The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra pushing out loads of white smoke from exhaust !!!

lui

Bad day for me yesterday.

Had to get my supra relayed back from Birmingham last night :(

Trip up to Birmingham all fine just like any other day driving,

then when pulled of exit junction & stopped at lights on roundabout loads of white smoke started coming out of exhaust :(:(:(

Pulled into lay by & started looking into it noticed straight away AFR's dropped right down to 10's slow know it's was over fuelling + strong smell of fuel / EGT's on gauge did not measure any sort of temp's while making way to lay by.

Let car fully cooled down which took ages then checked coolant level on rad all fine + looked at oil level all fine + under oil filler cap all seemed OK.

As most of you already know not long had full re-build down to my car by Mark & Phoenix with brand new Envy stage 3 Hybrid's fitted with all mod's to match.

But now Mark has unforntunatly emigrated to Oz so no longer can get hold of him to check things out :( full spec's in my Signature.

As far as white smoke I think it's water of some sort related problem ???

Also have Aquamist water injection fitted & plumbed into throttle body not sure if that might of caused problem by going through a fault possible & filling water into intercooler ???

Done 7000 miles so far since build & has never missed a beat till yesterday.

Any Idea of what I should be checking for causing this problem.

Hopefully nothing to Major just want to do some simple checks to hopefully see what's happening & going on

Appreciate all your help cheers Lui

Just uploaded small vid of the smoking what do you think ??? click on link below:

Also the is great smell of fuel in car while ticking over???

My smoking Supra

Edited by lui (see edit history)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a possible head gasket issue. Did you get the bolts torque checked after a few hundred miles of running-in the rebuilt engine? Hopefully it's easy enough to remedy.

Was the smoke definitely smoke or could it have been steam (water getting into the engine). If you reckon the intercooler may have filled with water you coulkd easily pop a hose off and check. Consider disconnecting the aquamist for the time being to eliminate that?

Check for:

- water in the oil (looks like wallpaper paste when you look into the filler cap), and

- oil in the water (droplets in the top of the rad/expansion bottle)

Or it could just have been rain water that built up in the exhuast/silencers during a shower. Years back I thought my old 3 series had blown a head gasket as I'd left it for a few weeks and not driven it, the 'DTM style' (skyward-facing!) exhaust had collected water in that time and it 'smoked' for weeks till I'd clocked up a fair few hours of driving with the engine fully up to temp to burn it all off.

Possibly a prob with the Water/Meth injection?

That was my first thought too. Spoke to Lui last night about this..

He said it was driving fine for 100 or so miles that day, then when he pulled up a round about suddenly a HUGE amount of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust.

If I remember correctly Lui has the newer kit with the sureflo type pump. These kits require a one way valve so the engine doesnt suck water in on vac, maybe this has failed. Its only a guess but maybe worth a try ;)

It should be easy to disable as the WI has its own relay.

Sounds like a possible head gasket issue. Did you get the bolts torque checked after a few hundred miles of running-in the rebuilt engine? Hopefully it's easy enough to remedy.

Was the smoke definitely smoke or could it have been steam (water getting into the engine). If you reckon the intercooler may have filled with water you coulkd easily pop a hose off and check. Consider disconnecting the aquamist for the time being to eliminate that?

Check for:

- water in the oil (looks like wallpaper paste when you look into the filler cap), and

- oil in the water (droplets in the top of the rad/expansion bottle)

Had all checks fully done by Mark as when required all ok

Just checked now water fully filled as required in rad 100% ok no sings of oil + ezpansionsion tank all ok & every thing looking ok under oil cap

Possibly a prob with the Water/Meth injection?

Going to remove intercooler pipe bottom of intercooler early next week to see if any water laying there.

If I remember correctly Lui has the newer kit with the sureflo type pump. These kits require a one way valve so the engine doesnt suck water in on vac, maybe this has failed. Its only a guess but maybe worth a try ;)

It should be easy to disable as the WI has its own relay.

I have the new kit fitted with the sureflo pump with there special flow gauge in pillar pod did not reconise any water pumping when not needed.

Oh no! Not good Lui, i hope it's nothing too serious! :-(

Where are you going to be taking your supe Lui mate??

Im thinking Matt @ AFR??

Possibly spoke to Matt this morning but will be doing some simple checks first bit busy till tuesday but hopefully be doing simple checks this coming Wednesday

I have the new kit fitted with the sureflo pump with there special flow gauge in pillar pod did not reconise any water pumping when not needed.

Interesting, but would it register water being pulled in vac rather than pumped under say 3 or 4 bar :search:

That looks like oil smoke to me, not water vapour or burning anti freeze. Pull all the plugs if one or an adjacent pair are very oily....

Will check plugs middle of next week if oil smoke what do you reckon could be ???

Taking in to consideration Afr's ruuning very rich & no reading on egt gauge

That smoke is on tick over if bleeping the throttle loads come out

I am going to say the same as Chris, although i am surprised that you don't mention a smell of burnt oil as its usually very apparent, especially if its the turbo seals which is what i think it is, tell me Lui does the smoke readily disperse or does it take a while? ie linger, pull the turbo out pipe off and take a look for oil.

I very much doubt if the WI would cause this without the engine stumbling/stalling as too much water will stall it at idle.

I am going to say the same as Chris, although i am surprised that you don't mention a smell of burnt oil as its usually very apparent, especially if its the turbo seals which is what i think it is, tell me Lui does the smoke readily disperse or does it take a while? ie linger, pull the turbo out pipe off and take a look for oil.

I very much doubt if the WI would cause this without the engine stumbling/stalling as too much water will stall it at idle.

Within 1 minute of starting up it starts smoking like in vid then if bleep throttle large plumes of cloudy smoke comes out then after few seconds of calming down back to like what's in vid .

Maybe smell of oil there but loads of fuel smells.

Even two RAC vans that where parked there said when they saw me pull up both reckoned turbo problems !!!

But just need to now know how to confirm this & whats doing it ???

Plus they way it happened on minute all ok then this nothing slightly getting from worse to worse & all within halve a mile from coming of roundabout to slip rd where I pulled over

If you take the alloy elbow off the first turbo, and also the pipe that goes to the IC you should be able to see if there is any oil present, when my turbo seals failed, it was very apparent by the amount of oil around the compressor turbine and in the output tube, as even though the exhaust seals had failed, it also caused the compressor side to fail and leak, and mine was not smoking anywhere near as bad as yours.

Possibly spoke to Matt this morning but will be doing some simple checks first bit busy till tuesday but hopefully be doing simple checks this coming Wednesday

Yeh good idea, i think Matt would be the closest...

After reading everyone's posts and what you described, it unfortunetely does sound like one of the Turbo's or an issue with one of the Turbo's...

When your Supe started blowing white smoke, did you lose boost/power??

Not good mate, not good at all...

If it is a Turbo issue, 7000 miles covered and a Turbo problem?!

Should not be happening Lui mate...

When my turbo's went there was serious amounts of white smoke, after having it all sorted there was still oil present in the intercooler, which after it heating up and blasting the turbos I was getting oil burning off which produced loads of white smoke, sometimes not noticeable, but as soon as I slowed down it was plumming out like your vids.

Sorry to say it might be those, but I'm not massively technical, just seems similar to what I saw... :(