The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying an Evo

The Hornet

Got a friend who is looking to spend approx. £6000-6500 on an Evo, despite my efforts to persuide otherwise he really wants one.

Any one know of places to look as not to get ripped off, dont think he cares which model it is, just the best buy for the money etc etc.

Cheers,

Hornet

Ive got access to an Evo 5. Its an excellent drive. Totally different to the Supra (Obviously!!)

Why is it that your friend wants an Evo? And if he is wanting one as someone said above it would be an early one so although it will be ok, nothing special really. If he wants an Evo he really wants a 5 or 6 with the AYC. Many believe these to be the superior EVOs. But a decent one of these starts at around a 10k buy in!

For the money he has got, he would be much better putting it into a Subaru Impreza if he is looking for that type of car. Much more car for that kind of money, and cheaper to maintain. The type RA is also very quick which would be in that price range. I know they are much more common, but if hes on a budget I feel that would be the way for him to go.

If he doesnt want a Supra, why not try and talk him into a MR2 Turbo. thats always a good place to start.

Just my 2p!

J4CK50N

He's is a idiot in my opinion, but he is my missis best friend's bloke. I don't really like the guy TBH but I suppose I have to be seen to be helping :(

I would agree with going for a scooby for the money he has, but I dont know why he wants an Evo for that money... Thanks for input peep's and links, will pass it on as I don't want to take any responsibility :D

Missus best friends bloke - is that the one that you have to go out with when you dont want to?

If so I know it well from my Ex. Luckily all my current girlfriends mates and their boyfriends are sound!! Phew

I feel for you mate!!! Tell him the next big thing is Corsa's with bonnet scoops!!!

For 6.5K your mate could buy a cracking ST205 celica GT4, much better looking than the earlier Evo's and with a few choice mods will easily push out 300BHP. I used to have one and loved it :D

I also took an Evo VI for a test drive before i bought the Supra was a really quick car but i felt too high up in it, felt like i was driving a bus :eyebrows:

For 6.5K your mate could buy a cracking ST205 celica GT4, much better looking than the earlier Evo's and with a few choice mods will easily push out 300BHP. I used to have one and loved it :D

Thats what I'd be recommending too - or the MR2 Turbo as stated before.

Gaz.

Guest Ryangordon86

Ever thought about going down the salvage route? My mate bought an Evo 6 with a big back end smash for 6k, and it cost him another 2k to put it back on the road in evo 8 yellow as well, mind you, it always help to know someone with a bodyshop :p

I have had an Evo 5 GSR and an Evo 6 GSR, both of which were absolutely fantastic phenomenal cars. The pickup on them between changes is blistering, no turbo lag whatsoever and they pull and pull. I would have another Evo 6 in a shot if i wanted to go that route again.

Anything before an Evo 4 is far too dated and not worth getting in my opinion.

Awesome cars after the 4 though.

Michael :thumbs:

Brother has just bought a GT4(ST205) i did try and push him towards and evo 3 or 4 but he was having non of it. Though the GT4 is the better looking and doesn't date as quick as the evo i found the handling and the performance of the evo to be better.

And who is there so much more room in the celica than a supra you can actually get an adult in the back with room to spare

Hmmm, an adult in the back of the GT4 ? I've had one and the Newer T Sport - I would agree that the the GT4 had more room than the newer ones but an adult...? Leg room aint too bad I suppose but you bang your head easily :D

The Supra is sh*t for rear seating, but do we care? NOT me :D

Hey I take 2 adults in the back of my Supra regularly. And before you say anything they are not midgets!!!

My mate had a GT4 and I personally did not like it. Thought its handling was very poor compared to my Impreza Type R and Evo 5. It seems to understeer like mad. Saying this, they are a lot a car for the money and are doing peanuts at the moment, and I am comparing it to much higher speced cars

My mate sold his for £4.5k and it was mint, loaded with extras, in black looking the mutt nutts.

Still think though that a nice MR2 turbo T-bar is the way forward especially with the winter coming up.

Saying that, if he can strech to £10.5k I'll sell him my Evo 5 with a 12 month MOT, Brand new Magnex Cat Back exhaust and brand new Pads (Front and Back) and Discs (Back). IT is now surplus to requirements and taking up space.

PS When I say mine i mean one of my dads cars, but due to other reasons he is using his BMW estate so the EVO just sits there tempting me!!!

Cheers RedSZ will pass that on.

He cant stretch to that JA4K5ON unfortunately.

Just curious though, how do you manage to get to adults in the rear of the Supra if they are not midgets... Are you and the front passenger midgets? hehe j/k but seriously how..?