The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the Samsung i8510 an Nokia N96 killer?

michael

I thought O2 weren't getting any of the new N series phones because they want to push the iPhone and retain their status as sole supplier?

The N85 is supposed to ship sometime this month but if you want to stay with O2 you'll probably need to use Carphone Warehouse for the upgrade.

I don't know, she didn't mention anything about that, just said I could always try again in a couple of weeks.

Carphone warehouse don't even have it on their "Coming Soon" list yet, the N96 was on there for months.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well quick update, after using both the N95 8gb and the iphone 3g this week, i'm 100% set on keeping the iphone, it's absolutely brilliant, the only thing that is better on the N95 is the camera quality but that doesn't bother me. Anyway the GPS on the N95 is absolute rubbish it barely works and even when it says it has a satalite signal it struggles to find you, whereas the GPS is stunning on the iphone it finds you and can guide you anywhere instantly, the Apps feature on the iphone is brilliant I now have a program called 'rev lite' which you can plug into an OBD2 ecu port and it tells you everything it also has the motion sensors and can show you maximum g's etc etc.

All in all I really struggle to fault the iphone 3g, it truly is brilliant, the one and only thing that bugs me on it though is that if someone sends you a picture message (MMS) then you have to go online to retreive it.

Anyway I would give the N95 8gb a 6/10 and the iphone a 9.5/10

Anyway I would give the N95 8gb a 6/10 and the iphone a 9.5/10

For me I ahve had both too. I would say the N95 is a 9/10 and iPhone 5/10.

The N95 has poor battery life and a few other (sortable) niggles.

The iPhone has poor camera, poor phone functions (cannot even send or receive mms) and very very poor battery life. Other than that I 100% agree there is not much out there that beats it.

Guest Nicholas

I've just received an Iphone 3G 8GB as my free upgrade and was selling it on here but having decided to open it and gawp at the sleek lines I'll be keeping it now to replace my N95.

The only downside I can find aside from the crappy camera is that it looks that good I don't want to touch it :taped: in regards to the N95 I also foudn after two faulty phones the latest software to fix all the niggles.

The N95 has been my most complete phone to date and I have had my fair share of problems on my N95, but its ou been replaced or sent away for repair yet, and i got it when it 1st came out.

Posted via Mobile Device

I got mine on release day and it's only had one issue - the screen went funny about a month ago - got a free repair and they even replaced the case and keyboard because it had a few scuffs on.

It's a very complete package, just slightly bulky and only really comes to life if you install extra software and have a friendly data package so you can use the phone features fully.

Phones4U apparently say they expect the N85 to be available mid/late November now. Bah.

The N85 is the one i would go for if my contract was up anytime soon. Unfortunately i think i still have another year to go so i guess something smaller and better will be out by then.

I don't like the fact that nokia seem to be doing some misdrection. Its as if the N85 is the new flagship with all the new toys and yet they are promoting the N96 as the "top consumer model". Did they lose a lot of money on the N95 that they need to recoup?

I'm not sure, from what I can see the N85 is going to be the mass market phone, the one that sells the most, I suspect the advertising around it will be quite extensive but as it's not ready why not flog some unsuspecting people who don't read up on things a white elephant flagship?

It's 11 better for starters :)

I suspect the advertising around it will be quite extensive

I've seen reviews and hype about the N96 for months though, plus lots of places have had it available to pre-order for that same amount of time.

With the N85 supposedly being released just around the corner there's still hardly anything out there.

I've seen reviews and hype about the N96 for months though, plus lots of places have had it available to pre-order for that same amount of time.

With the N85 supposedly being released just around the corner there's still hardly anything out there.

Maybe as a result of it being 18 months since the N95 release and lots of contracts coming up for renewal?

Nokia probably wanted to "upgrade" as many N95 users as possible without them wandering elsewhere while waiting for the N85.

Perhaps your normal phone user only considers it an upgrade if the numbers go up? And... and... and... let's not forget the built in TV tuner that's no use :)

Hype on their newest phone to maintain sales against the competition that's already released, then keep up sales on that phone until the better one is released, then cross fingers and hope all those stupid people Michael mentioned sell up and buy another phone as well!!

//edit: Or what he said.

The n96 (which is not much better than a n95 8g) does look like it is out purely to catch unsuspecting n95 upgraders, the n85 pretty good. If i can get my head/hand round the soon to be released htc diamond hd, it will probably replace my trusty n95.

Posted via Mobile Device

That looks really good, and it's not got Windows Mobile on it which is great. Only problem might be the optical pointing device. I had a play on a WM Samsung phone with one of those the other day and found it tough to use.. it's too grippy on the finger.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bored with waiting for the N85 now, it seems you can buy them from Nokia or places like Expansys but none of the providers seem to be rushing to pimp them out.

I've gone off the N96 completely, the G1 has a crap camera and is too clunky... I'm thinking Omnia at the moment but it's not really thrilling me due to the OS.