The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra pushing out loads of white smoke from exhaust !!!

lui

Sorry to hear this Lui But by the sound of it Your egt probe is in one of the turbo's in the manifold And the tip of it has broken off the been blown through the turbo !

Hence No EGT reading and lots of smoke as it's Killed the turbo With the tip of the egt probe tip going through it .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this Lui But by the sound of it Your egt probe is in one of the turbo's in the manifold And the tip of it has broken off the been blown through the turbo !

Hence No EGT reading and lots of smoke as it's Killed the turbo With the tip of the egt probe tip going through it .

My money is on that^

Sorry Matt don't think the sensor tip going through the exhaust turbine (metal) is going to kill the seals, make a bit of a mess of the turbine yes but not necessarily the seal.

Sorry Matt don't think the sensor tip going through the exhaust turbine (metal) is going to kill the seals, make a bit of a mess of the turbine yes but not necessarily the seal.

It will if it got jammed the turbine or bent the shaft :D.

Lui first thing to CHECK will be EGT probe ;)

You say it takes a minute or so for the smoke to appear from start up? Sounds like a turbo prob to me. When mine went I didnt have oil in the compressor side, just leaking past the turbine oil seal. Also as everyone else said it sounds really rough, the plugs will tell you something when you pull them. What is the engine oil level?

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

If the turbo vanes are damaged, it'll be hugely unbalanced. Even a 'low' turbo speed is thousands of RPM so it'll oscillate and oval out the seals in short order, causing them to leak.

Check plugs, check the first turbo as described already, physically unplug the WI hose from the throttle body. See what that lot gives you.

I hope it's something simple and cheap to fix.

-Ian

...........it'll oscillate and oval out the seals in short order, causing them to leak.

Christ - I typed a long post and lost it all and can't be arsed to type it again........I hate it when that happens!

The basics of it were on radial bearing clearances and how wear/misalignment would have to occur there first before any seals get subjected to whirling shaft dynamics beyond what they are designed for.

Christ - I typed a long post and lost it all and can't be arsed to type it again........I hate it when that happens!

The basics of it were on radial bearing clearances and how wear/misalignment would have to occur there first before any seals get subjected to whirling shaft dynamics beyond what they are designed for.

I got the explanation off Turbo Dynamics :shrug:

-Ian

bad news!!

I had the same problem - although I paid the price for buying hybrids second hand ("only 1,000 miles on them guv, honest, Ive got the receipt" - which he then couldnt find when I had driven 100miles to collect them). I developed a massive smokey problem although they would only smoke at idle not under load - but the smoke was bad enough to be a danger to other traffic as no one could actually see where they were going!! It turned out to be a crack in the turbo housing. So basically I replaced the whole set up. At least your are still under warranty - would that include the considerable labour cost or replacing them? I think you should argue it should.

cheers

P

Any news Lui ?

Not done any minor checks my self yet as not had time but might look next week, but now all booked in with James at Toyota Gt for Wednesday 3rd September to get all sorted out & I reckon No1 fault being my newly fitted with only 7000 miles on Envy Stage 3 Hybrid turbo's but will have to wait & see good job there still under warranty with Gaz at Envy.

Just ashame if is turbo's as these are not cheap & with all perfect mods done to match did not think this would cause me problems at such low mileage with a full re-build & all mapped by Ian C for perfect set up.

Edited by lui (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Mega low loader all booked in again now & down within the hour to be dropped off to ToyotaGT in good hands of James there to be fully diagnosed & get all sorted.

I will be following it down there to make sure it has there perfect journey with no marks appearing while taking it off :eyebrows:

Hopefully nothing to major & will be all put right very soon :):):)

Did not unfourntunalty have time to do minor checks myself but Toyota GT will do all necessary checks needed to be carried out.

Edited by lui (see edit history)

Have to say looks a lot like my SX when the turbo blew it's oil seals. The fact you have no EGT reading ties up with the probe breaking off, going through the turbo and causing it to be unbalanced which then leads to vanes touching the housing (mine was practically hanging off the shaft to one side) and the seals leaking - that gives the Batmobile mobile smokescreen effect!

The worry here is always whether there's engine damage as a result - get a compression test done whilst it's at Toyota GT.

Cheers,

Brian.

cheers bud hopefully nothing to bad still waiting for relay should be within the hour then it's off to hospital to get sorted ;)

It just goes to show that you can do everything right, spare no expense, get what could be termed as a very safe and protected build and still have a patch of bad luck.

I'm sure you'll agree that the worst part is all the hassle of getting it sorted afterwards, taking it to garages, fault finding etc. Painful!

It just goes to show that you can do everything right, spare no expense, get what could be termed as a very safe and protected build and still have a patch of bad luck.

I'm sure you'll agree that the worst part is all the hassle of getting it sorted afterwards, taking it to garages, fault finding etc. Painful!

Still putting my money on to do something with turbo side of things & hopefully not damaged anything else