The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting Bored!

Tricky-Ricky

Is your existing turbo "alright"? I remember an odd post or two where you mentioned it had a very high boost threshold and the car seemed very laggy compared to TTC. Have you been out for a ride with anyone else with the same turbo?

What about just a decrease in A/R on the hot side, what do you have right now?

Is your existing turbo "alright"? I remember an odd post or two where you mentioned it had a very high boost threshold and the car seemed very laggy compared to TTC. Have you been out for a ride with anyone else with the same turbo?

What about just a decrease in A/R on the hot side, what do you have right now?

AFAIK the turbo is fine, and its bound to feel laggy in comparison to hybrids in TTC as they make most of there power and torque from 3200rpm in most gears regardless, the GT40 needs 4000rpm and a higher gear to show its worth, i was mislead regarding spool up as i took notice of jamiep's results, which where taken by doing 6th gear roll ons on the motorway, so any bigger turbo is going to spool quicker that way,but in real world situations its a lot slower to build boost, i will change the WG spring to see if that helps a little with the boost settings, the exhaust housing A/R is the smaller of the two available.

As i said, maybe I'm just hard to please:) a couple of people have commented that the new turbo is a lot more progressive than my old hybrids, they have been described as like being punched in the chest.

I have not but I have another question...have you ever had your car on the rollers in its latest state of tune? It would be interesting to see it on the SRR.....it might show up some of the 4088 deficiencies in the low rpms and be a good tempter for a GT35R ot a T61 :)

Further to this, has anyone else actually owned an Evo or Scooby, and what is there opinion in comparison to a single Supra?

I had an evo for 6 months, says it all really. They are almost the perfect car to start off with when going for power as its like riding a bike with stabalisers on. Once you are ready for the stabalisers to come off you go with RWD.

If you want the true grit of the Evo's you have to go for a V or a IV. If you want to go for the, in my opinion, poncey version get a VII>. I feel they lost their way after the VI.

We run a Legacy B4 RSK as a daily car ... 300bhp and as much speed/handling as you would want for a daily drive... can't fault it and being a 4wd its great in the wet ... much faster than my VVTi (around the corners) ... it feels really light to drive... the twin turbos spool up really well (as long as you avoid the VOD at 4.5k).

You can get one for £4-5k and keep the Supe :)

We run a Legacy B4 RSK as a daily car ... 300bhp and as much speed/handling as you would want for a daily drive... can't fault it and being a 4wd its great in the wet ... much faster than my VVTi (around the corners) ... it feels really light to drive... the twin turbos spool up really well (as long as you avoid the VOD at 4.5k).

Thats with you driving though mate, its the same with myself. I just don't have the bottle or expertise to drive the supra on the edge. There is a youtube video floating around the forum where a very skilled driver in a Supra beats a not quite as good but very skilled driver in an evo, along with other cars. Its a good race and it shows how good the supra can be. Takes some nerve though :D

Grip is all about the tyres and the suspension, the difference with the 4wd vs 2wd is that the power to the wheels is balanced on a corner thanks to the ECU's and fancy yaw control stuff, experienced drivers do this in RWD cars with the throttle rather than a computer ;)

Thats with you driving though mate, its the same with myself. I just don't have the bottle or expertise to drive the supra on the edge. There is a youtube video floating around the forum where a very skilled driver in a Supra beats a not quite as good but very skilled driver in an evo, along with other cars. Its a good race and it shows how good the supra can be. Takes some nerve though :D

Grip is all about the tyres and the suspension, the difference with the 4wd vs 2wd is that the power to the wheels is balanced on a corner thanks to the ECU's and fancy yaw control stuff, experienced drivers do this in RWD cars with the throttle rather than a computer ;)

Think you misred my comment ... I mean that the Legacy is faster around the corners in the WET ... the Supra just slides sideways due to the extra weight it carries ... they are both running on Potenza's ... but the lighter Legacy just needs less mechanical grip so its quicker. No driver skill involved ... (esp as I dont have any :( )

Think you misred my comment ... I mean that the Legacy is faster around the corners in the WET ... the Supra just slides sideways due to the extra weight it carries ... they are both running on Potenza's ... but the lighter Legacy just needs less mechanical grip so its quicker. No driver skill involved ... (esp as I dont have any :( )

Have a search for the video, i didn't missread ;)

Is this the Orido Supra vs evo vs RX7 Vid?

