The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BIG asteroid impact simulation!

RedM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

500km across is only big what do they call a huge one, saturn coming over to hit us

good use of floyd though

500km would be utterly gigantic.

The asteroid tht hit the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico which wiped out the dinosaurs was 'only' 10-14km across.

The only other sizable creaters are the ones in Siberia, Arizona & Antartica.

A 500km asteriod would be very unlikely to leave a creater as the entire surface of the earth would be moltern.

I'm guessing they are counting the Moon hit as one of the six as therehave only been five ELA's so far that we can tell.

A 500km asteriod would be very unlikely to leave a creater as the entire surface of the earth would be moltern.

I'm guessing they are counting the Moon hit as one of the six as therehave only been five ELA's so far that we can tell.

Wouldn't a 500km asteroid simply smash the earth into a few asteroid-esque rocks?

What's ELA's?

Where are the 5 (or 6) then?

I'm guessing Yellowstone would have been one, since it's pretty much a giant supervolcano underneath.

And the Gulf of Mexico is apparently an asteroid crater of some kind.

There's not really much point worrying about it though, it'd be instant death, I'd be more concerned about being on the outskirts of a nuclear blast or something.

I thought he meant there have been 6 extinction sized asteroids before though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELE#Major_extinction_events

The classical "Big Five" mass extinctions identified by Jack Sepkoski and David M. Raup in their 1982 paper are widely agreed upon as some of the most significant: End Ordovician, Late Devonian, End Permian, End Triassic, and End Cretaceous.[2] In addition, there is mounting evidence for two other mass extinctions of a similar scale: the current Holocene extinction event and the end-Ediacaran extinction at the start of the Phanerozoic eon.

I presume he means ELE, Extinction Level Event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELE

:thumbs: That'll make for good reading I hope this afternoon :D

Thats if this doesnt kill us first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

End of the world schedualed September 10th 2008.:run:

I quite like the idea of having a mini black hole in the corner of the office. Saves having to do any cleaning - just chuck your apple core at it and it'll disappear, hassle free!

Is it the strangelets that could turn the surface of the planet into, in essence, a star? That would be cool :cool:. Painful, but cool.

Surely one of these ELE things at the end of the Triassic would have meant there would be less/smaller dinosaurs in the Cretaceous period?

500km would be utterly gigantic.

The asteroid tht hit the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico which wiped out the dinosaurs was 'only' 10-14km across.

The only other sizable creaters are the ones in Siberia, Arizona & Antartica.

Where are the 5 (or 6) then?

Gaz was talking about asteroid strikes, and said there were 5 'hits' that we know of. I asked where they were.

The classical "Big Five" mass extinctions identified by Jack Sepkoski and David M. Raup in their 1982 paper are widely agreed upon as some of the most significant: End Ordovician, Late Devonian, End Permian, End Triassic, and End Cretaceous.[2] In addition, there is mounting evidence for two other mass extinctions of a similar scale: the current Holocene extinction event and the end-Ediacaran extinction at the start of the Phanerozoic eon.

All that says is there were 5 big ELEs, it doesn't say they were asteroids or strikes of any kind, in fact this bit:

Only the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event is associated with strong evidence of such an impact, but that impact is easily the largest for which there is strong evidence.

suggests that impacts only account for one of the five ELEs.

I don't understand why you keep posting the same link and not explaining your argument against me.