The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Indoor Cats

caliAl

After much debating, me and the girlfriend have decided to get a Birman cat. After doing a bit of research I see most people have these as indoor cats. Is this because they are an expensive breed and could be nicked or do some breeds prefer the indoor life?

I live in a quite road with woods nearby and no major main roads, so I’m sure the cat would enjoy itself more outside then in, plus I always have back doors open and there’s not much I could do you stop the cat getting out.

I know that there are breeds where people keep them inside party because of the risk of theft but also because they are quite 'wild' so are a threat to native animals, however I don't think this applied to this type of cat?

How much are they then?

They cost anywhere between £300 - £400.

Birman's are lazy buggers anyway, but they do go out, but i will warn you they need to be groomed on a regular basis, and especially if they go out, or you will end up with a half bald cat as they can get matted and the only option is to clip them.

So would grooming be everyday type thing?

Have you had any personal experience with this breed?

A half clippered cat would be hilarious!! :D

My little (and I mean little, we got her at 3 months old and she looked like she was 4 weeks) street cat was kept indoors only, as she had feline luekemia :(. Would whine a bit in the summer, but would make her fun! She would mental for an hour a day running round the house, up the stairs, etc.

You could always take the cat for a walk on the leash...

Our Siamese is an indoor cat. Well he does have a wander round the garden on occasion but only if we're both watching him, they don't stray far though.

For us it's mainly due to the area we live in he'd likely get nicked, but they also not known for their road sense.

Guest Sweetpea

OK, I am a breeder of Birmans so may be I can answer some of the questions.

Birmans are well suited to an indoor life though I know of some that go out. However, like any cat they will bring in the local wildlife as a present. One that I homed brought home baby rabbits.

It they are allowed out they will require more grooming as they will no doubt pick up bits and pieces of undergrowth and if they get caught in the rain, they would be liable to matt. If kept indoors, they are an easy breed to look after and you could probably groom them every 2/3 days to keep the amount of fur down. If you don't groom them very often then they will shed a lot of fur around the house for you to clear up anyway.

Someone suggested Ragdolls and I can tell you that all the above applies to them as well. Both breeds are very easy to live with.

Sweetpea

What the differences between a ragdoll and birman?

It would be great if I could just let the cat roam the back garden (which is fully enclosed with 6 foot fences) while I'm also outside also, but if my old cat is anything to go by, as soon as I opened the back door the cat was gone for hours on end.

OK, I am a breeder of Birmans so may be I can answer some of the questions.

Birmans are well suited to an indoor life though I know of some that go out. However, like any cat they will bring in the local wildlife as a present. One that I homed brought home baby rabbits.

It they are allowed out they will require more grooming as they will no doubt pick up bits and pieces of undergrowth and if they get caught in the rain, they would be liable to matt. If kept indoors, they are an easy breed to look after and you could probably groom them every 2/3 days to keep the amount of fur down. If you don't groom them very often then they will shed a lot of fur around the house for you to clear up anyway.

Someone suggested Ragdolls and I can tell you that all the above applies to them as well. Both breeds are very easy to live with.

Sweetpea

Do you have any for sale?