The mkiv Supra Owners Club

r/c Helicopter for less than £50?

michael

My dad has got it into his head that he needs a radio controlled helicopter for his birthday, since he retired he's been a bit odd like that.

Anyway I would like to get him one by the weekend if possible and spotted this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=221207&doy=14m8

Is it likely to be utter crap?

What others should I consider on this low budget? If necessary I'll print him a picture out and he can have it later.

If anyone has one they want rid of or wants to p/x for a HPI MT with MT2 body and lots of extras then give me a shout.

I've got a honey bee CP2, 6ch.. However it came out the box, and then went a little crazy becuase i hit the wrong button. I grabbed hold of it just as it took off, and it's not been airbourne since. I've changed the main shaft, bought new servo's and a few other bits. Bought the screwdriver set, training kit, roter degree thingy and the flight sim with usb controller (i'm really goo at that) - however, can i get it airbourne.....

Can i chuff.. It just spins round on the floor.

Total flying time, less than one minute, now it's in the loft.

Total flying time, less than one minute, now it's in the loft.

Thanks for the heads up on the honey bee, looks like a nice bit of kit for the money, a bit over my budget but it looks like you can buy lots of spares for those less than perfect flights :)

I'll give you £30 for yours :D

Ed - I thought it was "tail-in" flight, not "in-tail" flight ;) lol... only messin'

Agree totally with the rest though - I've been flying for about 6 months (real) and probably around a year on sim, and still only just progressing on from tail-in - now trying it with the heli at 90 degree's to me... it's tricky!

Grounded now though with a dead Lipo battery, and no cash to get new one at mo :(

Damn this forum, just when I think I have enough hobbies, I find another one that will probably cost me a lot of money that I really want to get in to! :D

So given the option of the CP-2, King II or Belt-CP, brand new and out of the box would you guys go for the Belt-CP because of the better motors and belt drive? Have just been reading the 13-page thread on it and getting an idea. Seen some bargains on eBay that I'm quite interested in..

The independent tail motor and lack of power is the biggest issue I have with the CP2.

Thats said,.. its a great starter model.

The KingII, providing you get the motor upgrade to brushless is worth the extra money for build quality alone. The only problem is, you need to make a DIY mod to the tail assembly as the belt slips. Only needs an extra washer.

The Beltcp is alittle more unforgiving if your after your 1st helicopter.

The power is great, steady in the air but repairs are a pain and very expensive.

if its for dad keep with the conra rotating helis they are easish to fly and can almost hover themselves when trimmed up right, if you can stretch slightly over £50 id recommend the twister bell medevac, i got mine in the navy colours with optional floats set and navi lights so i can land in the pond and scare the fish, its a great heli small enough to practice inside with and stable enough for the back garden when the wind drops, everything in the one box, even spare blade for when you crash

hi, same as above really, i got the twister hawk as my first heli. very good for controlable indoor flight or calm outdoor flight. my local model shop have them on a very good deal at the moment of £69 with a spare lipo battery, i got the army one but they do a coastgaurd one too.

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/results.asp?subt=Helicopters%20(Electric)

I just bought something similar to that today! Except mine is like the old MASH choppers, is 4 channel, and cost 55 (with discount)from Ripspeed. Contra rotating blades too. Ive never flown an rc object before, but had it up and about inside 5 mins, really easy and stable to fly :)