The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disgusting amount spent on the Olympics opening ceremony.

RedM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20b is cheap:) I bet china saved up lots of money by not going to war at other peoples turf. I am not pro china as I am from hk but I do admire their love for their country. Things must cost less because they don't have rules like human rights over there. Over there is country as a unit comes first and if u don't like it tuff.

Regarding what happened at t sq many years ago I still don't understand what is wrong with those students. They know very well the army takes no bulls### and they still let the tank run over them. I watch in hk with my jaw dropped not because of the wrong of Chinese goverment but the stupid students getting themself killed. That billionaire daughter should get spanked for five years straight instead of deported, nothing better to do than causing trouble at other people turf just like bush.

Sorry for a bit of txt talk as I am typing from my iPhone in bed.

I wasn't thinking of the death penalty when I mentioned killing their own people. I was thinking of Tiananmen Square.

What about enforced abortions too? I guess as long as you think the people over their have more freedoms than us because they can overfill their bins then there's nothing to worry about, is there?

Well Tianamen square is indeed a dark part of China's history. But again just to compare to our own country, what about things like the Iraq wars? Our own countries' willingnes to send troops to their death in a quest for OIL.

Both western countries and China have both done things in the past which are very questionable.... I don't think it is fair to judge a country on just a few things knowing that our own western countries do not have a perfect history.

Enforced abortions is a very direct and effective way to curb the rise in population. Their government could allow one of two options .... (1) allow people to have as many sprogs as they want... thus creating a massive damand on food, space, energy etc. etc. Resulting in mass poverty, hunger and probably crime.

or (2) restrict the numbers of sprogs in a way that allows each mother the right to have one child and allowing that child to have the full attention of their parents.

Global population is a VERY big problem for the planet... at least China's government is acting on it.

The western G8 countries always shy away from the population debate because of religious reasons..... and if they continue to do so then the quote from the Matrix film will be very true. "The human race is like a virus, multiplying and consuming everything until there is nothing left" :)

Enforced abortions when you have already have 2 kids already in China that should not be a surprise as it is by law and everyone is well educated on that topic. I would love to have more then 2 kids but if I am in China I will not have that choice but then I did not work extra hard to come over here to stay for nothing. Saying that, I hate seeing families on benefit pumping out babies from age of 13 living on my hard earn taxes...

My sister have a few fashion outlet in the UK and the sources of her clothing line is factories in China. You need to know how business are run in China in order to get what you want on time. People in China work many times harder then factory in Europe, let it be work ethic or lack of human rights. Money payment is whats drive their deadline so know whats squeeze them will get your stuff deliver on time. Law suits don't mean much to them, withheld payment or cut future deals thats hurts them.

I really hope GB can do a better Game then China, I won't put much hope in our opening ceremony but I do hope we will have the best equipment and order in place.

"You need to know how business are run in China in order to get what you want on time"

The Chinese have a very strong sense of honour and they often meet an agreement by compromising on other issues. In their eyes they honoured the agreement!!!!!! There can be a lot of conflict in this attitude especially as our UK domestic standards are apparently so much higher. I say apparently because once you have a factory that understands the UK in the same way the UK understands ROC it all settles down and can be very good.

"You need to know how business are run in China in order to get what you want on time"

The Chinese have a very strong sense of honour and they often meet an agreement by compromising on other issues. In their eyes they honoured the agreement!!!!!! There can be a lot of conflict in this attitude especially as our UK domestic standards are apparently so much higher. I say apparently because once you have a factory that understands the UK in the same way the UK understands ROC it all settles down and can be very good.

nice one,i thought so -

it isnt possible to spend 20bn on just an opening ceremony .

Even if WE had 20bn to spend on the opening ceremony, we simply arent capable of putting up a show like that.........think its just a cause of being green with envy.... ;)

Well done China is what I say.

nice one,i thought so -

it isnt possible to spend 20bn on just an opening ceremony .

Even if WE had 20bn to spend on the opening ceremony, we simply arent capable of putting up a show like that.........think its just a cause of being green with envy.... ;)

I agree,theres no way we could ever equal that kind of opening -

it was the best ive ever seen.

Having lived and worked in China for nearly 6 years now I can say that you actually have to be here to see the real China and yes there are some bad things that simple wouldn't happen in the UK but many many more good things that do which never would with all the constrains The UK and Europe are facing and seeing the opening ceremony was absolutely amazing even if it did cost $20Bn(which I doubt) I intend to stay here a bit longer as life for me is much much better than it would if I returned home.

Just makes you wonder how much of it was faked?

Saw most of the ceromony as we recorded it and was not that impressed with a lot of it. It does make me worry though, they had 2008 drummers to open which was impressive! What are we going to do in 2012.......

2012 morris dancers, help us god:blink:

Ian

just read this and it sort of makes me think that they didnt spent all that money as reported:taped:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080811/twl-olympic-fireworks-faked-for-tv-3fd0ae9.html

I take it you didn't see the last question time before the London mayoral elections?

When questioned about the ever-inflating budget for the uK olympics, Ken Livingstone straight out admitted that it was because he had been spending the money on "other projects to regenerate London" rather than those just driven by the Olympics.

He agreed when told that he had basically duped the government out of money to spend on London. Not good when your voters are the people who have been paying all the extra taxation to pay for the "Olympics"!!!

:blink: :blink:

Well, the guy on Radio 2 who was there in person seemed rather impressed by whatever he was watching, and I'm pretty sure he said fireworks.

That article says :

Organiser said that the footprint fireworks were there for real, but thought it unsafe to try to film them - so they recreated them instead.

and 2008 synchronised drummers.. that sounds impressive to me too ;)

It all sounds pretty good to me. I would hope England would see it as futile to try to "out do" them, and not bother spending stupid amounts of our money on it when it's our turn. I read on here that we're already up to £9.something billion though, so I guess it's too late for that :(