The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel pipe snapped at fuel filter

Homer

The nut that connectors to the fuel filter was completely frozen on and it looks like it's about to sheer the fuel hardpipe. Is there any way to cut the fuel pipe off further down and attach a new line to it? Or is it easier to replace the entire hardpipe? I imagine it's cost a fortune from toyota as there's a bango at the other end...

The nut that connectors to the fuel filter was completely frozen on

I found the same when I repaced my filter the for the first time.

It's apparently a common problem on some Toyota's according to the part bloke , it's over tightened and it flares out inside the filter and not allowing itself to be unscrewed.

Surprisingly it was less than £20 a couple of years ago.

Is this Dudes car? You can cut the pipe, flare the end, swage a fitting and so on, but I imagine getting the complete pipe will be alot less hassle mate

Yep, it's dudes car.

I found the same when I repaced my filter the for the first time.

It's apparently a common problem on some Toyota's according to the part bloke , it's over tightened and it flares out inside the filter and not allowing itself to be unscrewed.

Surprisingly it was less than £20 a couple of years ago.

£20! fantastic if thats all it is. It has been very overtightened so the explaination makes sense. The other side of the filter was so tight the filter collapsed in on itself when trying to undo to banjo bolt!

Thanks once again folks :)

Guest dangerousandy

My fuel pipe burst tonight :( well I'm guessing it has as I have a serious fuel leak coming from the plastic cover where the fuel and brake lines run above the diff. It is helpfully leaking onto my exhaust too....... I hate cars at times

Guest dangerousandy

BTW, the complete front to rear brake pipe from Toyota cost £38 inc VAT a few months ago - I hoping that the fuel line wont cost much more.

BTW, the complete front to rear brake pipe from Toyota cost £38 inc VAT a few months ago - I hoping that the fuel line wont cost much more.

Thats what I'm worried about, the brake line is rediculous price, the fuel line is larger and has a banjo... The little 12 inch fuel pipe to the rail was £36 +VAT from Mr T!

I was planning on going to Toyota tomorrow but only found out this evening it's a holiday tomorrow!

Guest dangerousandy
Thats what I'm worried about, the brake line is rediculous price, the fuel line is larger and has a banjo... The little 12 inch fuel pipe to the rail was £36 +VAT from Mr T!

I was planning on going to Toyota tomorrow but only found out this evening it's a holiday tomorrow!

Darryl, you are not doing my heart much good saying things like that!! I get a 10% discount at octagon Toyota - I wonder if they will do us a deal on two pipes? I'm sure its the full length pipe that has just gone on my Supra.

Good news Andy, £18 + Vat for the entire line :) The guy at Octogan said he gets one of these requested every couple of weeks.

Toyota prices are wierd sometimes!

I think I still have my original one on the garage roof if you're passing through Bristol anytime soom Darryl

I think I still have my original one on the garage roof if you're passing through Bristol anytime soom Darryl

Thanks very much Kev, but not likely to go by your way for a few weeks. Got one on order from Toyota so should arrive on Friday ready for a weekend fitting (and hopefully startup!)

The filter has a facility to put a spanner on it to stop it folding up, the nut may well have seized to the pipe, thats pretty normal which is why i always used to keep a new fuel pipe in stock, btw that filter would have been new days before i was ere re-homed!!!!![sHOCK][/sHOCK]

The filter has a facility to put a spanner on it to stop it folding up, the nut may well have seized to the pipe, thats pretty normal which is why i always used to keep a new fuel pipe in stock, btw that filter would have been new days before i was ere re-homed!!!!![sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Yep, good advice, thanks dude. Both filters looked like new, the 2nd one is safely out but the one on the original line has the flange squeezed so can't get it off. Nevermind, will get the line replaced and the filter refitted :)

Edit - yes, you're right about the spanner on the filter. I didn't have one large enough and didn't brace it which will have caused the problem. Bollocks!

Edited by Homer
fail! (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

It's not difficult. Just remove the plastic guard under the car (careful not to snap the clips), remove the fuel filter, disconnect the line at the tank and swap it out. I found it a little easier dropping the fuel tank down an inch.

• 6 months later...