The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disgusting amount spent on the Olympics opening ceremony.

RedM

From the BBC:

The choreographed show took seven years to plan, and costs are estimated to have hit a record-breaking $40bn (£20bn).

£20bn! :blink:

Twenty million or two hundred million would have been bad enough but twenty BILLION. That's disgusting. That kind of money could do some real good but no, they've spent it on three hours of shite.

I'm now even more determined not to watch a single second of the games.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that this government will be determined to outdo these games in 4 years, even if they succeed only in spending more. That'll probably classify as a success in their eyes :rolleyes:

Another reason to add to the long list to get shot of them then :eyebrows:

I'm dreading it when 2012 comes around, we won't even be able to open our eyes without seeing some form of Olympic propoganda, it's bad enough every 4 years when it'd not held here...

Saying that though, I'm sure it's as bad for people who hate football when the World Cup comes around, with people liking different sports and so on...

I bet the 4 greeks who sat around bored one summer and decided to have a little "who could throw the javlin the furthest" contest are now real impressed lol. Is it just me who thinks the olympics is not really the olympics anymore but just a collection of track & field with random sports thrown in?

I bet the 4 greeks who sat around bored one summer and decided to have a little "who could throw the javlin the furthest" contest are now real impressed lol. Is it just me who thinks the olympics is not really the olympics anymore but just a collection of track & field with random sports thrown in?

Wouldnt know as I have never bothered to watch it.

If they introduced some motorsport I might be interested :D

The opening was painfully boring.... hours of people walking slowly round a track, someone speaking in chinese, some fire (which was cool enough)

The BBC just used it as an excuse to point out which countries china had good/bad/indifferent relationships with, which at this point had absolutely sweet FA to do with the games, so a cheap shot. "and heres Zimbabwe, who china supply arms to" - what has that got to do with Athletics?!

Absolutely hats off to the Chinese - they Rock when it comes to Olympic ceremonies! Let's face it - 2012... we'll be hard pressed if we can afford to float a duck on a pond with a sparkler up its a$$ in comparison to that! (I bet we will have spent a shed load more than 20Bn by the time we get there... +VAT lol - and it will be nowhere near as cool!).

And just think £20bn goes a helluva lot further in China than it does here!! (and yes 20Bill was supposed to be the relocating of the people displaced by the stadium building + surrounding support infrastructure, increased security [the whole shebang] as far as has been reported) Granted, what a perceived waste of cash - but it's their cash, they wanted a showcase to try and make the world sit up and think differently about them, I think they have done a sterling job of trying to mend international relations and at least on the surface of things a lot of political woes have been at least improved/put on back burners.

In the spirit of trying to live up to our much maligned and misunderstood Chinese brethren I have made a slight redesign of the 2012 London Olympic logo:

http://istslice.co.uk/pics/logofail.jpg

That's a good start at least ;)

Absolutely hats off to the Chinese - they Rock when it comes to Olympic ceremonies! Let's face it - 2012... we'll be hard pressed if we can afford to float a duck on a pond with a sparkler up its a$$ in comparison to that! (I bet we will have spent a shed load more than 20Bn by the time we get there... +VAT lol - and it will be nowhere near as cool!).

And just think £20bn goes a helluva lot further in China than it does here!! (and yes 20Bill was supposed to be the relocating of the people displaced by the stadium building + surrounding support infrastructure, increased security [the whole shebang] as far as has been reported) Granted, what a perceived waste of cash - but it's their cash, they wanted a showcase to try and make the world sit up and think differently about them, I think they have done a sterling job of trying to mend international relations and at least on the surface of things a lot of political woes have been at least improved/put on back burners.

In the spirit of trying to live up to our much maligned and misunderstood Chinese brethren I have made a slight redesign of the 2012 London Olympic logo:

http://istslice.co.uk/pics/logofail.jpg

That's a good start at least ;)

So true bud. :D Immenent fail incoming.

we will go back to basics to catch other competitors out,and its cheap to run.

Egg and spoon race

Three legged race

sack race

long jump in the local park if we have any parks left.

No diving competition as all the boards have been taken out due to health and safety from the local pools.:uk:

From the BBC:

The choreographed show took seven years to plan, and costs are estimated to have hit a record-breaking $40bn (£20bn).

£20bn! :blink:

im sure theres gotta be some kind of typo there Redm,

i doubt they actualy spent £20Bn (pounds) on the opening,in fact i would say its not possible to spend that in 3 hours on just the opening of the games.