As Scotster says, RWD can handle better in the wet, and more so if both cars are big power, the Subaru, suspension dependent should understear and it has bigger drivetrain losses, so would need more power to keep up(more so in the dry)

But the theory above can probably never be proven with two specific cars with two drivers side by side as there are too many variables

Tricky-Ricky, I can understand how you feel - have a friend thats went through the same sh*t but on a slightly higher scale, there come a point when you just dont want to spend anymore on the car, or even commit more time and effort

But the difference between a good map and more responsive setup is immense - it really is like two cars, if you forget the depreciation factor you could have a car that you never want to give up

I have mixed opinions of Evo's, driven in some good and bad, but theres no denying their absolutely insane on the street, especially midly tuned ones(dare I say bpu?;)) as I get more mature you have to question though does it have a place on the street - they can be slightly boring in acceleration with the lesser torque, but high speed cornering it comes into its own - on a track its much a muchness though

Is this the Orido Supra vs evo vs RX7 Vid?

As Scotster says, RWD can handle better in the wet, and more so if both cars are big power, the Subaru, suspension dependent should understear and it has bigger drivetrain losses, so would need more power to keep up(more so in the dry)

But the theory above can probably never be proven with two specific cars with two drivers side by side as there are too many variables

I have to disagree with the comment about AWD vs RWD in the wet. I have seen the video and the supra driver seemed to be leagues above the others.

In South Africa, there was a road car race serious, and there was one WRX (2001 model) running. They struggled for ages to set it up in the dry, never really got it right and the car was never really competitive with all the BMW RWDs. However on the one day that it rained, the WRX was untouchable!!

I have to disagree with the comment about AWD vs RWD in the wet. I have seen the video and the supra driver seemed to be leagues above the others.

Thats the point, he wasn't they were all JGTC drivers at some point, again it depends on the car, there could have been a better setup(for the rain) 4WD that could have wiped the floor with all of them, but it just goes to show that 4WD for all its technical advance is not the 'set in stone' winner

Thats the point, he wasn't they were all JGTC drivers at some point, again it depends on the car, there could have been a better setup(for the rain) 4WD that could have wiped the floor with all of them, but it just goes to show that 4WD for all its technical advance is not the 'set in stone' winner

Now that I can agree with... Its not set in stone!

However AWD can help and inspire your "not so good" drivers, who run out of talent before they run out of car.

Now that I can agree with... Its not set in stone!

However AWD can help and inspire your "not so good" drivers, who run out of talent before they run out of car.

Not sure. With a novice in the wet I think it's more likely the AWD will understeer off whereas the RWD car will just spin in circles. The AWD one will be quicker until it hits a wall.

Not sure. With a novice in the wet I think it's more likely the AWD will understeer off whereas the RWD car will just spin in circles. The AWD one will be quicker until it hits a wall.

AWD understeering is a "stock" setup. Understeer is supposed to be safer for normal everyday drivers. That is why scooby sets there cars up that way.

Change the sway bars and you have an oversteering impreza.

Speed does not kill, its the sudden stop
:D

Im quite interested by these Legacy B4 RSKs :)

I think I'd really like one, but a few people have told me they have slightly suspect build quality. Has yours been OK as a daily runner?

With a novice the AWD will win in most circumstances. Thats my point though. RWD is fastest, just look at F1 ;)

You can turn in more with RWD thanks to oversteer if the car is setup properly.

Im quite interested by these Legacy B4 RSKs :)

I think I'd really like one, but a few people have told me they have slightly suspect build quality. Has yours been OK as a daily runner?

Absolutely 100%, can't fault it really. We use it for our daily trip to the office and just about everything else tbh. I think (and could be wrong) that the engine was put in the RSK before it was put into the Impreza STI ... ours is a 99 V reg with about 100,000km on the clock. Averages about 25mpg for normal driving, until you use the second tubbie, then its down to about 10-15.

They are pretty rare in the uk, but you can find them .. I did about 3 on PistonHeads. Lookout for the fresh imports as they have a type report so get through the SVA test ok.

They dont have the image of the Impreza, but do have similar speed (0-60 is about 6.0) and handling (a little heavier and maybe slightly longer wheelbase).

We paid £6.5k for ours from a dealer as it was a new import and black, but you can get them for around £4.5k.

Lookout for one that was registered before 2001 to avoid the dreaded tax hikes...