The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch noises?

bobapple

Hello gent hope we are all well, had a bit of a strange one today.

Now since I have owned the car I've had a rattle from the clutch when setting of in first or reversing (seems to be when you control the cars speed with clutch.) Now never worried to much but I went to a friends house today no problem. Come back out to motor and start it up and it has gained a weird rattle (not moved still in car park space). So I get on me knees to asses where the noise is coming from, hear its around the gearbox area, so rev it up a bit and it still rattles, push the clutch in and stops, move the car forward a touch rattle starts again push in the clutch stops and after that it didnt do it again. Though the original rattle now seems a little louder !??!?. Now am I going mad paranoid or is something a miss?

To be honest I hope I am going mad (drugs are cheaper and I can fix myself :p) but in all honesty I think something may be getting old and tired (like me). Anyone who can shed some light on my little problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Bunch

Bob

Not got it sorted yet. going to get it listenend to at wigan show tomor, then can decide on best cause of action. If it is bearing will just do clutch and flywheel at same time, And with me setting up business as a garage I will under take the work myself.

Will keep you posted as to what it is.

Dann

Thanks Dann that would be a massive help, and I possibly might be your first customer lol. Cheers again and have fun at the show.

John D if so how much are they? is it a expensive job, I can only do very basic work on my car as I dont have the facilities to drop gearboxes etc:(.

Edited by bobapple (see edit history)

Sorry for the hijack but i get the same damn thing! When my supe went in for repairs for worn scynchro's, it came out with a rattling noise -

sounds like it's coming from the gearbox but no-one can work out where it's coming from...

The rattle happens in idle and is worse when the gearbox/clutch is warm and as soon as i put my foot 3/4 of the way doen on the clutch pedal,

hey presto, the noise is gone!

Any ideas anyone?? :search:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alan Waldram
Sorry for the hijack but i get the same damn thing! When my supe went in for repairs for worn scynchro's, it came out with a rattling noise -

sounds like it's coming from the gearbox but no-one can work out where it's coming from...

The rattle happens in idle and is worse when the gearbox/clutch is warm and as soon as i put my foot 3/4 of the way doen on the clutch pedal,

Mine does the same had the clutch and thrust bearing done but still does it, the guy at the garage said it could be the spigot rod in the gear box can anyone shed any light :(

• 1 year later...

Could be input and/or output shaft bearings on the gearbox. ? The drive shaft spins when clutch is up. If the bearings are nacked this could be the problem.