The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo manifold

adi2009

I ve installed a custom T61 single turbo setup on my supra using an XSpower manifold. I ve been running it for a couple of weeks now with no problem but have just taken it off to add support braces. Is it acceptable to weld a support bracket on the manifold which has been used and been through several heat cycles??? and any suggestions on where I could weld the support braces would be great.

Thanks in advance

Adi

I ve installed a custom T61 single turbo setup on my supra using an XSpower manifold. I ve been running it for a couple of weeks now with no problem but have just taken it off to add support braces. Is it acceptable to weld a support bracket on the manifold which has been used and been through several heat cycles??? and any suggestions on where I could weld the support braces would be great.

Thanks in advance

Adi

check check and double check while you have the manifold off that there are no weld snots anywhere on the inside of these manifolds as they have caused many a turbo fin to disintegrate

Have it tig welded then you will have no spatter and a neat looking weld, you will need to find out what grade stainless the manifold is and ideally use the same grade for your braces aswell as the correct rods. I cant see you having trouble with it distorting unless your plowing loads of heat into it mainly welding the flanges will cause them to distort. I would have thought after a few runs in the car after will releave any stresses in the metal aswell

check check and double check while you have the manifold off that there are no weld snots anywhere on the inside of these manifolds as they have caused many a turbo fin to disintegrate

whoa there fella i dont use xspower but care to give some examples of the "many" turbo disintegrations

You should support the turbo and wastegate, separately, using rod ends, not brace the manifold itself. Good luck with XS power ones, you'll need it, I am sorry to say :(

Hi Chris, thanks. Would you by any chance have some pictures of installations where the turbo is supported in the way you mentioned???

Thanks

Adi

brace the flange of the turbo onto the flange for the head. those CW images dont work for our setups at all. They do it like that because of the way the turbo is suspended.

ebay manifolds are fine with some common sense precautions. Clean em up proper and brace them with some good ol' roundbar: