The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing decals from bodywork?

Homer

Any tips on this please folks... There are some very old crusty decals on the car doors which I cannot remove. They are not vinyl, they seem to have a very tough plastic surface which nothing can get through.

I've had a search of some old threads and tried the following:

- Hairdrier (worked on the normalk Vinyl ones)

- Petrol

- Spirits

- Sandpaper (!)

- scraping

The only thing thats worked in by scraping them off a mm at a time, but it's scratching the paint and will take days at this rate!

Autosmart Tardis should do the trick:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-clean.html

Sadly only comes in big 5L containers (AFAIK) but it's handy for all kinds of other cleaning tasks later or you could split it down into 1L bottles and sell them off, it's great stuff.

Your main issue will be getting the product onto the adhesive rather than the outside of the sticker, I guess you could run a sharp blade over the stickers to create some areas for the product to get under but be careful not to go too deep.

If all else fails set it on fire :)

What would be the best way to apply the fire and in what form? Flame thrower or match? I think it's important to elaborate in case Homer gets your suggestion wrong and sues you for damages.

Hmm, good point Pete. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't thinking of anything extreme, soak sticker in petrol and light using either a flame thrower or TNT... u know... the usual.

Thanks for the advice gents :)

Tried it with some boiling water after seeing the first replies, that worked slightly better than the hair drier, but the hard surface is only coming off slightly easier (about 2mm at a time instead of 1mm :D )

Fire

Funily enough after the petrol attempt failed I lit it to see what what happen. It lit up nicely, but didn't help the stickers come off :D (My neighbour said she was getting a concerned after seeing me with a petrol can and a lighter walking towards the car!)

http://www.ptsgrafix.com/sign_removal.asp

It appears 3M also do special abrasive discs for removing decals, I found a US site, no doubt body shop supply houses in the UK can get these too.

http://site.mawebcenters.com/signsplusbanners/catalog_i2615963.html?catId=174285

Ahah, thanks Chris, that sounds a little more like it. I really need something that will disolve the hard outer surface, but it seems that most stuff strong enough to do that will also disolve the paint!

The razor blade technique in the last link is something I've not tried yet so will give that a go one I buy some blades.

The residue thats left is not an issue, it's getting the hardened outer layer off thats causing all the problems

Guest CoolsBlue
My neighbour said she was getting a concerned after seeing me with a petrol can and a lighter walking towards the car!)

Id of told her to mind he own business or she'd be next

:D

If it was on glass you just spray the sticker with water and scrape it off with a scraper, or a stanley blade in a pair of pliers. We have a special surface cleaner at work, or like i said before some ethyl alcohol, and if that doesnt shift it you just have a quick swig and you dont care any more lol

Funily enough after the petrol attempt failed I lit it to see what what happen. It lit up nicely, but didn't help the stickers come off :D (My neighbour said she was getting a concerned after seeing me with a petrol can and a lighter walking towards the car!)

LMFAO :thumbs: