The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rattle sound

Dann

when car is in neutral and clutch is out i have a rattle sound as soon as clutch is pushed in it shuts up. Dont get rattle sound when clutch is out and car is in gear either well i dont hear it any way.

What can it be ?

Hope it nothing major as i need the car and defo for jae

Many thanks for your thoughts on this

Dann

ok so 2 say thrust bearing.

Next questions are. Is the car still ok to drive?

Were do i get a new one?

how hard of a job is it to fix ?

Any other things that need doing while sorting this to help future life.

sorry for all questions

many thanks

Dann

is it possible to get someone to have a listen around under the car when its rattling , I'm thinking it may be heat shield on the first cat ..... now i know this sounds daft but have a look as this was my problem . But then mines Auto .

If the sound is related to the clutch pedal being pressed, it's almost certainly the clutch release bearing.

Read the the first post wrong, if it rattles in neutral and the rattle goes away when you press the clutch pedal, then it could well be that the car is fitted with an aftermarket flywheel.

Has it just started making the noise or has it always rattled?

its only just started to make the sound after a sprited drive down the a34 and back. Now the clutch has gone a we bit softer and there is a rattle in neutral. The car has no cats and its a N/A. Not sure on if the clutch is uprated I think it might be as it was a stiff clutch and always wanting to be realeased. it does have a cusco lsd on it too.

I am coming to the wigan meet on sunday be great if someone could have a listen.

Many thanks

Dann

how about when you let the clutch in and move off. More rattle there? When I move off I usually get quite a rattle, but it has done this since I got it two years ago and I have had it checked out without finding anything wrong, at least visually.

The car was 100 percent stock including 16" j-spec wheels, so I'm fairly confident I dont have anything out of stock in the driveline.

Could this be the same thing (even though I'm TT and 6 spd) and does anyone have any thougts?

It could be what happened to mine, which is where the flywheel had managed to rattle the bolts loose (don't know how) but if it is this then I wouldn't recommend driving it because if the bolts do come off and the flywheel comes off then it will more than likely write the car off and possibly do alot of injury to yourself as the one time I saw it happen, the flywheel came off, it then ripped through the gearbox casing and through the bodywork and then into the passenger side footwell :blink:.

Surely if it was the thrust bearing it would be a squeak rather than a rattle?