard to say exactly what you have at the moment, the labels should say all you need to know, DDR or DDR2 though I would imagine, probably DDR2 if it's a fairly new system.

If you can't be arsed to take the stuff that's in there out try the crucial scan tool...

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Don't forget to defrag, clean up the drive, stop any apps that sit there doing nothing from startup and so on too though, no point adding RAM if the rest of the system if being naughty :)

it was spinning, was still on! Otherwise i'de have removed them.

I'll get them out tomorrow before turning it on

It get's defragged once every two weeks along with cleanup, it is an old PC, well few years old

judging by the amount of dust its about 3 years old?? :lol:

use a can of compressed air.... or a dry paint brush and get the dust out fella. will mean the cpu is being cooled properly then :thumbs:

There's no particular make to watch out for/not to buy etc?

Not really, not at the lower end of the market anyway, DDR tends to be more expensive than the newer DDR2 now though.

Check the usual sources of computer parts, a lot sell generic "own brand" stuff for very cheap prices.

What spec did the crucial tool decide you have?

I have tried that Crucial site and it came up with this:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=DEAA8DFE31D926C3

Being a bit (read massively) technically challenged, I wondered whether I could get the memory upgrades from the UK (I visit in October) and if so, where would be the best place to find these so that I could get them fitted on my return.